Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Smallsword with the Bronze Age 'Rapier?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
So the basic concept is a narrow bronze thrust-only knife- or sword-like weapon?

Use the stats for an Estoc, Tuck, or Large/Small Stiletto depending on length, change the material to Bronze, adjust damage and breakage stats as appropriate, and change TL from 3 or 4 to 1.

While the GURPS melee weapons catalog is extensive it isn't comprehensive. When you run across an oddball weapon think which existing weapons come closest, then fiddle with the stats as necessary.
I hadn't considered the estoc/tuck, so thank you.

On another note, the whole thing with the blades being riveted to the hilt because there's basically no tangs for them yet. I was thinking that this gives a penalty to resist breakage when swinging or impacted from the side, but is no problem (or too small a problem at the usual GURPS level of resolution) on the thrust. My current thinking is that the tangless riveted blades are either '-2 to resist breakage with three or fewer rivets, and -1 with four or more,' or '-2 with two rivets and -1 with three or more.' Not sure which fits better, and I might be further off than that.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fencing skill, low-tech, martial arts