Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #41
bigmack83

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
Notaries are authorized to swear depositions, create certified copies of official documents, and 'officialize' various types of paperwork. And they can charge fees for doing so. A perk fits very nicely.

I disagree with the above poster. My view is that a professional license that allows you to engage in remunerative activities which would be prohibited otherwise is obviously worth some kind of points.

The way i see it is if you have the Professional Skill of say a doctor, or a Notary then that entitles you to have a license. So if you have a legitimate PS then you have the licenses for that trade. Therefore no perk, you should be necessary unless it goes out of the normal boundaries. IMHO the PS is you License.
bigmack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #42
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
The way i see it is if you have the Professional Skill of say a doctor, or a Notary then that entitles you to have a license. So if you have a legitimate PS then you have the licenses for that trade. Therefore no perk, you should be necessary unless it goes out of the normal boundaries. IMHO the PS is you License.
I'm not sure being a notary involves any skill. And this would make it more expensive than a perk in most cases.

In fact, that may resolve the issue. With a lot of licenses, there is an associated skill. If you have Guns (Pistol), and you live in a society where handguns must be licensed, one assumes you would get the license. If you did not have a license, it would be both odd and inconvenient, which would make it a Quirk. Having a license for a firearm would only be a Perk in a society where, normally, you wouldn't be able to get a license.

Although it doesn't sound like it's very hard to become a notary public, it is something above and beyond what is associated with any skill, and it does provide certain advantages. Thus, it is reasonable to treat it as a Perk.

Perk: Notary public [1] <-- You are authorized to swear depositions, create certified copies of official documents, declare certain documents official and legally binding, etc. And you can charge fees for it.

I stand (well, actually, sit) corrected. :)

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72
Cosmic Reservations

You never wait to be seated at a restaraunt, and can always find a room at any place that normally rents them.
"In Crowley's world, reservations were things that happened to other people."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely
If it is routinely granted based on the skills necessary to perform the task with only a modest payment (or one that is modest given the income expected performing the job licensed, for a professional license), then its probably not worth points.
Well, if you mean like a sport fishing license, anyone can walk in and get one, then I agree. But I mean like a professional license of some kind -- Notary being a fairly minimal example, CPA being a more substantial example.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #45
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce
Ina few areas it might even be worth 5 points IIRC one of the Icelanders here has a gun carry permit in Iceland as a bodyguard/PI -- thats a minor legal enforcement power I'd say
From what I can tell, a PI license is a perk, like being a notary. AFAIK, it usually doesn't come with any power other than a concealed carry permit(usually) and an excuse to be nosy, but it can definitely be useful, in i.e. convincing police that you've got a reason to be lurking around in a suspicious fashion, hanging around crime scenes, and otherwise looking like a troublemaker.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #46
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
The way i see it is if you have the Professional Skill of say a doctor, or a Notary then that entitles you to have a license.
IRL, skill and license are not co-equal. A highly skilled person who practices without a license is committing a serious offense. Even profesionals who have been licenced in a jurisidiction at one time and have let it lapse, face barriers in reestablishing their licenses from time to time. At minimum, several month of administrative to-ing and fro-ing occurs, plus sometimes requalification and testing.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #47
Polydamas

Tough Feet: The soles of your feet are tough and calloused, and you have walked long distances barefoot. Treat walking barefoot as if you were wearing a Good set of shoes (no penalty or bonus to Hiking or overland movement rate). Treat the soles of your feet as having DR 1 (tough skin). Historically, this is normal in many low-tech cultures of herders or hunter-gatherers! Think of it as an Accessory (Good walking shoes).
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #48
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama
From what I can tell, a PI license is a perk, like being a notary. AFAIK, it usually doesn't come with any power other than a concealed carry permit(usually) and an excuse to be nosy, but it can definitely be useful, in i.e. convincing police that you've got a reason to be lurking around in a suspicious fashion, hanging around crime scenes, and otherwise looking like a troublemaker.
An additional note on professional licenses as perks -- not only can you charge money for the services, you can also usually obtain insurance to cover your activities.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #49
Figleaf23
Banned

Forgetting: The character can completely and genuinely forget things, on purpose. Once forgotten, the character will automatically forget that she forgot. The datum is gone, and the character can answer honestly (and pass a lie detector test) that she doesn't know about it.

Fresh breath: The character always has fresh breath, despite any diet choices or time of day.

Dazzling smile: The character gets a one-time only +1 reaction bonus with any NPC the first time he smiles at him or her. This is independent of, and stacks with, any appearance modifiers.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #50
bigmack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
I'm not sure being a notary involves any skill. And this would make it more expensive than a perk in most cases.

In fact, that may resolve the issue. With a lot of licenses, there is an associated skill. If you have Guns (Pistol), and you live in a society where handguns must be licensed, one assumes you would get the license. If you did not have a license, it would be both odd and inconvenient, which would make it a Quirk. Having a license for a firearm would only be a Perk in a society where, normally, you wouldn't be able to get a license.

Although it doesn't sound like it's very hard to become a notary public, it is something above and beyond what is associated with any skill, and it does provide certain advantages. Thus, it is reasonable to treat it as a Perk.

Perk: Notary public [1] <-- You are authorized to swear depositions, create certified copies of official documents, declare certain documents official and legally binding, etc. And you can charge fees for it.

I stand (well, actually, sit) corrected. :)

Mark
Yes, but even though you are a notary of the public, there are chances you can fail and screw up a document, like you can fail a driving roll (though maybe not very likely) but it can happen. I would still see that as an easy skill. Maybe even only have to roll it in certain circumstances (like driving in combat situations). now if there is somethig beyond your skill that your skill doesnt cover i can see that. But since being a notary is something that one can learn to to then it isnt a perk. Nobody can learn to do the Fonze hit to get something to work, or i dont see anyone learning the skill of pulling a clean set of clothes out of thin air so they always have a clean set. I think perks should be set up as more of thinks that aren't skills. all of the perks listed in the core book cant be even closely listed as skills whereas being a notary of the public can. whether it is an actual PS or not, if it can be related to being a skill i believe it should be an easy skill.
bigmack83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks