Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Embassy of Time

Default [GURPS Heart Corps] Can AI design a GURPS campaign?

No. No, it definitely cannot. We need people like Kromm and the gang, trust me. I tried.

However, since I have been roped into helping develop a campaign setting and some campaign content for a large (little over a dozen) group of teens, I found myself in need of some help. So I tried out ChatGPT, partly inspired by this thread. I will host the bulk of the results elsewhere, but I am hoping to get suggestions and questions to help me along from people in here. Especially, AI apparently cannot handle stuff like rules, so how I can best utilize GURPS to flesh out the campaign setting is a big question of mine. They will be using a simplified version of GURPS (I will post the ways it is simplified, later), but most suggestions that work for 'normal' GURPS should still work for this, too.

The Setting
Heart Corps is a behemoth organization, merging the strategies of Scientology, Walmart, Amway, megachurches and Disney into a cultural-capitalistic juggernaut, rivaling some nations in revenue! But of course, it has a dark(er) side, and deep inside its warehouses are Artifacts Man Was Not Meant To Know, creatures (and some customers) locked up for study, and employee training programs dealing with alien technology, spellcasting, and worse! HeartCorps is basically Worst-Case Illuminati, but gone public with a gentle, loving facade. Sources of inspiration include GURPS IOU, GURPS Black Ops / Warehouse 23 / SCP, and Paranoia RPG.

The Campaign
The participants are split into three GMs and 12-15 players, all interchangeable, to make everything more stable. They start out with 25 point characters (you read that right, 25 points), but with more rapid growth than usual, to allow them to "grow into" the campaign. Death is going to be scary at first, but as the campaign goes on, there will be... ways... of circumventing it. The focus is on mystery, with action as a natural byproduct. Few advanced rules are used, at least at first, and the main rules are, as mentioned, simplified for a streamlined experience. Powers are not a part of it at first, but can be developed (including with points) later on.

Using AI
In my admittedly limited experience with using AI for this purpose, it has become clear that no AI can truly be creative. They just take existing ideas and re-dress them as something they suggested. That said, they are good at lists of ideas and regular content, from products found at a spititually 'enlightened' megamall, to weird people found working inside giant corporations. Their usability is all about phrasing things right. Oh yeah, and any time you use the term "weird" or a direct synonym, you will find the phrase "inter-dimensional" used, immediately!
A much bigger problem is that available AI have filters on them, making them unwilling to discuss most things in any kind of negative light. Getting it towrite a public presentation of Heart Corps was easy; getting it to write an article bout hidden dangers was impossible. Ideas and suggestions on that problem are very welcome!

Help Needed
As mentioned, the bulk of stuff (especially AI generated stuff) will be put online... somewhere, because I hate the feeling of spamming a forum. I am open to ideas and suggestions, but even moreso to questions that might lead down an interesting path! I especially want to find clever ways to use AI like ChatGPT to support the creation of the setting and campaign, so anything that can be a 'content seed', like types of things for it to list, are very welcome!
And the big thing is GURPS itself. I want to make creative use of the system's strengths, so how to easily implement Powers, or what special rule (including homebrews, if you got 'em) could help flesh out some aspect of the setting or campaign.

I know this is a bit here and there, but I am still trying to get back into the game (literally, I haven't really GURPSed for about a decade!), and I need to wrap my head around all this kinda while I write a lot of it. And while I try to explain to the most advanced technology available to the public that it's okay to make a completely fictional organization out to be a villain!

To Be Continued...

Last edited by Embassy of Time; 02-08-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
Embassy of Time

Default Re: [GURPS Heart Corps] Can AI design a GURPS campaign?

An example of one of the things AI apparently does well is write an intro to Heart Corps so squeaky clean it is actually creepy:
Quote:
Write a pamphlet introducing and promoting Heart Corps

Heart Corps is a vibrant community that brings together people from all walks of life, united by a common purpose: to create a better world for all. Our mission is to empower individuals to reach their full potential and lead fulfilling lives, while also making a positive impact on society as a whole.

At the core of Heart Corps is a set of principles and practices that have been proven to bring about lasting change in people's lives. Our members learn how to tap into their own inner strength and creativity, developing the skills and confidence they need to achieve their goals and live life to the fullest.

One of the key aspects of Heart Corps is its emphasis on personal growth and development. Whether you're looking to improve your relationships, increase your income, or just find more meaning in life, our programs are designed to help you reach your goals. Our supportive community provides a safe and nurturing environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive.

In addition to personal development, Heart Corps is also dedicated to making a difference in the world. Our members are encouraged to get involved in their local communities, volunteering their time and resources to help others and create positive change. Whether it's through supporting local charities, volunteering at schools, or participating in environmental initiatives, Heart Corps members are making a real impact in the world.

So why choose Heart Corps? The answer is simple: because we offer a unique combination of personal growth, community support, and a sense of purpose that you won't find anywhere else. Our proven methods and principles have helped countless people achieve their goals and live more fulfilling lives, and we're confident that we can help you do the same.

Whether you're looking for a new career, a new community, or just a new direction in life, Heart Corps is the perfect place to start. Join us today, and discover the power of a life lived with purpose!
However, it seems impossible to make it write a skeptical counter pamphlet. Heart Corps is meant as a secret(ish) Big Bad, but accusational stuff gets the ol' "not gonna do that" from the AI. I do have a handwritten skeptical counterpoint, and may end up using it, but if anyone knows a way to make prompts that produce something like it, let me know.

Also, what are the best ways to model a GURPS organiaztion? I seem to remember a PDF that had something on that...

Last edited by Embassy of Time; 02-08-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:27 AM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy of Time View Post
Also, what are the best ways to model a GURPS organiaztion? I seem to remember a PDF that had something on that...
Boardroom and Curia is the official organization book. Though I've had it since it came out, I've only flipped through it, so I can't speculate on how useful it would be.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:49 AM   #4
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Boardroom and Curia is the official organization book. Though I've had it since it came out, I've only flipped through it, so I can't speculate on how useful it would be.
I actually thought it would be GURPS Social Engineering. How do the two books compare??
Old 02-09-2023, 05:54 AM   #5
zoncxs

Quote:
I actually thought it would be GURPS Social Engineering. How do the two books compare??
Boardroom and Curia is to GURPS Social Engineering as GURPS Psionic Powers is to GURPS Powers.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:19 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
GURPS Social Engineering covers pretty much all social interactions ("social engineering" is a term, I believe largely originating from the hacking community, for using social interactions to manipulate people, extract information from them, etc), while GURPS Boardroom and Curia is all about designing and codifying social organizations. I think SE does have some rules for organizations, however, with B&C being a more in-depth look at them.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Boardroom and Curia is to GURPS Social Engineering as GURPS Psionic Powers is to GURPS Powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
GURPS Social Engineering covers pretty much all social interactions ("social engineering" is a term, I believe largely originating from the hacking community, for using social interactions to manipulate people, extract information from them, etc), while GURPS Boardroom and Curia is all about designing and codifying social organizations. I think SE does have some rules for organizations, however, with B&C being a more in-depth look at them.
Sounds like they should be one big book! Which to pick, decisions, decisions....
Old 02-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #8
Embassy of Time

Still trying to crack the nut of making the AI be more creatively specific, while being way too sick, but for the purposes of the campaign, I had it run this quickly:
Quote:
Describe ten ways a person might encounter the organization.

Joining a local Heart Corps community center or wellness center offering fitness classes, workshops and support groups.
Attending a Heart Corps sponsored event such as a charity walk or a community festival.
Participating in a Heart Corps training program or course to enhance personal and professional development.
Purchasing Heart Corps branded products from their online store or retail locations.
Engaging in Heart Corps philanthropic initiatives such as volunteering for their community outreach programs.
Seeing Heart Corps advertisements on TV, radio, or online.
Visiting a Heart Corps-owned and operated retail store for products and services.
Receiving Heart Corps informational literature in the mail or at community events.
Participating in Heart Corps online forums or social media groups.
Hearing about Heart Corps from friends, family, or colleagues who are members or have participated in their programs.
It does do lists really well, so finding ways to describe things with lists is something I'm looking into...

Last edited by Embassy of Time; 02-09-2023 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
Prime Evil

Chat GPT is in its infancy. I find one of its best uses is bulk placename generation. Consider the following prompt:

Quote:
"Create a list of fourty fictional English placenames of Anglo-Saxon or Old Norse origin. Present the placenames in a modern English form, accurately accounting for linguistic changes over the centuries. The placenames should be plausible but must not correspond to any location in the real world. Provide a brief etymology for each location."
This produced the following output:

Quote:
1. Elsingham – Old English, meaning ‘Æþel’s settlement’
2. Arleigh – Old English, meaning ‘Eagle meadow’
3. Kexwick - Old Norse "Kexviðr" meaning "cheese farmstead".
4. Sunby – Old Norse, meaning ‘Sun farmstead’
5. Grendleford – Old English, meaning ‘Grendel’s ford’
6. Oswinbury – Old English, meaning ‘Oswin’s fortification’
7. Mereby - Old Norse "Mjǫrviðr" meaning "lake farmstead".
8. Wicford – Old English, meaning ‘Wicca’s ford’
9. Woburne – Old English, meaning ‘Wōh’s stream’
10. Garsdale - Old Norse "Garð-dalr" meaning "Gard's valley".
11. Oxton – Old English, meaning ‘Occa’s estate’
12. Uggleby - Old Norse "Uggl-by" meaning "owl village".
13. Ashcote – Old English, meaning ‘Ash tree cottage’
14. Rothley – Old English, meaning ‘Hroð’s meadow’
15. Little Nedding – Old English, meaning ‘Nedda’s people’
16. Ravenscar - Old Norse, "Hrafn-skarð" meaning "ravens' scar".
17. Evedon – Old English, meaning ‘Eofa’s hill’
18. Boarstoke – Old English, meaning ‘Boar’s stream’
19. Thrunton - Old Norse, "Þrún-tun" meaning "Thrún's farmstead".
20. Ethelwick – Old English, meaning ‘Æþel’s dairy farm’
21. Grinley – Old English, meaning ‘Gryna’s meadow’
22. Wansfell - Old Norse, "Vangr-fjall" meaning "meadow mountain".
23. Tarnside - Old Norse, "Tarn-síða" meaning "Tarn's side".
24. Ayton - Old Norse, "Auð-tun" meaning "wealth farmstead".
25. Strathal – Old English, meaning ‘Straw hill’
26. Ockham – Old English, meaning ‘Oak homestead’
27. Rosthwaite - Old Norse, "Hróst-vatn" meaning "roaring water".
28. Flackmoor - Old Norse, "Flakki-mór" meaning "Flakki's moor".
29. Upper Skelton - Old Norse, "Skjöldr-tun" meaning "shield's farmstead"
30. Ulfstoke - Old English, meaning 'Wolf's dwelling'
31. Wrydham – Old English, meaning 'destiny settlement'
32. Heavingham - Old English, meaning 'High village'
33. Burgwell - Old English, meaning 'Fortified well'
34. Severnsea - Old English, meaning 'River of the sea'
35. Eggebourne - Old English, meaning 'River of the edge'
36. Holmehurst - Old English, meaning 'Island of the wooded hill'
37. Lunningham - Old English, meaning 'Lonely settlement'
38. Alfhalve - Old English, meaning 'Elfin hill'
39. Holmfirth – Old Norse, "Holmr-fjörðr" meaning ‘island wood’
40. Gilderholme – Old Norse, "Gildr-holmr" meaning ‘golden island’
I probably won't use all of these, but this is a great way to flesh out your fantasy maps. The biggest weakness is that it sometimes includes existing placenames, even though I asked it not to. You do need to perform some due diligence to ensure the placenames really are original. You can use the same technique to generate plausible placenames in any language.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:26 AM   #10
dcarson

It can apparently pass a MBA exam. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...ssor-rcna67036
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote