Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Anthony

Default Appropriate names for small damage scales

GURPS 4e introduced such concepts as D-scale, C-scale, and M-scale, for 10s, 100s, or 1,000s of hp. It's a pretty obvious variant to reverse this, so Bunnies and Burrows might be played on 1/10 scale, War of the Tin Soldiers on 1/100 scale, and For Queen and Hive on 1/1,000 scale, but I'm puzzling how to name them.

The standard metric version would be d-scale for 1/10, c-scale for 1/100, and m-scale for 1/1,000. That's obviously confusing, and in any case GURPS didn't use the metric scale for larger (which would be dk-scale, h-scale, and k-scale), but I'm not aware of any other reasonably well-established naming conventions (I could use HO-scale for 1:87, but let's not...).

Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Appropriate names for small damage scales

For 1/10, I'd call it fractional scale or F-scale; 1/100 could be micro-scale, maybe call it R-scale, and 1/1000 could be nano-scale or N-scale.

Just my 2 coppers worth.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
GURPS 4e introduced such concepts as D-scale, C-scale, and M-scale, for 10s, 100s, or 1,000s of hp. It's a pretty obvious variant to reverse this, so Bunnies and Burrows might be played on 1/10 scale, War of the Tin Soldiers on 1/100 scale, and For Queen and Hive on 1/1,000 scale, but I'm puzzling how to name them.

The standard metric version would be d-scale for 1/10, c-scale for 1/100, and m-scale for 1/1,000. That's obviously confusing, and in any case GURPS didn't use the metric scale for larger (which would be dk-scale, h-scale, and k-scale), but I'm not aware of any other reasonably well-established naming conventions (I could use HO-scale for 1:87, but let's not...).

Thoughts?
Just throwing this out to get the conversation started:
pert-scale (per ten) for 1/10, perc-scale (per cent) for 1/100, and perm-scale (per mil) for 1/1000
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The standard metric version would be d-scale for 1/10, c-scale for 1/100, and m-scale for 1/1,000.
What about just writing it out: deci-scale, centi-scale and mili-scale?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Ejidoth

I ran a short game where PCs were a 2-3 inch tall fae, and I referred to deci-scale and centi-scale like sir_pudding mentions. On charsheets I wrote deci-scale traits as 0.<traitname>, like 0.Damage and 0.HP, making them look like weird decimal numbers. :P

So the 2" tall pixie race had average 0.HP and 0.ST of 3, which would both be 0.3 in the normal system scale.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote