Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #201
Diomedes

Default Re: [Space] System Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I wonder if it's possible to get two planets in the liquid water zone?

I think it would require a close binary, and one would be mild and the other one hot/frozen...
I think I've managed three.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #202
Myrion

Indeed, Mook is right. The Starsystem Generator is now at https://ultima.vsos.ethz.ch/starsystem-gen/

and it is indeed simply a hosted version of the code at
https://github.com/tschoppi/starsystem-gen/

[EDIT] This is not my thread! This is a much older one, that I didn't know about. So no, this isn't the originally discussed program.
But it does create systems according to GURPS Space 4e, and has both a web-based GUI and a CLI capable of generating LaTeX output, which can be turned into PDFs.

Last edited by Myrion; 11-06-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Read the effin thread...
Myrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #203
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I wonder if it's possible to get two planets in the liquid water zone?

I think it would require a close binary, and one would be mild and the other one hot/frozen...
Yeah it is, great way to have multiple planets for the setting and avoid FTL
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 AM   #204
Myrion

Well, with the "Force Garden World" option, you get at least one habitable zone planet, and then you can just regenerate until you get a second one :)

Should happen often enough that you won't need hours for it.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #205
Myrion

With Seed 206366015 and "Force Garden World" you get one warm garden world (average temp 37°C, is the garden world) and one hot world (57°C).
The hot world officially has no atmosphere or hydrographic coverage, but you could just tweak it by saying it was terraformed.

There's another two worlds with significant hydro graphic coverage, but one is frozen and the other...
1648.4 K / 1375.25°C average surface temp. How is there still liquid water, you ask?

5671.52 atm pressure.
*scrunch*
Old 11-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #206
acrosome

The 4e system generator is kinda dated now, though, isn't it? Given what we now know about exoplanets? I'd be more interested in an updated version.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #207
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
The 4e system generator is kinda dated now, though, isn't it? Given what we now know about exoplanets? I'd be more interested in an updated version.
I don't think that info has really settled down. It just broke what we had before. If you can find a source that really talks about that sort of stuff, I'd be more than happy to look into it.

I've got a java program from college days that's close to a workable state --- or it would be if java as a brand name hadn't keeled over and died. The big thing that made it different was it had a gui interface that let you move planet positions once generated and tweak numbers on the fly. It also kept track of several systems.

I probably ought to try and dust that thing off sometime. Maybe get it to a better language. Though I'll be the first to say it was poorly written by a first or second year programmer.

I'd be tempted to move to javascript, but I think there are legal issues with that (primarily that you can read the tables and that's a substantial rules reprint).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #208
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Jon F. Zeigler is working on a new version for independent publication; see https://sharrukinspalace.com/ .
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #209
Myrion

That seems to be languishing on his backburner though.

I'd love to integrate such updated data into the GSSG, but for now we stick with what's in the book for maximum compatibility.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #210
MetaRob

It's a great program. If I were to add some functions to the wishlist, I would ask that:
  1. The planets would be in a random position in their orbits when we first see the system.
  2. That the system map could be advanced by an amount of time the GM chooses.
  3. Distances between planets at any given time could be calculated.
  4. Orbital positions could be tracked while the characters are away in another system.

Last edited by MetaRob; 12-04-2016 at 09:45 AM.
MetaRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, system generation