Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Paper talismans

Hello everyone!

So if I wanted to make a character who makes heavy use of paper talismans that each have a one use charm on them, that she makes herself, what's the advantage for that?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Paper talismans

What if anything do the Talismans do?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

I see them as kinda one-use mini spells, like one-use wards against paranormal monsters, detecting or hindering them, detecting magical phenomenon or disrupting magic, wards against poison, sickness, and other miscellaneous small magical effects.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Astromancer

Way not simply make it a variant of Path/Book Magic. Using the Talisman is completing the ritual. Make the Skill your PC uses to do magic TRUE RUNES-VH which is like Ritual Magic except that you must write down your spells on consecrated paper with magical writing tools. Thus you can make paper Talismans to use later, but can't cast on the fly once you've used the pre-prepared Talismans up.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
WaterAndWindSpirit

Path magic? What sourcebook is that in? Guess I'll get a new GURPS book soon... It's nearing Xmas after all...
Old 10-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
WingedKagouti

I'd suggest Symbol Magic (from Magic, p.205):
Quote:
A properly trained person can use these systems to work magic. This most commonly takes the form of scrolls and items enchanted with powerful glyphs
In the "Parchment Symbol Casting" section (p.207):
Quote:
Symbols can be written on parchment or paper to create a temporary magic item.
You can find information about Path Magic in Thaumatology if you're curious about that variation.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Paper talismans could also function as conditional spells for RPM. Each conditional spell would have a condition that triggered it, like being targeted by an attack or saying a specific word, and they could even be given to companions. Of course, you are limited to (Thaumotology plus Magery) conditional spells at a time, so you would not want to give too many of them away.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Ritual Path Magic "charms" function in exactly this manner.

"Preparation Required" can cover the creation of the talismans, but you can only Prep an ability once. Having an ability where you can store up multiple uses is Limited Use. ("Requires Reload" is tempting, but the RAW examples are very fast (seconds), so probably not a good fit unless these talismans can be created just by scribbling on a Post-It note with a pencil. if it is that easy, then that's what "reloading" means.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Refplace

When going for versatility magic is almost always cheaper than powers. Powers is often more effective at a specific thing than magic for the same number of points, though not always.
GURPS Thaumatology is a great workbook for magic systems but is designed more for the GM than the player because its focus is on building a magic system rather than handing you a premade one with an exhaustive spell list.
The Thaumatology series does have several books that give a prebuilt magic system, including Ritual Path Magic or RPM which would work for what you want.
The Powers series gives ideas on how to do things with advantages/powers and includes a lot of prebuilt examples, but it will be less versatile.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Path magic? What sourcebook is that in? Guess I'll get a new GURPS book soon... It's nearing Xmas after all...
Try GURPS:Thaumatology. There's a section on it. It's cheaper buying the PDF.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote