Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Best magic for Ancient Egypt?

Running an Ancient Egypt campaign (historical fantasy), and though none of my players have opted to go for a magic sort, they might in the future. I'm thinking Path/Book would be the best fit (with the Book of Coming Forth Into the Light, i.e. the Book of the Dead being the archetype), but I have mostly theoretical experience with it. Any better suggestions, or ideas how to best adapt it?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Best magic for Ancient Egypt?

Yeah, Path/Book seems a good fit, magic tends to slow and ritualistic. I'd invent a few Paths and Books as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Phantasm

I might consider effect-shaping Ritual Path Magic instead, with some books describing the rituals but nothing stopping the creation of new rituals.

I'd also keep things rather low-key, with overt magic (like tossing a fireball) as a Greater effect.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

The Energy Accumulation rules, either for Path/Book or RPM, would probably be a better fit for Egyptian magic. The rituals were mechanically very simple and straightforward, they just required mystical energy. Each Path/Book would manifest as the magician adopting the mantle of a specific deity and, through emulating that deity, drawing upon the mystical energies of that deity.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Astromancer

From what I've read by Wallace Bubge, it sounds like path/book. Illusions and using writing as a ritual element both were big. Chants and mantra-like things were in too. I'd also read up on the corespondences in GURS: Cabal because matterial components seem to be a thing in Egyptian takes. Have different gods have influence over one or more decands because that makes evoking the gods useful in magic. Many spells referenced the stories of the gods in order to have the god evoked perform a similar magic. Note there was nothing like a separation between religion and magic. Spells and prayers were routinely blended together.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
Astromancer

Just checked. Wallace Bubge's Egyptian Magic is available on Kendell for 99 cents. Used paperbacks of the Dover edition have to be cheap on Amazon.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
Shostak

There is a section on magic in the excellent GURPS Egypt which is in print. That section might help inform creating the Books one might feature if using Path/Book, or use them as-is for standard magic.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:58 AM   #8
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Just checked. Wallace Bubge's Egyptian Magic is available on Kendell for 99 cents. Used paperbacks of the Dover edition have to be cheap on Amazon.
There is also the free Internet Archive version. If you want to convert the epub format so Kindle can use it, Digital Reads has step by step instructions Of course there is the iBooks option for the iPad/iMac crowd.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:36 AM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
There is a section on magic in the excellent GURPS Egypt which is in print. That section might help inform creating the Books one might feature if using Path/Book, or use them as-is for standard magic.
I looked over that section and about the only thing of use is the first two paragraphs, a paragraph on Learning magic, and the new spells that follow.

The remainder suffers from the problem all Classic books did; instead of using Religion or Spirits to do magic, it tries to shoehorn everything into the default magic system. In cases like this it has a very square peg into round hole via sledgehammer feel to it.

The key parts of the paragraphs are these:

"The basis of Egyptian spellcasting was the belief that every word had inherent power. By speaking or writing properly crafted sentences, one could bring about changes in the nature of things."

"Magic words were symbolic keys to a deeper form of power. The true goal of sorcery was to attain a state of consciousness in which one saw the true nature of the universe and could change the universe through sheer will."

"The best-known Egyptian spellbook was the Book of Coming Forth By Day (see p. 93), known in modern times as the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Other popular spell collections include Amduat (That Which is in the Underworld), the Book of Gates, the Book of Overthrowing Apep, the Book of the Divine Cow and the Litany of Re."
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
There is also the free Internet Archive version. If you want to convert the epub format so Kindle can use it, Digital Reads has step by step instructions Of course there is the iBooks option for the iPad/iMac crowd.
That is amazing. Thanks.

I'm quite entertained by the first chapter, which basically says "They believed in an omnipotent creator god and in bodily resurection to an eternal paradise, yet they also held many superstitions." Oh, the lack of self-awareness...