Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Keiko
Banned

Default Why doesn't Brawling have a Default?

It seems like a pretty straight forward skill that anyone would have some chance of performing.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Why doesn't Brawling have a Default?

Anybody can punch or bite at DX for thrust-1 crushing, kick at DX-2 for thrust crushing, or wield brass knuckles, a blackjack, or a stun gun at full DX; see p. B271. Likewise, anyone can parry barehanded at (DX/2)+3; see pp. B376-377. These things don't require any special skill.

Brawling is specifically the ability to do that well, allowing you to replace "DX" with "Brawling" in those formulas, if higher, and possibly gain a small damage bonus if you know it at DX+2 or better. It also encompasses a few dirty-fighting tricks that require actual training; many techniques that default to Brawling at some penalty don't default to DX.

In effect, everyone has default Brawling equal to DX, but it isn't written that way in an effort to differentiate training that gives access to techniques from untrained unarmed ability that doesn't allow those moves.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In effect, everyone has default Brawling equal to DX, but it isn't written that way in an effort to differentiate training that gives access to techniques from untrained unarmed ability that doesn't allow those moves.
I know what you mean Kromm, but I'm afraid your wording is misleading. I remember you listing several relevant benefits of having Brawling at DX compared to just using your DX with no Brawling. IIRC they were more relevant in an actual tavern brawl than in a formal duel on an infinite flat hexagon. E.g. a parry with each hand does not seem to be covered by techniques - it's just the way Brawling Parries.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Anaraxes

This 2006 thread has some more details.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=20754
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

I know what you mean Kromm, but I'm afraid your wording is misleading.
For the most part, and especially the way most people play the game, that's close enough. The details of parries, unusual combat moves, etc. are mostly relevant to gamers who've switched on large parts of GURPS Martial Arts. In a typical just-the-Basic Set campaign, it's safe enough to treat Brawling as "improvable DX for barehanded combat."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Just to present a dissenting view point (and probably get shot down in minutes) I'm actually in favor of making Brawling default to DX-4, like any other Easy skill. Wrestling would default to DX-5, while the more "advanced" unarmed skills have no default. This makes untrained hand-to-hand skills parallel untrained melee weapon skills; it actually becomes beneficial for average Joe to pick up that stick to defend himself with. Yes, they'll have to use All-Out and/or Telegraphic attacks to have a chance of hitting, but that's already strongly suggested by Martial Arts (Untrained Fighters, p113). This just changes it from a compulsion to a tactical necessity.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Just to present a dissenting view point (and probably get shot down in minutes) I'm actually in favor of making Brawling default to DX-4, like any other Easy skill. Wrestling would default to DX-5, while the more "advanced" unarmed skills have no default. This makes untrained hand-to-hand skills parallel untrained melee weapon skills; it actually becomes beneficial for average Joe to pick up that stick to defend himself with. Yes, they'll have to use All-Out and/or Telegraphic attacks to have a chance of hitting, but that's already strongly suggested by Martial Arts (Untrained Fighters, p113). This just changes it from a compulsion to a tactical necessity.
Feel ya, bro. I wonder if all mêlée defaults should be halved across the board - both the DX-5ish ones and the between-skill ones. Bastardswordsmen are particularly hurt by them, as is anybody picking up a bottle or 2×4, as you mentioned.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Are you then going to say that the guy with no unarmed skills fights at DX-4/DX-5? Rather than at DX as currently?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Libertine

Quote:
I agree with that. If you want a good idea of what to expect from a fight where no one has brawl, loook no further than the Firth/Grant fight in Bridget Jones Diary. Modern day human instinctual combat looks rather silly but a fast/strong enough person could still hurt someone.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
an infinite flat hexagon
*tries to rationalize this*

*head asplodes*

Tags
evaluate telegraphic, kromm explanation, telegraphic evaluate