Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 02-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #21
Melkhior

Default Re: Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
(...)
Whatever works.
Are the latest ones in the GitHub repo you posted earlier?
Yes, they are. Another "issue" I thought of: some parts are 'functionally' identical but are using a different set of OpenLOCK bases. For instance, just a simple 90° turn in a 4"4 area can be on a single U piece (4x4), but also on a pair of R pieces (cut longitudinally 4"x2"), a pair of OA pieces (cut diagonally), a V piece (outside is rounded like the track), or a pair of Y pieces (triangles smaller than OA). Easier and faster to print.

Some are also cut because there's no matching base (a 90° elongated turn on a 6"x4" base, cut into three R pieces).

If there's a non-cut equivalent, I don't think the cut versions are very useful for designing - for the 4x4 turn90 the exception is the Y cut, which in theory allows to add track at a 45' angle. For 'cut-only' track, ideally, they would be added as a group as they make little sense individually.

Upd: I added the missing 'uncut' pieces.

Last edited by Melkhior; 02-11-2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Upd: I added the missing 'uncut' pieces.
Melkhior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #22
ammulder

I looked in GitHub. I didn't realize how many pieces you have. Can you suggest a small subset that I can start with just to make sure this it going to work reasonably? Maybe a couple straights and 90 degree turns and a non-track fuller tiles, all at "level 1"?

The fantasy tiles seem to use a predominantly 2" grid (the stupidly large variety of OpenLOCK base shapes notwithstanding), so I'll probably need to make some adjustments to work better if this will rely more on 3" tiles. That's fine, there are already reasons that a 1" grid might work better, I just haven't gone there yet. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
Melkhior

Quote:
I looked in GitHub. I didn't realize how many pieces you have. Can you suggest a small subset that I can start with just to make sure this it going to work reasonably? Maybe a couple straights and 90 degree turns and a non-track fuller tiles, all at "level 1"?
Yes, there's already quite a few :-) And no filler tiles yet - everything is for track (the idea is, there's plenty of OpenLOCK walls around that can be re-used for an Arena feel).

I'd say ignoring Z variations (level, banking, ramps, ...), a good starting point would be:

EA-RDO-Straight-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
EA-RDO-Crossing-Lvl0-v1.0.stl # less important
EA-RDO-Turn90-3-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
U-RDO-Turn90-4-Lvl0-v1.0.stl
U-RDO-Yinter90-Lvl0-v1.0.stl # less important
U-RDO-Side1-4-Lvl0-v1.0.stl

That would cover the basics to get the track shape (with some hard cornering :-) ). The larger 6x6 Turn90 would come next, but it seems it's missing as a single piece. Then the weirder 4x6 Turn90, but it's only in three pieces - twice, right and left.

And as you noticed, with a 2" track, you need at least 3" wide tiles... and for more complicated track patterns, larger area cut into several tiles.

Edit: It seems I can't generate 6x6 in a single piece, OpenSCAD crashes when generating the STL. Even adding a simple cube to the 6x6 OpenLOCK base causes a crash. Bug in OpenSCAD or weird geometry in the 6x6 base, I don't know.

Last edited by Melkhior; 02-12-2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: mention 6x6 issue
Old 02-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #24
ammulder

Well, it turned out that using 3x3 pieces threw a bit of a wrench into things -- I hadn't dealt with that before.

But I've made some progress. Here's my first track layout:

http://dungeonprint.com/images/oval-track.jpg

More later...

(FWIW I use Blender nearly exclusively, so I'm sorry to say, I don't have any insight into OpenSCAD problems. However, I've found prints of 4x4 and larger are way more subject to edge-lifting issues [not to mention bed size limits on cheaper printers], so it doesn't bother me personally to use smaller tiles and clip them together.)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #25
Melkhior

Quote:
But I've made some progress. Here's my first track layout: http://dungeonprint.com/images/oval-track.jpg
Neat! It also confirms I forgot a piece on the list - "SA-RDO-Straight-Lvl0-v1.0.stl" - a 1" piece of straight for padding. If you were to replace one of those 4" turn by a 3", you'd need a pair of those.

Quote:
However, I've found prints of 4x4 and larger are way more subject to edge-lifting issues [not to mention bed size limits on cheaper printers], so it doesn't bother me personally to use smaller tiles and clip them together.)
ABS or PLA? Running PLA on my Ultimaker 2, I've never had much warping issue. I'm painting a 4" turn as 4 2"x2" piece at the moment (with an added gun turret to keep everyone in line!), and it works just fine IMHO. OpenLOCK works really well that way.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
Melkhior

Quote:
Well, it turned out that using 3x3 pieces threw a bit of a wrench into things -- I hadn't dealt with that before.
Seems the first pieces have landed in the dungeon print studio :-)

The 4x4 pieces seem to move as they rotate, which make them hard to place. I checked, it happens in both Firefox (which has other issues such as the mouse wheel having no effect) and Chrome. Also - is there a list of patron-only features ? Not sure if save/load maps or printed/painted tiles are supposed to work with a free account.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #27
ammulder

Yes, as I said, there are some issues with these bigger tiles. I put it out there rather than wait, but it will need to improve a bit (and get more of your tiles in there) before I start really pointing people to it. :)

The thing is, I help run a gaming convention in the middle of March, and this time of year is a complete mess for me, so good progress will probably take a month.

Anyway, printed tile tracking is a patron feature right now (full list of patron stuff)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #28
Melkhior

Quote:
The thing is, I help run a gaming convention in the middle of March, and this time of year is a complete mess for me, so good progress will probably take a month.
No hurry, I understand how time-consuming such jobs can be.

In the meantime, here's an example of a 4"x4" 90° turn 3D-printed on four E tiles (2"x2"), with a gun turret to keep everyone in line. This ain't a BLUD track :-) Sorry for the dodgy paintjob, I'm not good at that.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Last edited by Melkhior; 02-27-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
Causty

Location: The misty vales of Avalon, over yonder from the lofty towers of castle the locals call .. Manchester

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere in theis thread as I have not read the full thing ... I recently found Wyloch on youtube and the Tabletop Crafters Guild group on Facebook .. they basically build scenery for table top games and mostly fantasy rpgs (with figure painting and a bit of cartography thrown in .. any way Wyloch recently did a "How to ..." vid based on a home built "OpenLOCK" dungeon tile set , am thinking that this, simply being a few pieces of card, painted and linked via a tonguing system could allow people on here to make loads of interlocking road pieces and maybe build some road side scenery too ...
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #30
ammulder

It would be great if tons of people shared Car Wars OpenLOCK STL models, so we could combine our efforts to build tracks, arenas, etc.

But you might be underestimating the effort involved. :)