Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #21
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [DF] New Race: Wolf-Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would make them pastoralists. They are well suited for that anyway; there's a reason people use herding dogs. Pastoralists can have well-organized societies and can be a serious threat to civilized societies.
Considering one of my main recurring wolf-folk adventurers has being a shepherd as his background, I'll second that. He also has a personally sheepish nature (Chummy combined with Shyness).
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #22
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would make them pastoralists. They are well suited for that anyway; there's a reason people use herding dogs. Pastoralists can have well-organized societies and can be a serious threat to civilized societies.
Many pastoralists spend a lot of time hunting anyway; the sharp lines classifying economic and social types are a convenience for Ethnographers but vaguer in practice.

I could see pastoral wolf-folk too. They would not be as much a threat, not being as well armed. Pastoralists in the past were a threat because they had incredible mobility, and a weapons system perfectly matched to their lifestyle which they could practice with in normal life. Lupine graspers are simply not efficient enough to manage armed conflict as well as humans. The lupine jaw does not match the human hand, and humans have two hands and a mouth making a versatile flexibility in weapons and communication. The fact is humans are far more formidable even at close range. And even sedentary humans are probably about as mobile as wolf-men in a forced march. It took the advent of gunpowder for sedentarists to outpace nomads militarily. Whereas humans will outfight wolf-men almost right away.

In peacetime wolf-folk would be as efficient as human pastoralists and that would certainly be a way for them to provide a food supply that can sustain a large population.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Many pastoralists spend a lot of time hunting anyway; the sharp lines classifying economic and social types are a convenience for Ethnographers but vaguer in practice.

I could see pastoral wolf-folk too. They would not be as much a threat, not being as well armed. Pastoralists in the past were a threat because they had incredible mobility, and a weapons system perfectly matched to their lifestyle which they could practice with in normal life. Lupine graspers are simply not efficient enough to manage armed conflict as well as humans. The lupine jaw does not match the human hand, and humans have two hands and a mouth making a versatile flexibility in weapons and communication. The fact is humans are far more formidable even at close range. And even sedentary humans are probably about as mobile as wolf-men in a forced march. It took the advent of gunpowder for sedentarists to outpace nomads militarily. Whereas humans will outfight wolf-men almost right away.

In peacetime wolf-folk would be as efficient as human pastoralists and that would certainly be a way for them to provide a food supply that can sustain a large population.
Ok, are you talking about humanoid wolves or about horizontal wolves with intelligence?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, are you talking about humanoid wolves or about horizontal wolves with intelligence?
I assumed the OP was talking about wolves shaped more or less like wolves as we know in the normal world but endowed with sapience.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #25
Culture20

The Terror is costly, and I can think of two ways to bring it down: Accessibility, not against canines or wolf-men; All Out (the wolf-man must stand still with a raised head while howling)
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #26
zoncxs

Quote:
I assumed the OP was talking about wolves shaped more or less like wolves as we know in the normal world but endowed with sapience.
The OP was thinking in line with the cat-folk from DF series, so an upright wolf.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Anders

That was my impression as well. Something like the Vargmän from the Swedish RPG Drakar och Demoner.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #28
Bruno

Quote:
OPs template does not have Quadruped, nor the key traits from it (No Fine Manipulators, Extra Legs, Horizontal). So they're just as upright as humans and velociraptors.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #29
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
OPs template does not have Quadruped, nor the key traits from it (No Fine Manipulators, Extra Legs, Horizontal). So they're just as upright as humans and velociraptors.
If you are interested in horizontal wolf-folk, I built a racial template I'm rather fond of and posted it here.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, racial template, racial templates