Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #781
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
A few recharge options would really help add flavor and impact combat tactics. For instance a non-rechargeable option with double the PPhrs could be built as a modular component into a ship. They could be 'phaser batteries' or whatever that let a ship bring tremendous energy armament to bear with limited endurance.
Right now I'm debating what some good options on this would be. I'd like to set an upper limit for discharge rate, then allow faster discharging banks ("capacitor" banks) with some downsides (Volatile?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Why two Smaller System Energy Banks? Because the last slot is a Smaller System Solar Panel Array, which generates 0.3 pp and can therefore charge the banks from flat in ten hours.
Or one smaller system Super Fusion Plant, which would provide 1.3PP and allow for continuous operation of one high energy system while still recharging the energy banks, or recharge the Banks faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Have you considered making this into a Pyramid article? I think it deserves greater prominence than a forum post.
I probably should at some point. My Optional Rules has blossomed to 7 or 8 pages, which is a pretty fat article.

Honestly, it's the the point now I should probably work on a proposal for another Spaceships book which features my rules and a bunch of spaceships showcasing them. I haven't done much writing for SJGames in years, though, and don't know their style guidelines. I'm also the type that works better with other people, meaning I'd be more likely to get things done with a collaborator than by myself... sigh...
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #782
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Honestly, it's the the point now I should probably work on a proposal for another Spaceships book which features my rules and a bunch of spaceships showcasing them. I haven't done much writing for SJGames in years, though, and don't know their style guidelines. I'm also the type that works better with other people, meaning I'd be more likely to get things done with a collaborator than by myself... sigh...
The authorial guidelines for all SJGames content are quite comprehensive, up-to-date, and easily readable, including a general style guide, the Pyramid writer's guidelines, and GURPS-specific formatting plus a WYSIWYG template that feeds into their publishing system (both Word documents).

I've been studying them all as I work on my first Pyramid submission, with the only problem being that I have the attention span of a— hm, I wonder what animals really suffer from a short attention span? Off to Wikipedia!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #783
RogerBW

Quote:
Or one smaller system Super Fusion Plant, which would provide 1.3PP and allow for continuous operation of one high energy system while still recharging the energy banks, or recharge the Banks faster.
True, but the Dymka is basically an ambush weapon, not intended for a stand-up fight. A super fusion plant would be much more expensive than a solar array, and not make a huge difference when the ship is being used according to the tactics manual.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #784
davester65

Quote:
That's a great idea. Personally I'm hoping someone comes out with sort of a Spaceships Compendium (they did it with Car Wars many years ago) which has the original rules combined with all of the new rules from Spaceships 2 - 8, the Pyramid articles as well as any rules anyone has thought up as well (especially yours). Dare I even suggest it be published in dead tree form?
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #785
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
That's a great idea. Personally I'm hoping someone comes out with sort of a Spaceships Compendium (they did it with Car Wars many years ago) which has the original rules combined with all of the new rules from Spaceships 2 - 8, the Pyramid articles as well as any rules anyone has thought up as well (especially yours). Dare I even suggest it be published in dead tree form?
Spaceships 1-8 were conceived all at the same time. 2-8 are even mentioned in 1. They were conceived of as a single unit split across 8 items. I doubt they'd put together a Compendium, since they had that option at the beginning and didn't go that route.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #786
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
Spaceships 1-8 were conceived all at the same time. 2-8 are even mentioned in 1. They were conceived of as a single unit split across 8 items. I doubt they'd put together a Compendium, since they had that option at the beginning and didn't go that route.
Well, mostly. A few of the books changed a little between original conception and final production, but yeah they planned on doing the series from the beginning.

SJGames has said time and again that they won't do simple compendiums because they don't meet their publishing standards; so if they were to combine multiple PDFs from a series they would want to rewrite them into a single book, which would require a lot of work and therefore would be very unlikely to be done. Until the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game they hadn't ever attempted anything like that, and I doubt they will with something like Spaceships unless GURPS becomes vastly more popular. So your best bet is to just go to Lulu or some other POD printing service, and really they aren't that expensive - I did the entire Spaceships series in PDF for about $32, plus shipping but minus a good coupon discount.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #787
ericbsmith

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 12
This was an unannounced bug fix release.
-Fixed a couple bugs having to do with automatic checkbox placement.

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 13
This is another Excel only release.

-Added Up/Down Scroll Buttons to most sheets. This was to address scrolling issues I had on my tablet, due to the hidden rows the scrolling was very uneven using the touch screen interface and the buttons provide an alternate method of scrolling.
-Added buttons to 'Add Design Table' and 'Add Save Sheet' in the Design Table and Save Sheets. This will automatically add an extra sheet of the appropriate type.
-Added navigation buttons for added Design Tables and Save Sheets. These buttons will automatically be displayed and display by the names of sheets. You can reorder or rename the Save Sheets and the button text will be updated as well.
-Improved Import Ships and Delete Ship capabilities in the Saved Ships Sheets. You can now use the search criteria of the sheet itself to import or delete ships.
--In Delete Ships you can delete all ships that are currently visible based on your search criteria or you can delete all ships which are currently hidden from your search criteria.
--In Import Ships you can go to the sheet you are importing from and set a search criteria and then import whatever ships are visible to the target sheet.
-Reworked handling of Footnotes. Watch for errors with footnotes.
-Added Energy Banks to the Optional Rules and ship systems.
-Redesigned the Garage Utility vehicles to use Energy Banks and Solar Panels. This changed costs and durations across the board.

Excel 2000 RC13
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (3.7MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (1.8MB)

Excel 2007 RC13
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (4.8MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (4.7MB)

OpenOffice 3.2.0/3.3.0/LiberOffice 4 RC9
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (3.4MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (3.0MB)
Kaboom-baya.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #788
kmunoz

Quote:
So your best bet is to just go to Lulu or some other POD printing service
I tried to use Lulu once but it kept throwing page size errors at me.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #789
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
I tried to use Lulu once but it kept throwing page size errors at me.
I've not used it in a while, but when setting up your project make sure to choose the 8.5x11 option for the book. With that I've never had a problem with SJGames PDFs, and I printed 4 large volumes plus set up a couple others I never got around to printing.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #790
kmunoz

Quote:
I've not used it in a while, but when setting up your project make sure to choose the 8.5x11 option for the book. With that I've never had a problem with SJGames PDFs, and I printed 4 large volumes plus set up a couple others I never got around to printing.
I've tried with their 8.25x10.75 option a few times, but it always throws errors, and they don't have a strict 8.5x11 option. Ah well! Someday I'll figure this out.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet