Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Pseudonym

Default Re: [DF19/RPM] Using life force to power magic?

Could be
Energy reserve(gizmo, special recharge)?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
That runs into the "no using magic to be better at magic" rule, unless some class of spells can only be cast using this stolen life force.
I don't see how. It's just processing raw fuel into something for better storage.
Like turning barely usable crude petroleum reserves into gasoline to power all the machinery including that used to process it all. That is not some perpetual motion machine which is how I always interpreted that "no magic to power magic" rule.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Could be
Energy reserve(gizmo, special recharge)?
This line of thinking makes it sound like smiths should pay points based not on skill use but by what they can make and are limited in how many items they can have in service at one time.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Now I'm wondering about using magic to drain life force but store it as some material that can be used to power magic later.
I think that secondary point was in another thread, but can't remember the thread title.

It could make for a somewhat dark steampunk tech feel if it takes the form of creepy glowing fluid.
Incantors don't have much use for FP but probably should be able to use paut the same as every other caster for the uses they do have.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Incantors don't have much use for FP but probably should be able to use paut the same as every other caster for the uses they do have.
FP can be used as a sacrifice, but the R.A.W. ratio of fatigue to energy is abysmal. But requiring magical draining of life force in the creation of a paut like substance sounds in the ballpark.
At least it wouldn't automatically cause more problems than any other possible source of magically generated valuables or income.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
FP can be used as a sacrifice, but the R.A.W. ratio of fatigue to energy is abysmal.
That's why I said "not much use" and not "no use".
Quote:
But requiring magical draining of life force in the creation of a paut like substance sounds in the ballpark.
I'm not sure that an Infusion that replicates paut is really a violation of the "no magic to help magic" rule, since it doesn't create any obvious recursive bonus explosions. If it is possible, then you can certainly combine it with sacrifice.

The other possibility is just have a form of raw magic extractable from living things in the setting.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy, incantation, necromancy, rpm