Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2023, 08:08 AM   #10
Embassy of Time

Default Re: How to teach roleplaying games to teenagers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
Have them write up a half page or so about their characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Maybe they're inhibited but inhibition doesn't necessarily mean inability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
The channels should be a good way to show how the group dynamic works.
They actually did the half page 'essay' (their name for it, not mine) really well and loved it! All the character prep and rules stuff is going fine, but it seems to be the inhibition that trips them, and it actually borders on inability, I fear. They watch the videos and want to do things "right", constantly worrying (often out loud) what is the "right thing to do", like one might in a video game (I think? I don't play the popular ones). They grew up copying dances and quotes from online media, and I guess they try to copy things here, too, instead of freewheeling it. One of them writes creepy pastas and talked in private about how she mostly just "copies a formula" and puts her own spins on the stories. But she can't get that to work with this, of course. I think it's really an age/culture thing. I grew up imagining stuff from scratch, they grew up copying others and making adjustments to make something their own....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Chris Normand’s GURPS tutorial videos.....How to Be a GURPS GM.....1-Shot Adventures
Watch him regularly, gonna order that asap, aaaand whydidInotknowthiswasathinguntilnowthankyou!!!
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote