Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
DoomDoomDoom

Default Concealed Munchkinomicon

Hello forums, it's been awhile. You're looking swell - did you lose weight?

Anyway, during a 3 person game of Munchkin Cthulhu with the Munchkinomicon booster, we came across an interesting situation. Like any good little Munchkin, I own the Crypt of Concealment boxes, which includes a treasure card of the same name.

One player came upon both the Crypt and Munchkinomicon, and decided to hold the Munchkinomicon in the Crypt. Since the Crypt and whatever it holds are immune to Curses, I began to question the ability to retrieve the Munchkinomicon through Cursing another player. The only ruling I am fairly certain about is:

- A Curse to directly affect the Crypt or Munchkinomicon while concealed would not draw the Munchkinomicon to the player delivering the Curse.

What I do question is if the Munchkinomicon, while concealed, can be acquired through cursing a player who does not hold the Munchkinomicon/Crypt. Basically, does the Crypt's ability to protect from Curses/Bad Stuff affect everyone attempting to take the Munchkinomicon through these means?

Thank you for any clarity you can give!

And just in case you were wondering, I ended up acquiring the Munchkinomicon from the player by sacrificing 3 cards. :)
DoomDoomDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
wanderingmosaic

Default Re: Concealed Munchkinomicon

I wouldn't think so since the methods of getting the Munchkinomicon away from the person that holds it aren't bad stuff - they're simply effects.
wanderingmosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Metarule: Any game effect that protects a card from being stolen/Cursed away/etc. fails utterly when applied to the Munchkinomicon. (That is not to say that Curses cannot be canceled, for instance, just that you can't prevent them from affecting the M'icon.)

That card is MEANT to bounce around the table. It defeats the point to prevent that from happening.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
DoomDoomDoom

So the Munchkinomicon traveling rules basically supercede cards which say the card would be protected otherwise? Interesting.
DoomDoomDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Time Munchkin

one could do the same thing with The Marvelous Magenta Moat! so just think what could be done with Munchkinomicon+Crypt of Concealment+The Marvelous Magenta Moat!

Myth Adventures
5208 N 10th St. McAllen, TX
78504-2911
(956) 687-3104
Myth Adventures on Facebook
Praise be to "BOB" may your day be full of slack
Time Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Pleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDoomDoom View Post
Hello forums, it's been awhile. You're looking swell - did you lose weight?
Oh, stop. You're incorrigible.

Quote:
So the Munchkinomicon traveling rules basically supercede cards which say the card would be protected otherwise? Interesting.
The 'Nomicon is simply not your average card and can't be treated as if it were. It plays by its own rules.

In fact, if I had been part of making the game I might have recommended that the 'Nomicon be represented by a token instead of a card just so that people wouldn't get confused by rules that target and affect cards.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
In fact, if I had been part of making the game I might have recommended that the 'Nomicon be represented by a token instead of a card just so that people wouldn't get confused by rules that target and affect cards.
But then we wouldn't have the fun of using Annihilation on the Munchkinomicon. That is probably the only card that has any real power over the Book, as it does remove it from the game, unless someone is able to play Summon the Book to bring it back from the box.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Cpt. Sqweky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
But then we wouldn't have the fun of using Annihilation on the Munchkinomicon. That is probably the only card that has any real power over the Book, as it does remove it from the game, unless someone is able to play Summon the Book to bring it back from the box.
I'll wait for Andrew to clarify, but from what he just said, i would think that not even Annihilation would remove it from the game. It's just that munchkiney. I can just see it... you're trying to annihilate it... Klaatu... Barada... N*COUGH*COUGH*o C'mon. What do you mean that wasn't good enough? Why does it always happen like this?
Cpt. Sqweky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Sqweky View Post
I'll wait for Andrew to clarify, but from what he just said, i would think that not even Annihilation would remove it from the game. It's just that munchkiney. I can just see it... you're trying to annihilate it... Klaatu... Barada... N*COUGH*COUGH*o C'mon. What do you mean that wasn't good enough? Why does it always happen like this?
Wait no longer, because he's already ruled on it. :)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...03&postcount=3
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Cpt. Sqweky

Thanks for pointing that out. I was (obviously) not aware.
Cpt. Sqweky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crypt of concealment, cthulhu, munchkinomicon