Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Coinage

Default 4th Edition Mundanity

Quick Question. Has there been any 4th edition conversion of the "Mundanity" advantage/disadvantage from IOU? if so, could you provide a description, and/or a link?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Tyneras

Default Re: 4th Edition Mundanity

I don't know if it's been done before, but my first guess is it would be a form of static plus delusion.

Mundanity: 185/223/269
Level 1: Reality check 13, Personal Static
Level 2: Reality check 15, Mind Shield 5, 1 yard static radius
Level 3: Reality Check 17, Mind Shield 5, 16 yard radius

Delusion (Everything is normal.) [-15]
Static (Cosmic, +300%; Cosmic: Tech past my TL, +300%; Area of Effect 0/1/4, +0%/50%/200%; Always On, -20%; Unreliable(Reality Check) -15%/-5%/0%) (+565%/+625%/+780%) [200/218/264]
Mind Shield 5 [20]
Old 08-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Coinage

Wouldn't Neutralize would be a better base power? Static prevents all powers of one particular source from affecting the character that has Static. By contrast, Neutralize suppresses all of the victim’s powers of a given source.

Plus, in GURPS - 4th Edition - Powers - The Weird 2, there is the power of "Disempowerment". It allows one to Neutralize any source of power.

Plus, what power would force a manifestly Supernatural or Exotic person to take on a Mundane physiological appearance?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
Tyneras

I chose Static because Neutralize was targeted, Static was passive. The first cosmic modifier is taken directly from Neutralize for the "effects all powers" enhancement.

I figured monsters turning into people in costumes was a special effect for a silly universe, but you could tack on an affliction. Maybe it gives them an involuntary Alternate Form (Mundane Phenomenon).
Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
Coinage

Perhaps it would be something like this:

Affliction 1 (Will) [a racial template worth no more than your native racial template = 15 x+10%/1 point = 150] (B106, B83):
-Shapeshifting, Alternate Form, Human with Mundane Background, with no Supernatural, Exotic, or Cinematic traits. If your character is already human, then they simply become a version of themselves that has none of the afore-mentioned traits. This form comes with the following modifiers
--Adaptive Change, Extra-Heavy: Any magical equipment is either "absorbed", temporarily shunted into another pocket dimension, or is functionally turned into an equivalent mundane item (i.e., a magic saff becomes just a mundane staff, a ray gun acts like a toy prop, etc.)
--Reduced Duration: Once the target is becomes unobservable by any mundane senses, then the ability is over. This can be accomplished by either leaving the area or moving beyond sight (Humans cannot cannot see past the horizon) or by preventing the observer from being able to observe (via knocking out or killing)
--Uncontrollable Trigger: When a possessor of Mundanity successfully afflicts a viable target

Enhancements
-Area Effect: "in standard atmospheric conditions, for an observer with eye level above sea level by 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi)." [app. 5100 yd = 100 x 50 = + 50% = 75] (BB550
-Based on Will, [+20% = 30] (B102);
-Cosmic, Works through indirect observation, including cameras or other lenses (Power-Ups 4, p. 8) [+300%]
-Cosmic: Cannot be prevented by Neutralize, Static, or any other means of preventing a power from being utilized [+50% = 75]
-Ranged: 1/2D 10, Max 100, Acc 3, RoF 1, Shots N/A, and Recoil 1. [+40% = 60] (B107)
-Sense-Based, Reversed: All senses (Power-Ups 8, p. 17). [350%
Limitations
-Accessibility: Affects ONLY physical powers, NOT memories of the supernatural. Victims still have full knowledge and memories of supernatural or exotic events and experiences. [-5% = -10] (B110)
-Sense-Based, Reversed. This ability only affects objects that can be sensed directly. Once the object is becomes unobservable by any mundane senses, then the ability is over. This can be accomplished by either leaving the area or moving beyond sight (Humans cannot cannot see past the horizon) or by preventing the observer from being able to observe (via knocking out or killing).* [-45%= -68] (P105)
TOTAL: 328

*SOURCE: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=12.

Under certain conditions, this might require a Sense roll. However, this is not mandatory, and so was not covered in the points cost.

I can link it up with:
-Link: Neutralize (Cosmic) [+10% = 15] (B106)
Or some other version if necessary.

I know I've probably screwed some things up. Pointers would be appreciated.

This ability would be linked with the Cosmic Static you set up earlier.

Last edited by Coinage; 08-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
Coinage

One question I do have. Does shapeshifting affect clothing and gear?

If it does not, then would this version of Mundanity deal with super-scientific or magical equipment?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Mundanity is too powerful for 4e because it also affects racial templates and wild abilities. In essence, you would need to purchase Static for every source, plus Static for racial templates, Static for wild abilities, and Static for superscience. For example, in a typical supers setting, you would need to purchase Static at least a dozen times in have them work simultaneously. You would also need add Area Effect, which would increase cost dramatically.

For example, Static Girl possesses Static (Biological, Chi, Divine, Electronic, Elemental, Magic, Mechanical, Moral, Mutant, Nanotech, Nature, Psionic, Savant, Spirit, Super, and Superscience) [480]. Nothing with the above power modifiers is capable of affecting her. A cheaper version would have one as a primary and the rest as alternative abilities, though that probably should require Discriminatory (+150%) or Switchable (+100%), making the final cost 300 CP (for Discriminatory) or 240 CP (for Switchable). Despite this, she cannot suppress racial templates, wild abilities, or Cosmic powers. Alternatively, you could just give her the Cosmic enhancement from Neutralize, which would drop the cost to 165 CP (with Discriminatory) or 150 CP (with Switchable), and allow her to effect Cosmic powers, but that would only apply to one source per turn.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 08-07-2020 at 11:55 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
Coinage

Okay, what about a weaker version?

I statted out a weaker version of the ability up top. Basically, it turns the target into a Mundane person/object. This was the effect I was going for.

Obviously, I can reduce it or change it around. I can reduce the range if necessary. Or, I can add penalties to the Will roll to make it harder to use.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

I would not allow it because it is cheaper than Neutralize. You would need to Neutralize the abilities of the character first, and then you could give them a Mundane Background.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

It is a matter of fairness and point balance. Otherwise, I could make a character with Affliction (Will; Disadvantage, Mundane Background, +10%; Entended Duration, Permanent, +300%; Malediction 3, +200%) [61] and permanently nerf every supernatural character that they encounter. You generally have to pay for any benefit that you get in GURPS, so you would need to Neutralize before applying Mundane Background (as you are attempting to shut down the abilities of the target).