Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Ultraviolet

Default [TG] Change position; by itself or combined with attack?

Greetings

I'm not sure I understand this action correctly.

Change position can be done by itself, counting as an attack. Or it can be combined with any attack allowing a step - which is almost any.
Naturally this assumes a grapple,

So if you've already grappled a foe, can you *both* grapple for more CP *as well* as try a Change Position?

So in the example:
Round 1A) Kung Fu student (KFS) #1 grapples Kodiak the Bartender by the torso for 6 cp.
Round 1B) Kodiak fails to Break Free.
Round 2A)KFS#1 grapples for more CP, while also moving to Kodiak's side hex
Round 2B)Kodiak is even more screwed!

I know grapples are mutual, but could Kodiak in Round 1B try to Change Position, instead of Breaking Free, to try to get KFS#1 in *his* side hex? Naturally at some penalty for CP, but still.

Actually, he could even try this *combined* with Break Free - isn't Break Free just like other attacks, allowing a step?
Or he could even do a grapple of his own, plus Ch
ange Position.
What does he stand to lose from trying? (apart from another risk of rolling a Crit Fail!)
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [TG] Change position; by itself or combined with attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Greetings

I'm not sure I understand this action correctly.

Change position can be done by itself, counting as an attack. Or it can be combined with any attack allowing a step - which is almost any.
Naturally this assumes a grapple,

So if you've already grappled a foe, can you *both* grapple for more CP *as well* as try a Change Position?

So in the example:
Round 1A) Kung Fu student (KFS) #1 grapples Kodiak the Bartender by the torso for 6 cp.
Round 1B) Kodiak fails to Break Free.
Round 2A)KFS#1 grapples for more CP, while also moving to Kodiak's side hex
Round 2B)Kodiak is even more screwed!

I know grapples are mutual, but could Kodiak in Round 1B try to Change Position, instead of Breaking Free, to try to get KFS#1 in *his* side hex? Naturally at some penalty for CP, but still.

Actually, he could even try this *combined* with Break Free - isn't Break Free just like other attacks, allowing a step?
Or he could even do a grapple of his own, plus Ch
ange Position.
What does he stand to lose from trying? (apart from another risk of rolling a Crit Fail!)
Yes, the Change Position is designed to be very flexible, because a crap-ton of the moves I was taught are exactly that: slide around him while doing X. Drop to your knees while grabbing his leg. Swing under the arm, and use the momentum to apply a joint lock. And over and over.

Perhaps the better way of thinking of it is that "it's an Attack Option, but oh by the way you can do it by itself if you feel like it."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote