Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #61
JMason

Default Re: Hey total newby here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
GURPS has it own 'gameism' moments, take Luck only being useable once per game hour for instance.
Sure, luck is always going to be a bit meta-gamey. But the in game idea that from time to time a character seems to have great luck, doesn't bother me nearly as much as something like, "X number of time per day I can perform this special attack move... but after that I'll have to wait till tomorrow." YMMV
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #62
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
But the in game idea that from time to time a character seems to have great luck, doesn't bother me nearly as much as something like, "X number of time per day I can perform this special attack move... but after that I'll have to wait till tomorrow." YMMV
I've made those exact abilities in GURPS. Usually it's "takes one hour to recharge"...

And "Y" ability is only usable "X" times per day is Luck, to a 'T'. Which is why I don't care about those gamist things in other games.

GURPS appeals to me because I can build the character I want to play, which isn't usually possible in other games.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #63
whswhs

Quote:
GURPS appeals to me because I can build the character I want to play, which isn't usually possible in other games.
I have found it possible to do that both in Big Eyes Small Mouth and in FUDGE. If anything, FUDGE gives you more leeway than GURPS does.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #64
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Sure, luck is always going to be a bit meta-gamey. But the in game idea that from time to time a character seems to have great luck, doesn't bother me nearly as much as something like, "X number of time per day I can perform this special attack move... but after that I'll have to wait till tomorrow." YMMV
That restriction made some sense with the old style of D&D Magic where you had to spend time focusing on what spells you wanted to use and then could use those spells once (per time you'd memorized them) until you rested again.

But it feels rather silly for abilities that aren't enabled by some sort of explained power source.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:24 AM   #65
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I have found it possible to do that both in Big Eyes Small Mouth...
When I last played BESM the whole "things cost what the GM decides they cost" was anathema to me (around 2000). I suspect I would have less issue with that now.

Quote:
and in FUDGE.
Never even seen FUDGE.

Quote:
If anything, FUDGE gives you more leeway than GURPS does.
If it's like FATE (which is derived from it) I can see people having that opinion. The whole concept of Aspects was so foreign to my group they've never wanted to play FATE though.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 AM   #66
Agemegos

Quote:
If it's like FATE (which is derived from it) I can see people having that opinion. The whole concept of Aspects was so foreign to my group they've never wanted to play FATE though.
FUDGE does not include Aspects. Fate was originally formed by adding Aspects to FUDGE.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #67
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
FUDGE does not include Aspects. Fate was originally formed by adding Aspects to FUDGE.
The FUDGE dice mechanic was also not a big draw in my crew. This was one of the three things that turned off my group from FFG's Star Wars ('funny' dice mechanics).
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #68
whswhs

Quote:
The FUDGE dice mechanic was also not a big draw in my crew. This was one of the three things that turned off my group from FFG's Star Wars ('funny' dice mechanics).
On one hand, I find the GURPS dice mechanic more transparent. On the other hand, the basic logic of GURPS, BESM, and FUDGE seems to be the same; it amounts to "roll N dice, and compare the sum to a required results based on character ability and task difficulty." On the gripping hand, though, issues about how FUDGE implements the dice mechanic are not issues about how generalizable or adaptable it is.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #69
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Since 1992, I've run 35 campaigns of lengths from six months to several years (I started my longest-running one in 2014). Of those, 15 have been in GURPS, in varied genres: classic science fiction, modern fantasy, postapocalyptic, weird, contemporary science fiction (mixed with mystery and with cosmic horror), swashbuckling, mythic fantasy, supers, caper, alternate history, historical fantasy, and steampunk/planetary romance. I've found it quite adaptable.
I've enjoyed reading about your creative campaigns since the old Pyramid forums. Have you kept a running list of them, perhaps with the blurbs from your campaign prospectuses? I'd love to see such a thing if it exists. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GURPS supplement called The Campaigns of William H. Stoddard.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #70
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I've enjoyed reading about your creative campaigns since the old Pyramid forums. Have you kept a running list of them, perhaps with the blurbs from your campaign prospectuses? I'd love to see such a thing if it exists. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GURPS supplement called The Campaigns of William H. Stoddard.
I don't have all of the campaign prospectuses; I didn't keep them around at the start. I could certainly do a list of the campaigns I've run over the past quarter century, though not right at this moment; I need to catch a bus. . . .