Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #61
whswhs

Default Re: [Space] Panspermia and the Campgaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Earth 250 years ago, as you specified, though even 5,000 years ago you'd be able to detect and at least recognize as odd agricultural patterns in areas such as the Nile.
Okay, fair, for interplanetary distances. And I'll stipulate the Nile as looking odd a long way back, though I'm not sure if extraterrestrials would look at it and say "agriculture!" rather than just "anomalous growth pattern!"

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #62
scc

Is 3.7 billion years too you for this system? I think I can up the age with out too many consequences, from so playing around it looks like the biggest one is that I'll have to switch two planets orbit to keep a planet habitable (It will likely be outside to habitable zone, with the change, but the planet two orbits in will now enter the habitable zone)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #63
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Is 3.7 billion years too you for this system? I think I can up the age with out too many consequences, from so playing around it looks like the biggest one is that I'll have to switch two planets orbit to keep a planet habitable (It will likely be outside to habitable zone, with the change, but the planet two orbits in will now enter the habitable zone)
Probably not. As long as you've passed the stage of massive asteroid bombardments and planets have cooled enough to form solid crusts, life can begin. Just add water and a few amino acids!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #64
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Probably not. As long as you've passed the stage of massive asteroid bombardments and planets have cooled enough to form solid crusts, life can begin. Just add water and a few amino acids!
Panspermia does solve a few problems, even if it does raise some questions in it's wake, but it will also require more time
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #65
Nereidalbel

This week's Cosmos actually gives you a viable means of panspermia, which requires zero handwaiving on your part.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #66
dcarson

Spectroscopic examination of the atmosphere might spot mining and smelting sooner than you see agriculture.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evolution, space, system generation