Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
FuelDrop

Default Create Plant + Blossom = Create food?

Okay, just confirming that this combo works like I think it does:
Create Plant creates a fully grown plant, from grass to trees (Fatigue costs vary).
Blossom makes a plant or group of plants bear fruit or other consumable foodstuffs, provided the plants in question naturally bear edibles.

So, does combining these spells give a source of free food? I'm not seeing any reason why it wouldn't, but I figure I might as well confirm it here.
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Create Plant + Blossom = Create food?

You'd better pack something to refresh the soil repeatedly if you're going to pull that. But yeah, that's basically how the elves roll. Actual agriculture is for non-magical plebeians.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You'd better pack something to refresh the soil repeatedly if you're going to pull that. But yeah, that's basically how the elves roll. Actual agriculture is for non-magical plebeians.
Isn't that using modern ecological science to handicap magic in a way the oft assumed pseudo-medieval setting would never include as a feature of reality?

Making bread from raw wheat takes a butt load of time and effort. So you can grow a ready to harvest apple tree quickly? Few plants come ready to eat out of the ground. You can't live on those alone.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
David Johnston2

People in medieval times invented three field crop rotation for a reason.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
FuelDrop

Obviously we're not talking a game-breaker in the small scale here (after all, we already have the spell 'create food'), but the point is quite valid as far as any form of long-term camping or farming.

Hmmm...
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
People in medieval times invented three field crop rotation for a reason.
Of course they had to use real world methods, since their magical ideas were completely wrong. But if magical spells work though, then it stands to reason that our non-magical ideas are wrong.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelDrop View Post
Obviously we're not talking a game-breaker in the small scale here (after all, we already have the spell 'create food'), but the point is quite valid as far as any form of long-term camping or farming.

Hmmm...
I wonder if create plant could make wonderful but sterile hybrids like the modern Cavendish banana or seedless watermelons.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Angle

It depends on your setting, of course. But having them periodically use Enrich Soil or some other method could be a nice bit of worldbuilding.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
It depends on your setting, of course. But having them periodically use Enrich Soil or some other method could be a nice bit of worldbuilding.
A nice nod to eco-friendly elves vs. slash and burn short term thinking human mages.
But with magical worlds, one could just as easily have the classic pagan sex ritual or youths sacrifice to "revitalize" the land.

I always wanted to have summoned/created minor earth elementals deal with "mundane" soil maintenance. If only to have the local naïve but helpful NPC elemental named Clod for background color.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Does that spell actually exist? I can't find it in the Earth College. A modified form of Purify Earth, perhaps?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote