Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default ASVAB Scores

Working on some military templates for my campaign world, I've been looking at the ASVAB test. Are there any statistics for the percentage of correct answers test takers usually get for each subtest and what ASVAB score that gives them?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
cosmicfish

Default Re: ASVAB Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Working on some military templates for my campaign world, I've been looking at the ASVAB test. Are there any statistics for the percentage of correct answers test takers usually get for each subtest and what ASVAB score that gives them?
Publicly available? I don't think so. More importantly, why is it necessary? I've run pretty realistic (I hope) military campaigns before and have never seen the need to include ASVAB scores...
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Purple Haze

Yes. Exactly 50%, they are continuosly renormalized so that the average is 50% and so that exactly 50% are above and below average.

If you'd Googled it the first link would have told you that.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Yes. Exactly 50%, they are continuosly renormalized so that the average is 50% and so that exactly 50% are above and below average.

If you'd Googled it the first link would have told you that.
I did google it and that's why I was asking. Your comment was not helpful.

What I wanted was a transformation from the raw score (the number of correctly answered questions) to the ASVAB score for each subtest. Or in other words, X percent of test takers usually get 1 correct answer on GS and get an ASVAB score of Y, doing the same for 2 correct answers all the way up to 25 correct answers and what their ASVAB score is. And then doing the same for all the other subtests.

As that transformation varies from one test to another, I wanted an average transformation spread out over a number of tests.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Publicly available? I don't think so. More importantly, why is it necessary? I've run pretty realistic (I hope) military campaigns before and have never seen the need to include ASVAB scores...
I hoped that someone had found something I hadn't been able to find, but I was aware that it might not be publicly available. And I found it an interesting point of view, so I wanted to check it out.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Purple Haze

Quote:
I did google it and that's why I was asking. Your comment was not helpful.

What I wanted was a transformation from the raw score (the number of correctly answered questions) to the ASVAB score for each subtest. Or in other words, X percent of test takers usually get 1 correct answer on GS and get an ASVAB score of Y, doing the same for 2 correct answers all the way up to 25 correct answers and what their ASVAB score is. And then doing the same for all the other subtests.

As that transformation varies from one test to another, I wanted an average transformation spread out over a number of tests.
And if you'd read your Google you'd know that that information is not publically available if it exists at all.

And they are continually renormallizing so that the answer to all such questions is 50%.

The only interesting statistic is that high school graduates are expected to score 65%, showing that the average enlistee is still mentally retarded. Nothing has changed in the last thirty-five years.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
cosmicfish

Quote:
I hoped that someone had found something I hadn't been able to find, but I was aware that it might not be publicly available. And I found it an interesting point of view, so I wanted to check it out.
As Purple Haze noted, this is neither public nor likely any kind of constant - the statistical breakdown probably varies considerably year to year. My point was that this is a games forum, and I cannot fathom how this topic (however interesting to you) would be applied to GURPS. Why would any character's ASVAB score be relevent?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
And if you'd read your Google you'd know that that information is not publically available if it exists at all.

And they are continually renormallizing so that the answer to all such questions is 50%.

The only interesting statistic is that high school graduates are expected to score 65%, showing that the average enlistee is still mentally retarded. Nothing has changed in the last thirty-five years.
I read what I googled and I found no comment about this information not being public.

I know they renormalize them. But as I explained, I'm not after a single number, though that 65% is useful. It seems you do not understand my question and I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-11-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
As Purple Haze noted, this is neither public nor likely any kind of constant - the statistical breakdown probably varies considerably year to year. My point was that this is a games forum, and I cannot fathom how this topic (however interesting to you) would be applied to GURPS. Why would any character's ASVAB score be relevent?
I am aware that the scores will vary from one test to another as they renormalize them. I was looking at ASVAB scores for template creation so I figured this was the best forum to post it in, perhaps I should have posted it in one of the other forums.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-11-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #10
Purple Haze

ASVAB score are utterly useless for template creation. They are too fine grained and they have nothing to to with being a soldier.

Start with: ST +1 [10], IQ -1 [-20], Fit [5], ...

Tags
asvab, military