Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Star Trek Orions

EDIT: My most recent version can be found in this post.

Here is my first draft at Star Trek Orions. It's based primarily on Memory Alpha and GURPS Prime Directive.

ORION TEMPLATE (0 pts)
[ 10] ST +1 -- average Orion male ST is 11
[ 5] Appearance: attractive, universal
[ 5] Radiation Tolerance: PF 2
[ 5] Resistant: Disease, +8
[ -5] Compulsive Spending: CR 12
[-15] Greed: CR 12
[ -5] Intolerance (Legal System)

FEMALE LENS (-15 pts)
[-20] ST -2 -- average Orion female ST is 9
[ 5] Charisma 1
[-15] Lecherousness: CR 12
[ 15] remove Greed from Orion Template

SLAVE GIRL LENS (9 pts)
[1] Skill Adaptation: Persuade prerequisite Dancing at 12+
[1] Skill Adaptation: Suggest prerequisite Sex Appeal at 12+
[1] Skill Adaptation: Captivate prerequisite Erotic Art at 12+
[1] Dancing
[1] Erotic Art
[1] Sex Appeal
Enthrallment Skills
[1] Persuade
[1] Suggest
[1] Captivate

It seems like there there should be something beside Intolerance to model their disdain for legal systems. Anybody got a better idea?

I'm pretty sure my use of Skill Adaptation is not RAW, but couldn't think of a more appropriate way to describe the situation.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 01-16-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added edit that points to most recent version.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Star Trek Orions

Orion females need a mixture of Dominance Pheromones and Sex Pheromones from Biotech. I'd probably give both (but remove 'humans only' from Charisma). They should also all have Attractive at the least.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Orion females need a mixture of Dominance Pheromones and Sex Pheromones from Biotech. I'd probably give both (but remove 'humans only' from Charisma). They should also all have Attractive at the least.
Dominance Pheromones aren't needed unless you're basing it on the ones from Enterprise, which frankly I wouldn't.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Dominance Pheromones aren't needed unless you're basing it on the ones from Enterprise, which frankly I wouldn't.
*shrug* The ones from Enterprise are considered canon, and utilized in other Star Trek media. It makes them more interesting, too, rather than just being extremely generic 'attractive alien females'.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
adm

They may be cannon, but that does not necessarily make them a good idea for the style of game Captain Joy is looking for. Are they are a Federation member species as shown in the new movies, or a "monster of the week". If the former, how do you maintain chain of command?

Then there is implementation, is it an innate ability that all Orion females have? Or is it limited to the Alpha Female as part of the control mechanism for her troop, and what triggers it to occur in others? Is it an acquired abilty, i.e. drug (Like the Venus drug in the TOS episode Mudd's Women), genetic tampering, or mechanical. If acquired, can other species use it? If yes, which?

Making this work, without it being a bigger headache than it is worth, is the question.

Last edited by adm; 06-21-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Fixing my poor grammer, I hope.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
BaronVonStevie

that's good work. the lens for the orion slave girl seems right. I have to run around memory alpha for a while before I weigh in.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
They may be cannon, but that does not necessarily make them a good idea for the style of game Captain Joy is looking for. Are they are a Federation member species as shown in the new movies, or a "monster of the week". If the former, how do you maintain chain of command?
As designed, you can't since they won't follow regulations.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
As designed, you can't since they won't follow regulations.
True, I will note that ADB's Prime Directive addresses this, while there is an Orion Pirate Template in the core rule book, they have a separate one in PD:Federation that lacks the Dis Ads and some Ads in the core rule book. With more advertised in the upcoming PD:Orion Pirates.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
BaronVonStevie

the simple explaination IMO is that they don't consider what Orions are like in canon because for the new Trek films, Orions are just "green women". They might have above average looks by human standards. That might actually be it. That's all the writers of the new Trek films care about; canon prime universe Orions might not fit in with Starfleet, but in the new films just wave it and go "there are green chicks in Starfleet because people associate green chicks with Star Trek".

Ask yourself why they serve "Cardassian Sunrises" at bars in Iowa while you're at it. That's only in there to name drop "Cardassian". It makes no sense outside of it.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

Orions in my group's Star Trek game are pretty much physically-attractive green humans as far as physical stats go; the differences are cultural. They are the one group in the game that the GM has declared politically neutral (ie: neither a stated ally or enemy) to the Federation, but they're still a huge anti-authoritarian pain in the ass in places where we're the authorities, so dealing with them is a frequent but mixed proposition and we've been both allies and adversaries in various scenarios depending on our goals and can never quite know what to expect from them.

IMHO using a group like this enhances the game quite a lot, but whether you want the Orions to be that group or not is a matter of taste.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cultural templates, occupational templates, racial template, racial templates, sci-fi, star trek