Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #571
jason taylor

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
The Pepsi Empire:

Due to an odd trade deal with the USSR that landed them 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate, and a destroyer, Pepsi briefly became the 6th most powerful navy in the world... Until they sold their navy to be scrapped. Or at least, that's the official story...

What if Pepsi had a history of such shady deals, and this was just the one time they got caught? What if they accumulated an arsenal over the years, and hired PMCs for personnel to invade 3rd world nations? And while the nations of the world would easily crush them on the battlefield, all it would take is one military defeat, and you would be forever known as the nation with the military that suffered a military defeat at the hands of a soda company, and your country will never live that incident down... No one wants to be the country that will forever be known that way... And we do fear ridicule more than we fear death, so a long protracted cold war of black ops sabotage and spying by deniable assets has just begun...
Several countries that got militarily defeated by a tea company lived it down a long time ago.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #572
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Several countries that got militarily defeated by a tea company lived it down a long time ago.
You've reminded me of Jardine & Matheson, and their *cough* efforts *cough* to maintain their access to their 'market' in Qing China.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #573
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
You've reminded me of Jardine & Matheson, and their *cough* efforts *cough* to maintain their access to their 'market' in Qing China.
Well I do still like to play with my Taipan App.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #574
jason taylor

This one I got from a Bull rerun last night where the defendant was a forensic technician falsely accused of corruption.

In this one though a forensic technician really does go to the dark side and work for organized crime. No doubt under some euphemism like private investigator to a legitimate local businessman, etc.

The evil forensics main job is in the cleaner crew. For that reason often a high profile murder cannot be solved even when suspected because of course not leaving evidence is not sufficient for a trial.

The PCs job of course is as city or federal cops dealing with the problem.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #575
Anders

A campaign that stretches from TL 0 to TL 12, with one adventure per TL. The characters are reincarnated again and again to face the same foe, some kind of demonic entity, that keeps coming back. Only at the end of time, in the age of iron stars, can they finally stop it for good.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #576
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A campaign that stretches from TL 0 to TL 12, with one adventure per TL. The characters are reincarnated again and again to face the same foe, some kind of demonic entity, that keeps coming back. Only at the end of time, in the age of iron stars, can they finally stop it for good.
Is the character, Johnney Cash?

"I was a highwayman..."

Seriously that's a pretty good one.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #577
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Is the character, Johnney Cash?

"I was a highwayman..."

Seriously that's a pretty good one.
Thank you. The problem would be making the 13 adventures different enough. It's beyond my skill, but I like the idea.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #578
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Timesplitters and possibly Assassin's Creed also have shades of this plot treatment.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #579
Anaraxes

A shadowy man, face obscured by digital processing technology and communicating via text rather than audio to defeat voice recognition, contacts your team over the Internet. The pointedly unmentioned patron or organization which he seems to represent has a job for you. They have a list of people that they need to carry out some specific actions. "We're 85% of the way to our ultimate goal", he types, "with only a few holdouts remaining before we can initiate the next phase." Those people know what they need to do; they just need some encouragement to act. Unfortunately, the only contact information he can provide is a list of email addresses. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to locate those people and encourage them to complete their pre-assigned tasks. The methods of persuasion are up to you, but you will be amply rewarded when the organization's scheme reaches its fulfillment -- whatever that is.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #580
RogerBW

Everybody except the king knows the king's bastard half-brother wants the throne. He's the natural focus for conspiracies. And yet, somehow, those conspiracies always seem to fail. Because the half-brother is in fact entirely loyal to the King…
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote