Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
tcabril

Default GURPS In Nomine

I absolutely love In Nomine the RPG.

I was thinking about trying the GURPS version - just was curious how it compares....

Thanks!
tcabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: GURPS In Nomine

Just to be sure, you noticed the In Nomine forum, yes? Asking about the GURPS version isn't out of place here, but you might also get some good responses there.

I have the GURPS version (or at least the first book), but I haven't actually played in a game. (Not the sort of thing my group usually wants to do.) So it's hard to compare to the original (which I don't have). Got to love the d666 roll for color, though.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Refplace

I'm the same I have both but never played either so dont feel qualified to compare or answer your question.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
Phantasm

The key point as far as GURPS is concerned is that GURPS In Nomine is for GURPS 3e, meaning some translations in templates and power-ups are needed for 4e play.

I have it buried in storage, so I can't be of more help, sorry.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Refplace

If I were to do a Fourth Edition conversion (and its on my list) I would ho with a full powers based version where Third Edition went with a mix.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
William

I GM'ed two extensive campaigns of GURPS In Nomine. Both were a little odd -- one was human-centric, and one was Marches-centric. However, both campaigns lasted several years, which is a pretty good run I think.

Overall the system worked pretty well in my opinion. I should have let the humans power up to Soldiers faster; the 45-point package is a big hurdle to overcome if they're slogging their way through regular adventuring point gain from mundanes. Starting Soldiers should be fine -- and they're considerably more survivable in GURPS In Nomine than in regular IN. Marches combat ended up needing to be tweaked a bit; considering that Ethereal Charm is irresistible, the first opponent to land one is basically done (don't travel alone if you expect Marches combat), and the unconsciousness mechanic was downshifted so that it was immediate rather than hanging around repeatedly passing rolls while at 0 Mind Hits. However, Marches combat is a pretty corner case in most campaigns.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I wouldn't even sweat the conversion to 4e too much; the points are probably still pretty reasonable for most stuff, and the template costs of the stats for celestials can just get buried in the racial templates.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #7
dataweaver

GIN was one of the games that lead me to formulate my signature: two characters who were considered roughly comparable to each other in IN ended up with wildly different point totals in GIN — so much so that GIN basically waived the cost of Choir/Band, the two biggest offenders against point balance. But it didn't stop there: Songs, Attunements, Superiors, the Ethereal and Celestial templates… everything had point costs all over the place.

What I'd probably do today would be to waive the point costs for all supernatural traits and just use the In Nomine system to determine their initial allotment and later advancement, but translate them into GURPS terms for use in the game. I'd then supplement that with 100 character points to spend on “mundane” character traits (mostly Attributes and Skills, but also a few Advantages) per the usual rules for GURPS, adjusted up or down based on how experienced the character is supposed to be. There would be a few caveats, like making sure that Attribute and Advantage expenditures remain roughly in line with one's Forces configuration (say, by establishing mandatory spending based on what your Forces are); but for the most part, I'd go with a strict divide in that mundane traits would be bought and earned via character points while supernatural traits would be determined and advanced per In Nomine's system.

Anyway, one thing that GIN introduced to GURPS is what became the Possession advantage.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
Moe Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
If I were to do a Fourth Edition conversion (and its on my list) I would ho with a full powers based version where Third Edition went with a mix.
I did a working conversion of the basic Celestial package into GURPS 4E

http://moelane.com/wp-content/upload...oogle-Docs.pdf

http://moelane.com/2017/10/04/in-nom...-in-nomine-4e/

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
William

Moe! Holy crap man, it's been four years since you last posted. Good to see you're still kicking. How are things?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Lane View Post
I did a working conversion of the basic Celestial package into GURPS 4E

http://moelane.com/wp-content/upload...oogle-Docs.pdf

http://moelane.com/2017/10/04/in-nom...-in-nomine-4e/
Looks pretty good. I went a slightly different way but a lot of mine is similar.
I also went with +4 to Basic Attributes, my current form advantages are...
Advantages: Spirit [276]; Detect Spirits [10]; Hard to Subdue 5 [10]; Healing (Faith Healing, +20%) [36]; Immunity to Mind Control [30]; Injury Tolerance (No Blood, No Vitals) [10]; Magic Resistance 4 (Improved, +150%) [20]; Name Hearing [1]; Protected Hearing [5]; Protected Power [5]; Protected Vision [5]; Regeneration (Regular) [25]; Social Regard 4 (Feared) [20]; Summon Servants (Ally Group, Built on 50%; 12 or less; Summonable, +100%) [8]; Temperature Tolerance 10 (5/5) [10]; Unfazeable [15]; Unkillable 3 [150].

I went with a powers based rather than your Power Investiture based method for their abilities and my version is more expensive.
My GURPS Wiki entries