Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: [SPACESHIP] UT Weapons on a Small Spaceship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Reloading time for large caliber rounds is going be longer, though I think that the majority of the low RoF comes from the assumption of aiming in the Acc calculations. A 2cm gun (a VRF SM+5 Medium Weapon) is doing a minimum of 30d(2) pi++ against targets in normal combat, fires 5 rounds per second, and can accurately target objects from 100 miles away without halving damage. Such a weapon is capable of tearing up most targets fairly quickly.
Actually, it must be firing more than 5 rounds per second, as SS explictly says it's allowing for 3+ seconds of aim. Thus it cannot be firing for more than 5 seconds in every 20s Spaceships turn, so it must have at least RoF 20.

The base RoF is at least 1/20. An 'improved' weapon has at least 1/10. A RF weapon must have at least RoF 2. An improved RF weapons has RoF 4+, and an improved VRF weapon RoF 40+.

So, my current game rule of 1/10, 1, 10 for normal RF and VRF is in error, and I'll be adjusting it, probably to 1/5, 2, 20 for the base weapons, and 1/3, 4, 40 for improved weapons.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Actually, it must be firing more than 5 rounds per second, as SS explictly says it's allowing for 3+ seconds of aim. Thus it cannot be firing for more than 5 seconds in every 20s Spaceships turn, so it must have at least RoF 20.

The base RoF is at least 1/20. An 'improved' weapon has at least 1/10. A RF weapon must have at least RoF 2. An improved RF weapons has RoF 4+, and an improved VRF weapon RoF 40+.

So, my current game rule of 1/10, 1, 10 for normal RF and VRF is in error, and I'll be adjusting it, probably to 1/5, 2, 20 for the base weapons, and 1/3, 4, 40 for improved weapons.
Of course, it's possible for those weapons to have ammo feeds or charging cycles that don't permit sustained fire at the maximum rates. Under the rules angle you're taking, it would be entirely possible that VRF weapons have RoF 20 but need 3 seconds downtime between bursts.

A different angle, obviously not authorial intent in writing Spaceships considering the order of releases and text, would use a couple bits from Tactical Shooting. Follow-Up Shots (p14) from a mounted weapon allows you to aim once and then pour on fire at full without stopping to aim again. You keep the Acc bonus for aiming, though I think not the bonus for extra turns of aiming. That loss, however, can be made up by a turret mounting getting a +4 bonus for bracing instead of +1 (p75). That would allow an interpretation where spaceship gunners aim for one second per target in a round and then fire at cyclic rate for the rest of the time.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

But it would actually have to be braced, unlike the weapon in the cargo hold example. Another thing to consider is ammunition. A 2cm VRF weapon takes up the equivalent of 1,000 lbs of mass and possesses 500 lbs in just ammunition.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
But it would actually have to be braced, unlike the weapon in the cargo hold example. Another thing to consider is ammunition. A 2cm VRF weapon takes up the equivalent of 1,000 lbs of mass and possesses 500 lbs in just ammunition.
A) I don't believe anybody at all has talked about a weapon in a cargo hold, as opposed to representing a turret on the ship that way - which makes perfect sense since there's already a gradient between weapon batteries and cargo holds in the RAW.

B) Even if it was literally in the cargo hold, if you put it on any kind of mounting such that it is even possible to use, that would make it braced.

Tags
spaceships, ultra tech