Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Frosty

Default Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

The lack of a table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite Fourth Edition has always puzzled me. Is there a reason why it was excluded?

EDIT: I just realised that this also applies to GURPS Lite Third Edition.

Last edited by Frosty; 01-12-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
The lack of a table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite Fourth Edition has always puzzled me. Is there a reason why it was excluded?

Space considerations?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Frosty

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Quote:

Space considerations?
That probably was a contributing factor, but I don't think that was the reason why.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The Rapid Fire rules don't appear in GURPS Lite.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The Rapid Fire rules don't appear in GURPS Lite.
Oh. So the simplified mechanics of GURPS Lite don't allow for the use of submachine guns?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Oh. So the simplified mechanics of GURPS Lite don't allow for the use of submachine guns?
Yeah, David Pulver has said that the Shotgun was included by mistake.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
That probably was a contributing factor, but I don't think that was the reason why.
I don't see why you need to look further than that. Most of GURPS isn't in GURPS Lite. Dozens of advantages, disadvantages, skills, rules, etc. Picking out one thing and saying "Why not this?" seems backwards. Why do you think submachine guns are so vital to GURPS that A) SJGames should give away those rules for free and B) give up some of that vital 32 page real-estate?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I don't see why you need to look further than that. Most of GURPS isn't in GURPS Lite. Dozens of advantages, disadvantages, skills, rules, etc. Picking out one thing and saying "Why not this?" seems backwards. Why do you think submachine guns are so vital to GURPS that A) SJGames should give away those rules for free and B) give up some of that vital 32 page real-estate?
The skill for submachine guns was still included in GURPS Lite Fourth Edition.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Mailanka

Quote:
The skill for submachine guns was still included in GURPS Lite Fourth Edition.
So was Flamethrower, but no actual flamethrower weapon, and Blowpipe, but no blowpipe weapon. They included Physician, but they don't include any rules for it (the only medical rules are first aid). Flail skill, but no flails. Engineering, but no invention rules, Occultism but no magic, electronic ops but no electronics, computer ops but no computers, explosives but no rules for explosives, vehicle skills but no vehicles. Want me to go on?

It's a sample product. It's a pretty good one, and you can even run a game from it, but it's very far from complete.

Tags
edition, fourth, gurps, lite, table