Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Blood Legend

Default Titan as an Upscaled Human

If a human was literally the size of a fruit fly to a titan, and this titan was made out of relatively the same flesh and bone as a human, held up by impossible titan magics and biology, how tall, wide and heavy would he be? How big of a foot print would he leave? If he inhaled or exhaled what would happen? What's his ST? How big is his eye? His hand? How thick is his skin or hair?

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-25-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Titan as an Upscaled Human

The "impossible titan magics and biology" rather scupper any attempt at calculating most aspects of this, but a bit of Googling gives the following stating point:

Average fruit fly: 3-4mm long
Average human male: 5'11" (about 1803mm)
Length multiplier therefore 601 (assume 600).
This would make a titan on the equivalent scale 1080m tall (unless I've miscalculated somewhere). Presumably you can use the same x600 factor to calculate foot length etc.

For reference I can only find dry mass for a Fruit fly (0.22-0.3mg) which, if you assume 70% w/w water (roughly as a human) would give you an average live mass of a little under 1mg. Average human mass is massively variable but I found a non-gender mean for the US of 82kg. Given the completely different design philosophies between the two organisms I would be hesitant about calculating anything from that.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If we pick the round numbers of a tenth of an inch and six feet for our samples, we get the nice round number of 720 times the length. When you cube that, you get 373,248,000 times the weight.

So, running the numbers on an average human:

69.7 inches * 720 = 4182 feet tall, or just about 80% of a mile
18.25 inches * 720 = 1104 feet wide at the shoulder, or 20% of a mile
26.3 cm * 720 = 621 feet long foot print, or two football fields long.

Weight is trickier, because averages depend on who you're averaging up 150 lbs turns into 28 million tons. 28 million tons is hard to wrap your mind around, because humans really don't work with those sorts of weights. The Burj Khalifa is only 1/60th of that by weight (its 65% of his height), and even the great pyramid only weighs 2.3 million tons. But he doesn't compare to the weights of mountains. Its an odd size.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

24 mm * 720 = 56 feet in diameter for the eyeball. That's the entire eyeball, not the parts you can see. Based on diagrams I've seen, that means the iris is around 20 feet across.

189 mm * 720 = 446 feet long for the hand. a football field is slightly longer than the palm.

Hair widths differ by an order of magnitude, but even at its thickest, 181 micrometers, its only 5 inches across, and at its thinnest, its half an inch. If you take "average" to be 60 micrometers, that gives you a width of about two inches.

and for teeth, the 6mm of incisor that shows above the gums becomes 14 feet.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Blood Legend

I love this forum. Do his massive lungs do anything fantastic when he breathes? Im trying to tick all the basic descriptors to define his presence before the players wake him up.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-25-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

The sweat pores would be 30 millimeters across (over an inch), so you could literally use them as finger and toe holds to climb up the side of the titan. The titan would release around 200,000 metric tons of sweat a day (around 80 Olympic pools worth).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
If a human was literally the size of a fruit fly to a titan, and this titan was made out of relatively the same flesh and bone as a human, held up by impossible titan magics and biology, how tall, wide and heavy would he be? How big of a foot print would he leave? If he inhaled or exhaled what would happen? What's his ST? How big is his eye? His hand? How thick is his skin or hair?
All the specific answers given here depend on the assumption that the two are proportioned to scale, and the principle to follow in that case is simple: length and/or thickness as linear dimensions are whatever factor you derive comparing length of the fruit fly to height/length of the person; surface area is the square of the linear factor; volume is the cube of the linear factor. It's really just that simple if you keep the proportions the same, notwithstanding the fact that living things in the real world *don't* keep the same proportions as they scale up.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
I love this forum. Do his massive lungs do anything fantastic when he breathes? Im trying to tick all the basic descriptors to define his presence before the players wake him up.
Numbers I found for human respiration suggest we move anywhere from 0.5 m^3 to 3.0 m^3 of air per hour depending on activity level. Lets go a little up from the minimum to 1.0 m^3/hr as an easy number.

I'm using the two scaling factors 600 and 720 for the bounds I calculate:

If you scale it linearly (almost certainly wrong), you get somewhere from 600 m^3/hr to 720 m^3/hr.
If you scale it as an area (which might be somewhat reasonable since the diaphragm is a major influence and it interacts as a surface against the lungs as far as I don't really know), you get somewhere from 360000 m^3/hr to 518400 m^3/hr.
If you scale it as a volume (we are, after all, talking about a volume of air), then you get 0.216 km^3/hr to 0.373248 km^3/hr.

My guess is that the correct scaling is somewhere between area and volume, maybe exponent 2.5, which gives 8818163 m^3/hr to 13910132 m^3/hr.

A quick search didn't turn up much on typical nostril radius, but I'm going to arbitrarily guess around 0.5 cm radius per nostril, for a total human nostril 'area' of ~1.57 cm^2. Since this is certainly an area, we get a range of 56.6 m^2 to 81.4 m^2 for the combined area of titan's nostril's.

Dividing the volume rate of air by the area it must pass through gives a linear 'wind speed' of:
(8818163 m^3/hr) / (56.6 m^2) ~= 96.8 mph ~= 155.8 km/hr
(13910132 m^3/hr) / (81.4 m^2) ~= 106 mph ~= 171 km/hr

For comparison, the human values I used as a base give:
(1 m^3/hr) / (1.57 cm^2) ~= 3.96 mph ~= 6.37 km/hr

These 'wind speeds' are average - in reality, breathing doesn't move air at a steady rate since only part of the time is spent inhaling or exhaling and the rest is spent resting. I'd arbitrarily guess that the 'wind speed' of normal resting respiration might be as high as double the calculated numbers.

Considering that those numbers are just for breathing, the titan probably needs to buy a very high level no-wounding, double-knockback, cone attack to represent his ability to easily blow huge things away.

Last edited by Extrarius; 05-25-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Ji ji

A single, normal inhalation would take in almost 200,000 cubic meter if air, that is, a cube with 60 meter side.
This is compensated by the change in volume of chest. Still, if breathing rythm is human-like, strange things happen. Close to the face the air perturbation would be damaging. Imagine what happens when you breath close to sand, and then imagine that such sand is actually 5 tons stones.
A sneeze (5 m/s) becomes 3.6 km/s or 13,000 km/h. It’s >10 mach. It doesn’t even make sense. Limiting this sneeze to speed of sound we still have the classic mach 1. Sneeze droplets would vary in size up to at least 1 liter. So our titan sneeze is throwing around 60,000 joules water cannonballs. Well, somehow more sticky than pure water I guess.

The action of standing is going to be an earthquake. Intensity and distance depends on the titan’s movements speed. I don’t have the required knowledge to make a detailed prediction.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Ottriman

This may be of use to you: http://www.giantessworld.net/convertor.html

The giantess converter is a program that calculates the dimensions of supersized women. It was made by members of the macrophiliac communities, it's only major flaws (imo) are a lack of options for putting the base stats into metric and complete lack of handling men, but YMMV.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote