Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Rabek

Default [THM/M] Reworking Clerical Magic?

I've only just signed up, but I've lurked the forums every so often the past year or so. I haven't seen anything for this particular idea, so I thought I'd come ask for help.

Please forgive me if I put in the tags incorrectly. I read the sticky.

I'm trying to get magic customized to my own setting I've developed over quite a long while. I've used the realms variant of flexible magic in the Thaumatology book for most of the 'traditional' magic of the setting.

What I'm trying to work out now is how to manage the religious magic without unbalancing things. Essentially how it is meant to work is each deity's power is more or less tied to the level of belief people have in that deity in a certain region (there are 'sanctity levels' in the base book that I believe could mirror this well). However, most deities are local deities, so having skills/spells for each deity is not really feasible.

Basically what I'm hoping to work out is a sort of religious magic that represents negotiating with a certain local deity to have an effect performed, while still keeping it flexible magic like the rest of the setting. I've looked over all the various options in the books I have access to, but I'm really not sure how to best model it without just making things too complex.

I'm also really not wanting to mess with house rules, since I'm not confident in my own ability to keep numbers balanced.

I do apologize if I've broken any forum etiquette in this post. I know each community has its own rules. Just hoping to get some help in the last steps of this setting so I can run this campaign for my players.
Rabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: [THM/M] Reworking Clerical Magic?

Do you have the Divine Power book?

The Reaction Roll based mechanic might well adapt to what your wanting
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabek View Post
Basically what I'm hoping to work out is a sort of religious magic that represents negotiating with a certain local deity to have an effect performed, while still keeping it flexible magic like the rest of the setting.
At that point your power is better represented as "Medium".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Rabek

Thank you for the replies!

I did look at Medium. It seems more for the ability to communicate with spirits. It doesn't have any effects beyond that, at least in the core book as far as I can tell.

I went ahead and found a copy of the Divine book. It seems very strongly balanced towards monotheistic religions, but it may work. Polytheism fits the world better, but the only real thing that makes it difficult is the -10 points of religious disadvantages.

Once again, thanks for the replies! Just curious if anyone else has any suggestions.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabek View Post
Thank you for the replies!

I did look at Medium. It seems more for the ability to communicate with spirits.
Which is what the gods are. Get Medium and Spirit Empathy and then ask them to do you a solid.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
patchwork

Have you considered using a Ritual magic system, with the governing skill being not Thaumatology or Ritual Magic bit Savoir-Faire (local gods)? Knowledge of specific colleges and techniques/spells represent entries on your celestial credit report, basically - "it's ok to let this guy have power over fire, he does cool stuff with it".

The difference between "Ritual Magic" and "Savoir-Faire (local gods)" is really cosmetic, but you might find it intuitive.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Anaraxes

If you bump Savoir-Faire up to VH, anyway.

You'll also want a high Theology skill for the pantheon so that you can rack up situational bonuses to the reaction rolls for having the proper offerings, timing, modes of address, and so on.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Rabek

I think I may end up using a mix of these! Something like the medium suggestion to ask them favors and using ritual magic/theology/local deities as modifiers to the request.

So a related question: How would you stat up a spirit that gains its power from local belief? I do recall a spirit template somewhere...

Once again, I appreciate all the replies! It's helping me quite a lot.

Tags
clerical magic, custom setting, flexible magic, magic, thaumatology