Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
JamesSn0w

Default a conundrum of the floating nose and the halitosis potion

Hey guys, I've had a look around the forum and found similar scenarios but not quite the situation we had last night, so I decided to sign up to the forum and ask some more knowledgeable players for there opinion on the matter.

The situation was I was on level 9 and turned over a door card to reveal a floating nose card, I instantly player the potion of halitosis which kills the floating nose and gives me the victory. A moment later one of the other players decided to play a transferral potion so they could fight the floating nose and deny me the victory. This caused quite a bit of arguing, the way I see it, the floating nose is dead, you can't transfer a dead monster to a fight with someone else. Their defence was that after a monster is defeated you have 2.6 seconds to play a wandering monster card to keep someone in a fight.

In the end we put it to a vote and the votes were tied, I decided not to be a bitch and play the "well it's my game so I have the final say rule" and we carried on the game.

What do you guys think on the situation, I'm still convinced that I was screwed out of victory. Cheers for your time :)
JamesSn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: a conundrum of the floating nose and the halitosis potion

You were correct the first time. One the monster is dead, it is too late for someone else to take the combat or to play something to affect the combat. Since it was the only monster, one you killed it, the combat ended.
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Mister Ed

Well, no, the combat isn't instantly over, as someone could still wander in a monster. I'm just not sure if you can transfer a combat that currently has no monsters in it.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Blazinjsin

Could've sworn once all monsters are dead combat ends
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Mister Ed

When the monster(s) are dead, you can no longer play cards on THEM, but you can still play cards that have an effect on the combat during the "reasonable time" before declaring victory. The most common example of this is wandering in another monster to keep the combat going, but there are other cards that could be played as well to rob the person of their victory (and if I think of any other specific examples, I'll edit them in here).

Here's the relevant FAQ entry:

Quote:
Q. Does the "reasonable time rule" apply to defeating a monster without killing it, or just to killing it?
A. Any sort of defeat. If you defeat it without killing it, other players still have a reasonable time to play an applicable card to frustrate you. However, if you removed the only monster from the fight (with Magic Lamp, for instance), they cannot play Monster Enhancers or other similar cards that affect a specific monster, because there isn't one there to fight, and they can't use any special rules for bringing in monsters (such as the Shark rules from Munchkin Booty) that depend on having a monster in the fight. They can play Wandering Monster to bring in an entirely new monster, though, but they must do it at once.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
Could've sworn once all monsters are dead combat ends
You should check out the Combat section of the FAQ.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Blazinjsin

ok just read them. Does that mean that someone can use a Transferal Potion to take the combat after the monster was auto killed and take the treasure like in the original post? Or can i assume that you can't move a combat with no living monsters?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Clipper

No, for two reasons. First, I believe Transferral Potion does need a monster to be present in order for it to be played, so you need to wander in a monster first. Second, if you do successfully transfer the fight, monsters that are automatically killed before the use of Transferral Potion still count as being killed by the player that was in combat when he killed them and they get the levels and Treasures after the transferred combat ends.

Here's the FAQ entry for that:
Quote:
Q. I used an ability to automatically kill a monster. Another player used Wandering Monster to add a monster to the fight, and then played Transferral Potion to move the monster to himself. He beat it. Who gets the level and Treasures for the monster I killed?
A. You do; you killed it. (This has been ruled different ways at different times, but we got a ruling directly from Steve, so it trumps everything else.) You get your level and Treasures after the whole combat is resolved. If the other player also wins, you draw Treasures first.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
JamesSn0w

cheers for the advice guys. Since the monster was Dead and no one tried to play a wandering monster, I am going to claim victory.
JamesSn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Blazinjsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
No, for two reasons. First, I believe Transferral Potion does need a monster to be present in order for it to be played, so you need to wander in a monster first. Second, if you do successfully transfer the fight, monsters that are automatically killed before the use of Transferral Potion still count as being killed by the player that was in combat when he killed them and they get the levels and Treasures after the transferred combat ends.

Here's the FAQ entry for that:
I must have skimmed over that

Tags
floating nose, munchkin, potion of halitosis, rules clarification