Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #41
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Archers and Mages Attacking Every Turn (DF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Or the Magical Bolt power-up (DF11, p. 37), which does allow an attack each turn.
This allows for a specific power attack each turn. It doesn't solve the "Why can't I cast Lightning, Fireball, Stone Missile, etc, every turn?" question.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #42
LateCustomer

Thank you for all the feedback. You all gave me plenty to think on and consider.

I've ran a lot of D&D and GURPS games on and off since the 90s, so while I think I have a fairly decent grasp on things, I figured I could use a bit of outside perspective, and you all provided that in spades. My game starts in one week, and you all helped me make my final decisions to get things rolling, and all players seem happy (and I'm happy as well).

Thanks again.
LateCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 AM   #43
Tomsdad

One other point to make about the balance issue between people with bows attacking every turn compared to melee fighters attacking every turn (but having to be in melee to do so).

Your archer has range penalties to contend with. Now if the range is very short that's not such an issue. But if the range is very short you increase your chances of finding yourself in melee with a bow in your hand.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-28-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #44
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
We've played with allowing Compartmentalized Mind, but in the end most of us (as GMs) restrict it to NPCs only, since it's a ridiculously easy way to build "boss monster" spellcasters.
I allow it to anyone, assuming that they learn a magical-martial art style which includes a limited form of it.

Thayan Wandfighting includes the ability to trigger magical wands while making some form of Attack maneuver, using Main-Gauche skill for the wands. Advanced stylists can wield two wands at once, discharging magical effects at a rate which astonishes enemies.

The martial sub-sect of the Northern Wizards, the Warriors of the Argent Lance, teach advanced students how to attack and defend with a staff (and Force Staff, Force Saber or Force Sword) while casting some of their less complex spells simultaneously.

And so on.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #45
Kalzazz

As a DM I have no issue with mages buying CM, it isn't cheap, and is kind of like WM or Gunslinger or Heroic Archer in a 'differentiate wheats and chaffs' kind of way
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #46
Anthony

There's a separate game play issue with letting mages cast too fast: mages have limited energy reserves. If you let them burn through those reserves fast, either whatever they're doing wins the fight and everyone else is bored, or they run out of energy and get to sit there being bored and useless for the rest of the fight. Having characters with a heavy alpha strike like that isn't necessarily bad in a tactical wargame, but it's not great in an RPG.

Tags
action, archer, dungeon fantasy, mage, turn