Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
PTTG

Default The 0-point traitless character.

There's an interesting character in GURPS that I'm trying to fully visualize. The most basic character sheet consists of the four basic stats at 10 (each [0), and the secondary attributes unmodified (also [0]). This character has no advantages, disadvantages, or traits, and no skills.

What real or fictional character could this be? Of course, that answer varies depending on the setting, the campaign switches, and so on. For this experiment, let's assume the fewest special options.

We know the character has one cultural familiarity and one language, as those are mandatory and free at character creation. In many campaigns, they aren't even listed on character sheets, as they cost [0]. We also know that the character has no specific compulsions, but neither do they have any level of pacifism. In personality, they are defined by their moment-to-moment needs, but are not restrained from long-term planning if provided the opportunity.

They don't have any skill points, but they do have all the appropriate defaults provided by the campaign's TL. This suggests to me that they either have had nearly no real experience, or else they are the product of magic or weird science.

Right now, the character I'm thinking of is a kind of homunculous produced either by instantaneous magic or by advanced by coherent science. They are biologically human, but their brain was created abruptly, with only generalized knowledge rather than specific false memories (no Amnesia). Whatever this creation was, it was unknown to the public at large, or at least is unstigmatized (no Social Stigma). At the same time, this character is as unique as a normal human (no Off-The-Shelf Looks), and is a known about in the public record (no Zeroed).

So here's this blank slate's story, best I can tell: A cloning experiment produced a number of clones from donated genetic material. The clones were distinct from one another and neurologically trained. However, the adult clones proved useless, or at least no better at taking training and orders than the average mundane recruit, so the program was canceled. The remaining clones, in a strange show of mercy, were released with fresh-printed government IDs and given busywork jobs to keep them fed and housed (status 0).

The only campaign setting is that it's probably TL9.

Other interpretations, errors in my figuring, or just plain other approaches are welcome.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: The 0-point traitless character.

They are a blank and, by definition, uninteresting because they lack a personality (they lack even quirks).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
There's an interesting character in GURPS that I'm trying to fully visualize. The most basic character sheet consists of the four basic stats at 10 (each [0), and the secondary attributes unmodified (also [0]). This character has no advantages, disadvantages, or traits, and no skills.

What real or fictional character could this be? Of course, that answer varies depending on the setting, the campaign switches, and so on. For this experiment, let's assume the fewest special options.

We know the character has one cultural familiarity and one language, as those are mandatory and free at character creation. In many campaigns, they aren't even listed on character sheets, as they cost [0]. We also know that the character has no specific compulsions, but neither do they have any level of pacifism. In personality, they are defined by their moment-to-moment needs, but are not restrained from long-term planning if provided the opportunity.

They don't have any skill points, but they do have all the appropriate defaults provided by the campaign's TL. This suggests to me that they either have had nearly no real experience, or else they are the product of magic or weird science.

Right now, the character I'm thinking of is a kind of homunculous produced either by instantaneous magic or by advanced by coherent science. They are biologically human, but their brain was created abruptly, with only generalized knowledge rather than specific false memories (no Amnesia). Whatever this creation was, it was unknown to the public at large, or at least is unstigmatized (no Social Stigma). At the same time, this character is as unique as a normal human (no Off-The-Shelf Looks), and is a known about in the public record (no Zeroed).

Just a quick reminder that Zeroed is not just "no public record" but also "subsequent records of the character will be erased from the public record sooner or later". There are of course plenty of characters who have no defined characteristics. They're called extras. But The character you describe falls apart under its internal contradictions. Being totally devoid of skills beyond basic literacy is incompatible with having Average Wealth.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
SilvercatMoonpaw

They are.....the most boring character in all GURPS.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...n_in_the_World if you don't get the reference.)
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
They are.....the most boring character in all GURPS.
Tagline: "I don't always drink beer." ... "Did you want me to say something else?"
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

This character would probably have to be a bioroid-like individual, except created through techniques that don't result in Unusual Biochemistry, in a society where such individuals don't suffer a Social Stigma, with some kind of rapid-learning technology used to install basic language and math skills (and some basic cultural knowledge) but nothing else. The backstory as some sort of lab creation seems necessary to explain the total lack of skills. For what that means, this Kromm post might be useful.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Tagline: "I don't always drink beer." ... "Did you want me to say something else?"

But when I do, I can stop whenever I want, because I don't have Alcoholism or Compulsive Carousing.

Stay boring, my friends.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Note that there's a special default to full IQ for Area Knowledge of your home region. This person's knowledge isn't entirely limited to generalities and universal 'common knowledge'.

EDIT: Side note, this is an error in the linked Kromm-post. You don't need any points in Area Knowledge to have it at default in your home ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Just a quick reminder that Zeroed is not just "no public record" but also "subsequent records of the character will be erased from the public record sooner or later". There are of course plenty of characters who have no defined characteristics. They're called extras. But The character you describe falls apart under its internal contradictions. Being totally devoid of skills beyond basic literacy is incompatible with having Average Wealth.
Well that isn't true, but in most contexts you'd need some sort of social Advantage to justify having that income with so little ability.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 05-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Is it really so hard to believe that a normal person wouldn't have any points in skills? I don't think I've got any beyond hobby skills and a lot of people don't even have hobbies. There seem to be plenty of people whose entire job requirements are 'fully literate, no serious mental problems'. Admittedly, most of them would be 'struggling' wealth, but there must be some who make good money.

How much does a fresh recruit in the military earn? Before they get any training.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

You are probably underestimating your potential. A person with no skills should be Poor and -2 Status, at least in a modern economy, because they do not even have a high school education (for the people who claim that high school is just for developing defaults, the majority of the people in human history would like a word with you). In GURPS, cultural education, which gives defaults, comes outside of formal education. In the USA, $1100 (2018) per month, which is the equivalent of $550 per month (GURPS), and they learn stuff in basic training or they are kicked out.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote