Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
Boge

Default Re: Some questions on Luck with modifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
#3 should definitely be worth than -10%, that's largely why I and my players take luck is sniping crits. At least for the 15pts version, the other two make it safe to use it for other reasons. -30% might be a little high, but that's my gut first thought. A crit working against you sounds like something about hourly, so it's basically 15pts to be immune to crits (I might add that as a variant).
What kind of modifier would you suggest for a Luck that can ONLY be used to reroll criticals?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
While Kromm's group and others may primarily save Luck for crit-negation, I don't think that's universal. The groups I'm in certainly use Luck for re-rolling other stuff in combat.
In investigative games, I've found it very worthwhile for Stealth, and for other skill rolls that seem as if they matter a lot. In the Elizabethan fantasy game, I mostly used it for writing good poetry.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
While Kromm's group and others may primarily save Luck for crit-negation, I don't think that's universal.
I can accept -20%, but critical failures outside of combat are sometimes even worse than those you make in combat. I never want to critically fail a Driving roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
What kind of modifier would you suggest for a Luck that can ONLY be used to reroll criticals?
I honestly don't know. It's the most survival part of Luck, which makes me think it would be small, but then mundane traits that are there just to keep you alive are intentionally costed less than would seem. Somewhere between -20% and -40%, probably
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I can accept -20%, but critical failures outside of combat are sometimes even worse than those you make in combat. I never want to critically fail a Driving roll.
Yeah, I think I was misreading the original proposal - I was reading it as "not to negate enemy critical successes or enemy critical failures". But now I realize, the latter doesn't make sense - why would you want to negate your opponent's crit failure, even if it did count as affecting you? So if the intent was "can't negate enemy critical successes, or your own critical failures", I agree, -10% is definitely too low, and -20%, at least, is more reasonable.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
Boge

Quote:
Yeah, I think I was misreading the original proposal - I was reading it as "not to negate enemy critical successes or enemy critical failures". But now I realize, the latter doesn't make sense - why would you want to negate your opponent's crit failure, even if it did count as affecting you? So if the intent was "can't negate enemy critical successes, or your own critical failures", I agree, -10% is definitely too low, and -20%, at least, is more reasonable.
Yes, that's what I mean. You cannot reroll a critical failure of your own. You cannot reroll a critical success against you.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
Bruno

I tend to use Luck on my characters to fix catastrophic outcomes. This is not the same as critical failures on my part or critical successes on the enemy's part, although those are great ways to have catastrophic outcomes.

Sometimes you are trying a stunt because things are going poorly and your stunt has the potential to radically change the shape of an encounter. Failing (or not succeeding enough) may not impose any particular penalties other than "you wasted your action", but it doesn't let you fix the march towards total failure. You're not always in a position of strength and trying to avoid degenerating - sometimes you're in a position of weakness and desperately trying to escape.

And sometimes I just get a bug in my ear about a specific action that I really want to have go in a specific way. Luck in this circumstance is about narrative control, as much as Serendipity is. I want the narrative of this fight to be "I sneak up behind the Siege Beast and backstab it to death in one blow from my magical war pick! Then I throw drop it, throw down a smoke nagateppo, and vanish into the fog and shadows like a Ninja!", so I use Luck on the Stealth roll to backstab, or the to-hit roll, or the damage roll, or the follow-up Stealth roll. Actions are mostly determined by dice rolls in roleplaying games, whereas in normal narration they're determined by what the author wants; that's three turns of actions where the dice might get in the way of the outcome I want as an "author" of my character's actions. Luck gives me a chance to smooth over those annoying moments.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
And sometimes I just get a bug in my ear about a specific action that I really want to have go in a specific way. Luck in this circumstance is about narrative control, as much as Serendipity is. I want the narrative of this fight to be "I sneak up behind the Siege Beast and backstab it to death in one blow from my magical war pick! Then I throw drop it, throw down a smoke nagateppo, and vanish into the fog and shadows like a Ninja!", so I use Luck on the Stealth roll to backstab, or the to-hit roll, or the damage roll, or the follow-up Stealth roll. Actions are mostly determined by dice rolls in roleplaying games, whereas in normal narration they're determined by what the author wants; that's three turns of actions where the dice might get in the way of the outcome I want as an "author" of my character's actions. Luck gives me a chance to smooth over those annoying moments.
I like the idea of the limitation being based around it being "narrative control only". You can't avoid huge effects (crits in either direction) but you can avoid failure that makes the story less awesome.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #18
Boge

Some more suggestions on cost would be excellent if some of you could just give me your opinions.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #19
kirbwarrior

I personally would make #3 and it's opposite -30% until I tested it out to get a better idea.

#1 I'm not certain and other's have made good points. I could see it being -50% (literally half the trait). I'd personally go with -30%.

#2 doesn't sound worth getting, honestly. I don't think I could get my players to buy it at -80%.

I also usually shoot for "Make it more appealing and get proven it's broken" so I can find out I made it too good.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #20
Boge

Break them down this way, each being a separate modification you could apply to Luck, or combined together.

1. One reroll rather than two.
2. Cannot accept original roll.
3. Not valid on criticals.
4. Only valid on criticals.