Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
aesir23

Default [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Inspired by this thread, I've decided to undertake a version of the DC Comics universe that matches my particular tastes as a player, GM, and as a comic book reader. These versions of DC heroes and villains won't be perfect representations of the heroes as they appear in the comics, movies, or tv shows—rather they will be “in spirit” re-interpretations. Sometimes I'll make changes “just because.”

My ultimate goal would be for this to be a tool by which players can adventure in a version of the DC Universe that is fun and feels right (to me).

Unlike t-brock1031's admirable work on the Marvel U, this is NOT going to be starting the DC heroes out early in their careers. My favorite official versions of the DCU are the “Timmverse” animated series and the period of the comics between Identity Crisis and Final Crisis. In my version of the DCU, Tim Drake is the current Robin and if Damian Wayne exists, Bruce doesn't know about him. Cassandra Cain is the current Batgirl and Barbara Gordon is Oracle.

Additionally, there have been two major waves of super-heroes in the DCU, the first wave included the Justice Society of America (made up of Alan Scott (Green Lantern), Jay Garrick (Flash), Wildcat, Sandman (Ted Knight), Hourman, Black Canary (Dinah Drake), etc...). They fought in WWII, but, thanks to a number of factors (time-travel, healing powers, etc...) they have aged at different rates and some are still in fighting condition (though a little gray around the edges). The second wave of heroes (including Batman, Superman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Dinah Laurel Lance, etc...) has been active for slightly less than a decade.

On major change I'm making to the DCU is in power level. The heroes of my DCU will not be of the earth-shattering variety—I plan to keep my A-List super-heroes between 750-1250 points, and even the likes of Superman will remain below D-Scale (unless they pay an Unusual Background).

Additionally, I'll be avoiding Wild Card skills unless they're part of an explicit super-power. I know they are often the best way to recreate super-heroes—this is just a matter of personal preference.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Power Modifiers

Super (Meta Gene) (-10%). Your powers are derived from the mysterious Meta-Gene. You're subject to Anti-Powers (e.g. Static and Neutralize) and Rare Technological Countermeasures. In most cases where a lab accident or exposure to chemicals created a super-being, this is the real cause. This is by far the most common origin in the DCU.
Exemplars: Black Canary, Poison Ivy, Vandal Savage.

Super (Elemental) (-5%). Your power is derived from an extra-dimensional force that represents an elemental building block of the universe. The Speed Force and The Green are two prominent elemental forces. There are no Countermeasures, but you are susceptible to appropriate Anti-Powers and in many cases and opposing force (e.g. The Negative Speed Force).
Exemplars: The Flash, Swamp Thing.

Super (Alien) (-10%) You are susceptible to Anti-Powers and Countermeasures, but they're different Countermeasures (Light from a Red Sun, etc...).
Exemplars: Superman, Martian Manhunter.

Super (Lantern Corps) (-25%), you derive your power from a power ring. Susceptible to Anti-Powers and Countermeasures--also includes Costs Fatigue (-5%) and Pact (Varies, usually a Duty or Code of Honor) (-10%).
Exemplars: Green Lantern, Sinestro.

Trained (-0%) You earned this ability the hard way, through training and exercise. This replaces the need for any Unusual Training or Special Exercises Perks and should be reserved for abilities that would normally be allowed with such a perk.
Exemplars: Batman, Green Arrow.

Magic -10% There is no such thing as "Mana" in the DCU, however, magical abilities are susceptible to their own sets of Anti-Powers and (magical) Countermeasures. Includes both overt spell-casters and people empowered by magic.
Exemplars: Dr. Fate, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel.

Super-Science (-10) As described in GURPS Supers, this is just Super with equipment, including robots. Reserved for technology that grants real superpowers, gadgets that approximate real world technology require no power modifier.
Exemplars: Cyborg, Metallo, The Metal Men, Red Tornado.

Cosmic (+50%) As described in GURPS Powers.
Exemplars: Darksied, The Endless.

Last edited by aesir23; 03-03-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
aesir23

DCU Martial Arts Styles
Almost every martial arts style available in any GURPS supplement is available in the DCU, provided a sufficient explanation. Additionally there are several new styles available:

Dragon Kung Fu 7

This was the style invented by Richard Dragon, one of the greatest martial artists ever to walk the earth. This is the closest thing to an “Ultimate Style” in the DCU.

He has passed this style on to several other characters of the DCU, who may have passed it on to others. Notable students of Dragon Kung Fu include: The Question (Vic Sage), Lady Shiva, Batman, Connor Hawk, and The Question (Renee Montoya)--any of these are capable to teaching Dragon Kung Fu to others.

Skills:]Acrobatics, Auto-Hypnosis, Breath Control, Judo, Jumping, Karate
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand, Aggressive Parry, Arm Lock (Judo), Choke Hold, Counter Attack (Karate), Elbow Strike, Exotic Hand Strike, Disarm (Karate or Judo), Feint (Karate or Acrobatics), Hammer Fist, Jump Kick, Kicking, Knee Strike, Spinning Punch, Spinning Kick.

Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting, Body Control, Breaking Blow, Kaia, Flying Leap, Immovable Stance, Light Walk, Mental Strength, Power Blow, Pressure Points, Pressure Secrets, Push, Sensitivity.

Cinematic Techniques: Flying Jump Kick, Precognitive Parry, Pressure Point Strike, Roll with Blow, Timed Defense, Whirlwind Attack (Karate)
Perks: Chi Resistance (Any), Style Adaptation (Any)

Optional Traits
Advantages: Danger Sense, Forceful Chi, Inner Balance, Perfect Balance, Trained by a Master.
Skills: Wrestling, Sumo Wresting, Any Weapon skill.

Trained by Batman 9

While wandering the earth turning himself into the perfect weapon against crime, Batman trained with many of the best martial artists in the world, including The Sensai, Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, David Cain, and Wildcat.

He has synthesized that training, into the skills most useful for fighting crime on the streets in an urban area. This is the style that he teaches to all of his side kicks, as well as other heroes he deems worthy. Among his students past and present are Nightwing, Robin, Oracle, and Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance).

Skills: Acrobatics, Climbing, Judo, Jumping, Karate, Running, Stealth, Thrown Weapon (Shuriken).

Techniques: Acrobatic Stand, Arm Lock, Attack from Above, Back Kick, Breakfall (Acrobatics or Judo), Choke Hold (Judo), Counterattack (Karate), Disarming (Karate or Shuriken), Elbow Strike, Feint (Karate), Jump Kick, Kicking, Knee Strike, Spinning Kick, Sweep (karate), Uppercut (Karate)

Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting, Breaking Blow, Mental Strength, Pressure Points

Cinematic Techniques: Flying Jump Kick, Hand Catch, Hand Clap Parry, Pressure Point Strike, Roll with Blow, Whirlwind Attack (Karate)

Perks: Cloaked, Improvised Weapons (Karate), Shtick (varies, pretty much any), Style Adaptation (Any, but Dragon Kung Fu, Shurikenjutsu, and Taijutsu seem most common.), Technique Adaptation (Can Disarm with Shuriken).

Optional Skills: Broadsword, Cloak, Smallsword, Staff, Two-Handed Sword

Moo Gi Gong 8

In the real world, Moo Gi Gong is the weapon training included in Hwarang Do. In the DCU, this martial art grants competency in nearly every melee weapon available. Practitioners are very likely to be Weapon Masters.

Notable practitioners include Arsenal (Roy Harper) and Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance).

Skills: Axe/Mace; Broadsword, Flail; Staff; Smallsword, Two-Handed Sword and at least one of Jitte/Sai, Knife, Kusari, Polearm, Shortsword, Spear, Tonfa, and Two-Handed Axe/Mace.

Techniques: Counterattack (any Weapon Skill), Feint (Any weapon skill in style)

Cinematic Skills: Power Blow, Pressure Points, Sensitivity

Cinematic Techniques: Dual-Weapon Attack (Any One-Handed Weapon); Dual-Weapon Defense (Any weapon skill in style); Pressure Point Strike (any weapon skill), Whirlwind Attack (Any weapon skill in style).

Perks: Dabbler (Any Group of Melee Weapon Skills), Grip Mastery (Staff); Grip Mastery (Katana), Improvised Weapons (any), Off-Hand Weapon Training (Any one-handed weapon skill in style); Style Adaptation (Any Armed Style from Asia), Technique Adaptation (Feint); Technique Adaptation (Whirlwind Attack), Weapon Adaptation (Any reasonable, As many times as you want.)

Optional Traits
Advantages: Ambidexterity; Combat Reflexes; Enhanced Parry (All), Weapon Master (All Melee Weapons).
Skills: Bow; Combat Art form of any weapon skill in style.

Last edited by aesir23; 03-25-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Wavefunction

Really excited to see where this leads. One note however, it'd be really helpful to include some formatting in your posts, similar to what tbrock has done with his posts, if you're going to be making a lot of them. For example putting titles or headings in bold. It simply makes the blocks of text much easier to read, certainly for me, and doesn't take much time.

The martial arts styles are a nice touch, and I like what you've done with them.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Power Modifiers

Super (Meta Gene) (-10%). Your powers are derived from the mysterious Meta-Gene. You're subject to Anti-Powers (e.g. Static and Neutralize) and Rare Technological Countermeasures. This is by far the most common

Super (Speed Force) (-5%) Your powers are derived from the Extra-Dimensional Speed Force. There are no Technological Countermeasures, but you're susceptible to the usual Anti-Powers, and the opposing power, Negative Speed Force.

Super (Kryptonian) (-10%) You are susceptible to Anti-Powers and Countermeasures, but they're different Countermeasures (Light from a Red Son, rare kryptonite varieties).

Super (Lantern Corps), Pending...Probably Supers with Costs Fatigue (Energy Reserve) (-5%)

Trained (-0%), You earned this ability the hard way, through training and exercise. This replaces the need for any Unusual Training or Special Exercises Perks and should be reserved for abilities that would normally be allowed with such a perk.

Any I'm missing?
Magic comes to mind immediately. And Chaos Magic and Order Magic are specific opposed subtypes. Also Holy and Unholy.

And of course Cyborg has a tech power source. And some characters are elemental although that's an add-on.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Really excited to see where this leads. One note however, it'd be really helpful to include some formatting in your posts, similar to what tbrock has done with his posts, if you're going to be making a lot of them. For example putting titles or headings in bold. It simply makes the blocks of text much easier to read, certainly for me, and doesn't take much time.

The martial arts styles are a nice touch, and I like what you've done with them.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'll go back and try to pretty things up as I go.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
aesir23

Hero: BATMAN

Billionaire Bruce Wayne's parents were gunned down when he was 8 years old. Since then, he's turned himself into a human weapon against crime.

Quote:
Name: Bruce Wayne AKA Batman

Attributes [420]
ST 17 [70]
DX 17 [140]
IQ 18 [160]
HT 15 [50]

HP 17
Will 18
Per 18
FP 15

Basic Lift 58
Damage 2d-1/3d+1

Basic Speed 8
Basic Move 8

Ground Move 8
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Languages: Chinese (Broken) [2]; English (Native) [0]; French (Accented) [4]; Japanese (Native) [6]; Russian (Accented) [4]; Spanish (Accented) [4].

Advantages [551]
Ally (Alfred) (20% of starting points) (Cost; 15 or less) [3]
Ally (Batgirl) (50% of starting points) (6 or less) [1]
Ally (Commissioner James Gordon) (25% of starting points) (9 or less) [1]
Ally (Nightwing) (75% of starting points) (6 or less) [2]
Ally (Robin, Boy Wonder) (50% of starting points) (9 or less) [2]
Appearance (Very Handsome) [16]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Contact (Oracle) (Effective Skill 21) (9 or less; Completely Reliable) [12]
Corporate Rank (5) [25]
Damage Resistance (Body Armor) (10) (Flexible; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed; Limited (Physical Attacks)) [25]
Damage Resistance (Trained) (1) (Tough Skin) [3]
Detective Talent (4) [40]
Flexibility [5]
Gadgeteer [25]
Gizmo (3) [15]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Less Sleep (2) [4]
Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) (Gadget Pool, 8 hours to reconfigure; Per point of abilities (+36); Physical Only) [72]
Reputation (Billionaire Playboy/Philanthropist) (2) (10 or less; Almost everyone) [5]
Reputation (As Batman) (Worlds Greatest Detective and Feared Vigilante) (4) (10 or less; Almost everyone) [10]
Single-Minded [5]
Status (+6) [5]
includes: +3 from 'Wealth', +2 from 'Corporate Rank'
Striking ST (Trained) (2) [10]
Trained By A Master [30]
Very Fit [15]
Very Rapid Healing [15]
Visualization [10]
Wealth (Multimillionaire 4) [150]

Perks [10]
Base (Batcave) [1]
Climbing Line [1]
Cloaked [1]
Intimidating Pose [1]
Style Familiarity (Dragon Kung Fu) [1]
Style Familiarity (Kenjutsu) [1]
Style Familiarity (Shurikenjutsu) [1]
Style Familiarity (Taijutsu) [1]
Style Familiarity (Trained by Batman) [1]
Technique Adaptation (Can Disarm with Shuriken) [1]

Disadvantages [-101]
Dependent (Alfred) (No more than 15%) (6 or less; Friend) [-6]
Dependent (Batgirl) (No more than 50%) (6 or less; Friend) [-2]
Dependent (Nightwing) (No more than 75%) (6 or less; Friend) [-1]
Dependent (Robin) (No more than 50%) (6 or less; Friend) [-2]
Enemy (Rogues Gallery) (Less powerful than the PC) (12 or less; Hunter) [-10]
Intolerance (Criminals) (One group) [-5]
Obsession (Fight Crime) (Long-Term Goal) (9 or less) [-15]
Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]
Secret Identity (Imprisonment or Exile) (Status 3+) [-30]
Sense of Duty (The People of Gotham) (Large Group) [-10]
Vow (Never Use Firearms) (Minor) [-5]

Quirks [-3]
Drinks Ginger Ale from Champagne Glasses [-1]
Hates Guns [-1]
Personality Change (Grim and serious in Batman Persona) [-1]

Packages [0]
Kenjutsu (Martial Arts) [0]
Shurikenjutsu (Martial Arts) [0]
Taijutsu (Martial Arts) [0]

Skills [218]
Acrobatics DX/H - DX+0 17 [4]
Acting IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Administration IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Area Knowledge (Gotham City) IQ/E - IQ+1 19 [2]
Area Knowledge (World) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Armoury/TL8 (Body Armor) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Armoury/TL8 (Melee Weapons) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Attack from Above (Karate) Tech/A - 22 [2]
Autohypnosis Will/H - Will-1 17 [2]
Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ-3 15 [1]
Blind Fighting Per/VH - Per-2 16 [2]
Boating/TL8 (Motorboat) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Body Control HT/VH - HT-2 13 [2]
Breaking Blow IQ/H - IQ+0 18 [4]
Breath Control HT/H - HT+0 15 [4]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+0 17 [2]
Chemistry/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Climbing DX/A - DX+3 20 [2]
includes: +3 from 'Flexibility'
Computer Hacking/TL8 IQ/VH - IQ-2 16 [2]
Computer Operation/TL8 IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Computer Programming/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Criminology/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+5 23 [4]
includes: +4 from 'Detective Talent'
Cryptography/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Business) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Science & Technology) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+0 18 [4]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Disarming (Thrown Weapon (Shuriken)) Tech/H - 22 [3]
Disguise/TL8 (Human) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Driving/TL8 (Automobile) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) IQ/A - IQ+3 21 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) IQ/A - IQ+3 21 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Surveillance) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Engineer/TL8 (Electronics) IQ/H - IQ-1 17 [2]
Engineer/TL8 (Materials) IQ/H - IQ-1 17 [2]
Escape DX/H - DX+1 18 [1]
includes: +3 from 'Flexibility'
Expert Skill (Computer Security) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Expert Skill (Hoplology) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Explosives/TL8 (Demolition) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Fast-Draw (Shuriken) DX/E - DX+1 18 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Finance IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
First Aid/TL8 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Forced Entry DX/E - DX+0 17 [1]
Forensics/TL8 IQ/H - IQ+4 22 [4]
Holdout IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Hypnotism (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Interrogation IQ/A - IQ+3 21 [1]
Intimidation Will/A - Will+1 19 [4]
Invisibility Art IQ/VH - IQ-1 17 [4]
Judo DX/H - DX+5 22 [24]
Jumping DX/E - DX+0 17 [1]
Karate DX/H - DX+5 22 [24]
Kicking (Karate) Tech/H - 22 [3]
Law (local) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Lockpicking/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+0 18 [2]
Machinist/TL8 IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Mechanic/TL8 (Aircraft) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Mechanic/TL8 (Automobile) IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Meditation Will/H - Will-2 16 [1]
Mental Strength Will/E - Will+0 18 [1]
Observation Per/A - Per+1 19 [4]
Occultism IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Parachuting/TL8 DX/E - DX+0 17 [1]
Physics/TL8 IQ/VH - IQ-3 15 [1]
Physiology/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Piloting/TL8 (Glider) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Piloting/TL8 (Helicopter) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Piloting/TL8 (High-Performance Airplane) DX/A - DX-1 16 [1]
Power Blow Will/H - Will+0 18 [4]
Pressure Points (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 16 [1]
Psychology (Human) IQ/H - IQ+2 20 [1]
Public Speaking IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Research/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+4 22 [2]
Roll with Blow (Judo) Tech/H - 22 [3]
Running HT/A - HT-1 14 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Dojo) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Savoir-Faire (High Society) IQ/E - IQ+0 18 [1]
Scuba/TL8 IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Search Per/A - Per+4 22 [2]
Sensitivity Per/VH - Per+0 18 [8]
Shadowing IQ/A - IQ+3 21 [1]
Skiing HT/H - HT-2 13 [1]
Sleight of Hand DX/H - DX-2 15 [1]
Speed-Reading IQ/A - IQ-1 17 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX+3 20 [12]
Streetwise IQ/A - IQ+3 21 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 15 [1]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ+0 18 [4]
Teaching IQ/A - IQ-5 13 [0]
Throwing DX/A - DX-3 14 [0]
Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) DX/E - DX+3 20 [8]
Tracking Per/A - Per-1 17 [1]
Two-Handed Sword DX/A - DX+0 17 [2]

Stats [420] Ads [551] Disads [-101] Quirks [-3] Skills [218] = Total [1095]
Notes for playing Batman:
Take note of this Gadget Pool--this enables him to have a gadget offering any physical advantage up to 36 points, or several smaller advantages adding up to 36 points. To switch which gadgets he has, he needs 8 hours in the Batcave.
Example of a common gadgets: Cape Glider: Fight (Gadget: Breakable (Size -2, Dr 10), Can Be Stolen (Forcibly Removed, Gliding, Winged)[8]. Electric Batarang (Burning Attack 3d (Follow-Up, Surge, Side-Effect:Seizure, Gadget Breakable DR16, Size -6, Can be stolen (Quick Contest) [36]

Last edited by aesir23; 03-07-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Magic comes to mind immediately. And Chaos Magic and Order Magic are specific opposed subtypes. Also Holy and Unholy.

And of course Cyborg has a tech power source. And some characters are elemental although that's an add-on.
Yes. Good catches, all. I'll go back and edit that post accordingly when I have more time.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post

Okay, I've made significant changes to my Power Modifiers all around. Tomorrow I'll upload several more characters.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
Phantasm

I was actually wondering when someone would do a GURPS Who's Who in the DCU. :)

A few things that jumped out at me:

I'd give a bit more background than one or two sentences. I mean, it works for Batman, but for someone a bit more obscure like, for example, Holly Granger/Hawk or Atom Girl of the "threeboot" LSH, we might be left going, "so, who is this guy?"

I'm not sure I'd call Oracle simply "Somewhat" Reliable. If anything, she's the embodiment of Totally Reliable for the members of the Batman family.

Your power modifiers look about how I'd separate them. I like 'em. (Minor tidbit, it's "red sun" when dealing with how Kryptonians and Daxamites interact with stars; "Red Son" was the Soviet-raised Superman timeline.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen