Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

How much of a limitation would "Only to switch Alternate Ability" be to Compartmentalized Mind?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Compartmentalized Mind allows an additional Mental (Concentrate) Maneuver.
Switching an Alternative Ability takes a Ready Maneuver. So, limiting CM in that way really doesn't make any sense, as switching your Alternative Abilities isn't a mental action.

I have seen the suggestion that it's fair as a -80% limitation for Altered Time Rate, which would allow an extra Ready Maneuver.

PK also suggests paying 2/5 for instant switch Alternative Abilities would be fair.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Compartmentalized Mind allows an additional Mental (Concentrate) Maneuver.
Switching an Alternative Ability takes a Ready Maneuver. So, limiting CM in that way really doesn't make any sense, as switching your Alternative Abilities isn't a mental action.

I have seen the suggestion that it's fair as a -80% limitation for Altered Time Rate, which would allow an extra Ready Maneuver.

PK also suggests paying 2/5 for instant switch Alternative Abilities would be fair.
PK's suggestion is sensible to apply to this case.

If you're interested in an Extra Ready maneuver, it has come up quite a few times over the years. I've seen estimates from 10 points (which seems a bit low to me) up to 25 (same as Extra Attack). Searching on those keywords should find the pertinent threads.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Compartmentalized Mind allows an additional Mental (Concentrate) Maneuver.
Switching an Alternative Ability takes a Ready Maneuver. So, limiting CM in that way really doesn't make any sense, as switching your Alternative Abilities isn't a mental action.

I have seen the suggestion that it's fair as a -80% limitation for Altered Time Rate, which would allow an extra Ready Maneuver.

PK also suggests paying 2/5 for instant switch Alternative Abilities would be fair.
I probably should have checked the corresponded maneuvers before asking the question, instead of going with my gut feeling. At least my gut feeling -80% was spot on.

Thanks for the ATR info.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
munin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vermont, USA
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

I think that was before he became a line editor. In GURPS Psionic Powers he uses Reduced Time, +20% to make alternative abilities instantaneous (for example, changing Rapid Launch from -4 for a regular ability to -6 as applied to an alternative ability set).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
PK
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
I think that was before he became a line editor. In GURPS Psionic Powers he uses Reduced Time, +20% to make alternative abilities instantaneous (for example, changing Rapid Launch from -4 for a regular ability to -6 as applied to an alternative ability set).
Which was also before I became a line editor. :)

And actually, it's worth noting that the extra -2 is in no way explicitly stated to come from Reduced Time. In my mind, it was a much fuzzier "well, by comparison to Reduced Time and to my thoughts on taking Alternative Abilities from 1/5 to 2/5, another -2 seems right."
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Which was also before I became a line editor. :)

And actually, it's worth noting that the extra -2 is in no way explicitly stated to come from Reduced Time. In my mind, it was a much fuzzier "well, by comparison to Reduced Time and to my thoughts on taking Alternative Abilities from 1/5 to 2/5, another -2 seems right."
More important than the actual timeline, do you still endorse either solution (2/5 or [20] Insta-switch).
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
PK
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
More important than the actual timeline, do you still endorse either solution (2/5 or [20] Insta-switch).
Speaking solely as a GM, I'd lean toward the 2/5 solution. The "requires a second to switch" is an important limiter to noncombat AAs, and I think going to 2/5 will usually give a fair value for bypassing that. However, that said, I don't think this should be something that ever makes it past "optional rule" even within the contest of a given GM's campaign; getting around the one-second drawback is the kind of thing that should be uncommon at best. Because of that, I don't want to officially endorse any specific answer as RAW (and have not raised the issue with Kromm).
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Speaking solely as a GM, I'd lean toward the 2/5 solution. The "requires a second to switch" is an important limiter to noncombat AAs, and I think going to 2/5 will usually give a fair value for bypassing that. However, that said, I don't think this should be something that ever makes it past "optional rule" even within the contest of a given GM's campaign; getting around the one-second drawback is the kind of thing that should be uncommon at best. Because of that, I don't want to officially endorse any specific answer as RAW (and have not raised the issue with Kromm).
The voice of judicious restraint :)
'Course, just having said it years ago lends some legal weight to it, so I appreciate the caveat.

GMs, just figure out if it makes sense for your games rather than relying on "canonicity".
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Compartmentalized Mind only to switch Alternate Abilities

One thing towards the Ops request,
Switching between purely mental abilitries can use Concentrate instead of Ready.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.