Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
tlalchitonatiuh

Default Adding more than six players

I'm sorry if this is a common question, i didn't find it in the FAQ or with a cursory look at the forums, but in older editions it allowed for more than 6 players if you using multiple decks, but now it seems that's no longer allowed. is this a common houserule people use? or has it just fallen out of practice?
tlalchitonatiuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Adding more than six players

It was always a house rule, if one could call it that. Never have the rules said anything different than 3-6 players, nor has any expansions suggested, hinted at, or proposed that one should consider a different player count. This doesn't mean that more people couldn't play, but the suggested size is suggested because play becomes tedious or problematic (as some people can attest) with larger groups and the ideal for a game is for it to be fun, not tedious or problematic.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
SmokeRulz

As Eric said, it's basically just a common house rule. Also, honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to play with more than 6 players with just a base set, due to the number of cards. If you're running some expansions (or playing a Blender game), then yeah, you certainly have more than enough cards to handle more than 6 players. Just be prepared, because even having 6 players, games can go on pretty long and feel really tedious at times. I believe the highest player count I had in one of my games was 9 players. It took several hours and ultimately we all had fun, but it really got a bit tiring by the end.

One possible way to handle a lot of players is going by how my first ever Munchkin game I played went, at a GenCon SoCal. We had 12 players, and halfway through the game the GM split the group in half, since we were playing with two tables of 6 anyway. The entire group was still only using the same decks (they were already split in half from the start), and once a single person won on either table, the entire game was over. (Believe it or not, it ended on a Divine Intervention card, played on the other table, while my table had a Level 9 Cleric!)
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
emillang1000

Base set, more than 6 isn't gonna work.

Munchkin 1-8, plus all the packs, promos, etc., I've done games of 8 or more easily.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
RL

Even with just six players, a base set alone may run out of Treasures and force a reshuffle. I've had that happen, and it's sort of weird because a bunch of the reshuffled Treasure cards are GUALs. So anyone who's not at level 9 tends to get a quick boost.