Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Blunt Trauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post

If we take a vest (DR 15, BT 3) and add an extra thick trauma plate (DR 45, BT 15), then a 5.56mm, with average damage of 17, would do no BT on average, while the 12.7mm would do 2.7 points. Is that 'significant' enough?
Quick suggestion: instead of flat damage, convert damage to dice. So 2.7 might be 1d-1 blunt trauma, whereas something where you did 6 points of BT might be 2d-1.

Adding the variable upper end means sometimes you get by with nothing, sometimes crap happens and you break ribs. I'd also consider (assuming it's not implicit in your stuff) that if armor is penetrated, ignore blunt trauma for certain classes of weapons (mostly piercing for bullets).
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
JazzJedi

Default Re: Blunt Trauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Quick suggestion: instead of flat damage, convert damage to dice. So 2.7 might be 1d-1 blunt trauma, whereas something where you did 6 points of BT might be 2d-1.

Adding the variable upper end means sometimes you get by with nothing, sometimes crap happens and you break ribs. I'd also consider (assuming it's not implicit in your stuff) that if armor is penetrated, ignore blunt trauma for certain classes of weapons (mostly piercing for bullets).
Variable BT is cool. And I also agree with you that BT should be ignored for cutting, impaling, and piercing attacks than penetrate armor.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, blunt trauma, damage resistance