Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
yoho

Default Ghoulfiends and bonuses

Hello. I ran into this old topic but I'd like to clarify further.

We played yesterday the very basic Muchkin and one of us being already on level 9 got "Ghoulfiends" when opened a Door. Another player said that you can modify Ghoulfiends with a card like "Enraged". The first player said: No you can't it's level only and no bonuses but "Pollymorph" or other cards which "deny" monster are allowed.

The problem is, we're all Russians and we play russian deck. And russian card says, literally: "No bonuses will help you in battle against them. Defeat them with greatness of your level". In english I see: "No items or other bonuses help against them – fight with your Level only"

So could you please clarify how exactly this works? Do I understand it correctly that bonuses do not help against Ghoulfiends only (but can help them)?
And... what are those "bonuses" mentioned exactly?
* Is Warrior or Thief ability is a bonus I cannot use (I mean, get stronger as Warrior or make fighting player weaker as a thief)?
* Is potion of invisibility or pollymorph a bonus I cannot use?
* Is a card like "Enraged" a bonus I cannot use?
* is a card like "Freezing Explosive Potion" or "Pretty Balloons" a bonus I cannot use?
* does this rule still work when I throw a dice trying to flee from battle?

Thank you
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Ghoulfiends and bonuses

Any bonus for the munchkin side (e.g., standard Items, one-shot Items, Class/Race abilities) will not count when Ghoulfiends is on the Monster side Only your Level will matter for calculating your combat strength. Bonuses for the Monster side, including Monster Enhancers specifically played on the Ghoulfiends, will count. Penalties to either side, will count, so a Thief could backstab someone fighting Ghoulfiends.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghoulfiends, rules clarification