Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Pbuckley

Default Re: Paladin Heal in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
I'm trying to build a paladin-type warrior in GURPS. One key problem I'm having is that Healing power works off IQ. Is there a way to tweak things so I don't have to have him above-averagely intelligent or scholarly yet still strong in this 'faith' skill? Talent, perhaps? Can you have a talent with a Power-based skill among the 5? Or is there a secondary IQ stat that power users/mages could use to boost IQ for the purpose of this power alone? Like a very limited type of Magery?

Not sure how best to model it. He's basically a knight with once per day Lay on Hands (own race only, limited use).

Any assistance appreciated!
Yes the Holy Warrior from dungeon fantasy has a talent which applies to all of their "Holy Might" powers which includes a lay on hand like version of Healing. I think it also modified to go off of Will.

You could easily build it from the ground up, but sense it has already been done for you, just use that it works like a charm.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #12
Plane

mechanically I'm wondering how we define Undead, aside from perhaps having the Unliving modifier...

sometimes stuff like that seems to get folded into 0pt features but I want it split for crunch
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #13
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
mechanically I'm wondering how we define Undead, aside from perhaps having the Unliving modifier...

sometimes stuff like that seems to get folded into 0pt features but I want it split for crunch
Always stat the effect, not the name. Aside from a zero point feature that amounts to "affected by undead targeting effects" there isn't much that would apply to all undead beings.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:56 AM   #14
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Always stat the effect, not the name. Aside from a zero point feature that amounts to "affected by undead targeting effects" there isn't much that would apply to all undead beings.
I sometimes use a Unholy modifier for Demons, and Undead. This means the creature can be Turned by True Faith, and can be effected by Holy attacks (Which generally only work against such creatures, though they may work to a lesser degree on "Evil" mortals). Giving it a modifier Damages Unholy, works.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
Inky

That's a good plan. "Black magic" and "undead" don't necessarily imply each other, and sometimes one is the relevant point rather than the other.

Tags
limitations, magery, paladin, powers, reliable, skills for everyone, talent