Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Gef

Default Last Call for players 7/25 biweekly

Howdy folks,

In present circumstances, my next game will be played over Zoom, which means I can extend an invitation to players who aren't local to me. The concept is modern fantasy, using the path magic system and a skepticim mechanic. At least some magicians, including the PCs, want to swing the culture toward acceptance of magic, opposed by Rationalists and Monothests (and each other). PCs are members of delegatiions meeting with magicians of other traditions to discuss common concerns. This is a "cold war" situation where people with great power mostly talk about what they can do, instead of actually doing it, because you have to tread carefully lest you tip into a hot war. Consolidating small gains is the way to go, but a well-timed and careflly targeted curse of blessing could have huge ramifications for society, if for instance a world leader misses a meeting. The campaign will take place in real time and posit magic explanations for real-world events as they occur.

Interested? There's a home-brew supplement you'll have to review, a combination of setting background, crunchy bits, and reference materials. Some of my would-be players have dropped out, so I have open seats for representatives of Celtic, Gypsy, Hermetic, Hindu, and Voodoo traditions, or maybe Egyptian, Shinto, or Tao.

Leave a reply here, and I'll PM you my email address; we've only got a week to whip up a character. I'd prefer to do that by you providing a concept, me writing a draft for your approval because I can do it fast and hit the less-obvious requirements.

GEF

PS: One more thing, magic as I'll represent it is morally gray, useful but dangerous and sometimes accessed by dangerous activities. Parties who oppose it, to any degree, have a point, and I can imagine players who personally sympathize with their view, but the PCs are on team pro-magic.

PPS: The title wasn's sufficiently clear, but I originally announced a call for players here: http://forums.sjgames.com/show

Last edited by Gef; 07-20-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: Last Call for players 7/25 biweekly

I can't join. I'm already committed to 2 campaigns that I'm running over skype & maptools. (One for my friends scattered over the country & the other teaching their kids GURPS.)

However, I just wanted to wish you good luck & have fun with your campaign.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
Gef

Thanks for the word and the bump, Tinman. Knowing you've got 2 skype-based campaigns gives me a bit more confidence.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #4
Hide

Hey there, I wish you the best on your campaing!

I am curious about your setting, so I have a few questions for you:

What’s going to be the language? (I suppose it is English)
How many players are in your campaign?
How do you roll the dice in zoom?
How long are the sessions?

What do you mean by "modern fantasy"? Stuff as seen in the movie "Bright"?
What is the PC budget?
Are people allowed to “fully” design their characters? (i.e. playing with characters other than GM/Book pre-made designs)
Is everybody going to be a mage or will the party feature other classes (e.g. thief, knight, cleric, etc.)?

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
bocephus

What is your target play time? I see your in CA, but Im GMT +2 which might put us too far out of sync or right in the ball park depending on when you plan to start stop. Also the day of the week matter to me.

I have some interest in the Celtic possibly the Gypsy slot as a backup, it wouldn't require a great deal of pre work to make those char.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
Gef

>>>Hey there, I wish you the best on your campaing!

Thanks!

>>>What’s going to be the language? (I suppose it is English)

English, correct.

>>>How many players are in your campaign?

Four confirmed so far.

>>>How do you roll the dice in zoom?

Ya know, we started with an app (in another campaign), but I actually like the idea of having a neutral player roll and call it out.

>>>How long are the sessions?

Subject to discussion, but 4hr is the minimum.

>>>What do you mean by "modern fantasy"? Stuff as seen in the movie "Bright"?

No way. I mean magicians using the path magic system, and they can summon spirits. Most magic is subtle, like good luck and faster healing, but the more obvious stuff is limited by Skepticism, meaning it gets harder when people are watching.

>>>What is the PC budget?

>>>Are people allowed to “fully” design their characters?

Yes. I have a template, but you can ignore it - it's there to show things you should think about. However, only normal (non-exotic, non-supernatural, non-cinematic) traits except for Magery and Higher Purpose. My preference is that players describe a concept, then I write a draft for their review, but I can waive that for folks experienced with GURPS.

>>>Is everybody going to be a mage

Yes, everybody is a magician, engaging diplomatically on behalf of different traditions, PPlayers will not form a "party". If you ever saw the TV show Babylon 5, you may remember when Vir and Leneer, two of the amabassadors' aides, shared a drink in a bar. The represented different factions, but they commirserated about a common experience. It's like that.

Last edited by Gef; 07-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Gef

What is your target play time? I see your in CA, but Im GMT +2 which

Hey Bocephus, yeah that's pretty extreme. My target is 2pm to at least 6p, Pacific. I could be persuaded to advance that to noon Pacific.

-GEF
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
Coinage

Greetings. I am quite interested in joining, however, I do need to know the time and date, as well as the means of joining Zoom. This'll be a first time playing GURPS for me, although I do extensively review the rules as much as possible. I would be interested in joining, if you are willing.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:54 AM   #9
Gef

Bocephus, Coinage, and Hide: I sent you a private message with my email address. Send me an email with your address, and I'll send your two documents.

1) The homebrew supplement Magic Vegas, which is just the latest version of what I posted in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=162430

2) A spreadsheet for character creation that contains the template from same. That said, to Hide's question, you are not required to follow the template.

3) I'll also send the zoom invites to that email address, once my wonderful wife gives me the details.

Character Creation:

We have a short time for this, so how to proceed depends on how busy you are:

Option 1 (you have time): Read the supplement paying attention to the example of how to write up a magic tradition. Choose Druidry, Egyptian, Hermetic, Shinto, Tao, or Buddhism, for which you can find thumbnails in the supplement, and do a full write-up. Counting research on the web, this would take me a full day, so budget that. Then make a character based on that tradition, again using guidelines from the supplement: Player characters are human (all spirits are NPCs), 250pt total and up to 50pt disads including marks of power, max 5 perks and max 5 quirks, and they can't have cinematic, exotic, or supernatural advantages except Magery or Higher Purpose. They can however have spirits as Allies, and spirits can have or bestow such advantages.

Option 2 (you're busy): Pick one of the traditions above and ask me to write it up; act fast because this takes me a day. Then describe a character concept to me which I'll draft for you to review and modify as you see fit. It'll help to consider the sample builds when proposing a concept.

Option 3 (you're a Hindu expert): Write up a Hindu or derivative magic tradition; by derivative I mean that Buddhism looks to me like a distinct philosophy but one whose magicians would use the same paths as Hindu, but that's a broad range. I see Hindu as a family of related traditions. Writing up Hindu would take me more than a day, but if you already jknow a lot about it, you might have time. Let me know.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post

>>>How do you roll the dice in zoom?

Ya know, we started with an app (in another campaign), but I actually like the idea of having a neutral player roll and call it out.
Hi Gef.

Seeing this is the way you are going about running the game, I want to urge you to check-out Maptools.

It doesn't use up a lot of bandwith & everyone can roll their own PC. There's even a way to do rolls that only the GM sees the result (for perception ect).
Also, as GM I can throw out tokens to give the players an idea of who & what they are up against. Also, I can put the enemies stats on the tokens to help me keep track (less paper shuffling & searching for stat sheets).

My group uses skype for audio instead of zoom as I think it uses less bandwith & the video is unnecessary with the map.

If you have any questions about either, feel free to PM me.
Anyway, I hope this helps & good luck with your campaign.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote