Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Mirdur

Default Re: New Talents?

I have some problems with making new talents because them players are coming with suggetions of new talents and the skills they put in the new talents are the ones they have. The fact that guns is only one skill englobing all the guns make this the favored skill to add to a new talents. Also the bonus of +4 seems to me a bit too much, i think it should be +2. Also limit the number of subskills you get the talent bonus.

Maybe I think this only because the game hasn't yet started.
Mirdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #12
CharlesGriswold

Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdur
I have some problems with making new talents because them players are coming with suggetions of new talents and the skills they put in the new talents are the ones they have. The fact that guns is only one skill englobing all the guns make this the favored skill to add to a new talents. Also the bonus of +4 seems to me a bit too much, i think it should be +2. Also limit the number of subskills you get the talent bonus.

Maybe I think this only because the game hasn't yet started.
As it says in page B91, under the Custom Talents heading, "the GM's word is law". If you, as a GM, don't like a player-created talent, don't allow it. Also, the bonus given by the Talent depends on the level at which it's taken.

On the other hand, this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of the Talent advantage. Other "new talent" threads have already been derailed by this very issue, and we don't need that happening here.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #13
arcady

No existing Talent has a combat skill - so I would stick to that and not allow any directly combat focused skill to be in a Talent.

I've considered a Talent that is a subset of Smooth Operator. At present only "Allure" seems to fit the bill.

Here's one for the list:

Geek:
Literature, Games, Mathematics, Speed-Reading, Computer-Operation and reaction bonus with other 'Geeks'. 5pts/level

Last edited by arcady; 01-11-2005 at 03:30 AM.
arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #14
vesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcady
No existing Talent has a combat skill - so I would stick to that and not allow any directly combat focused skill to be in a Talent.

I've considered a Talent that is a subset of Smooth Operator. At present only "Allure" seems to fit the bill.

Here's one for the list:

Geek:
Literature, Games, Mathematics, Speed-Reading, Computer-Operation and reaction bonus with other 'Geeks'. 5pts/level
I like it though I fear I may have a couple of levels in this one myself, you might want to add trivia, since geeks always have some sort of ,what others consider, usless knowledge. Maybe as a trade out for another skill, I know a few geeks week in the Literature or the Mathematics department.
Vsper
vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #15
warmachine

Default Re: Perverted Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Back on topic, why would this Talent [Perverted Mind] include Search?
'Cos someone who can think like a criminal can second guess where they hide stuff. One has to wonder if such a person hasn't already crossed the line.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Blagger: Acting, Fast Talk, Gambling, Intimidation, Panhandling, Merchant. Reaction Bonus: anyone who doesn't know you. 5 Points / Level.

EDIT: Forgot Panhandling.

Last edited by Sam Baughn; 01-11-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #17
GoatRider

To describe me, I'd need:

Hobbyist: Artist, Boating (RC), Driving (RC), Engineer, Hobby Skills, Knot Tying, Machinist, Photography, Piloting (RC), Sewing

and a negative on "Housekeeping".
Old 01-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Natural Leader: Administration, Leadership, Politics, Public Speaking, Teaching. Reaction Bonus: anyone below you in a hierarchical social structure (members of your squad, your secretary, apprentices, etc). 5 points / level.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
warmachine

Default Conditional Talents

I think Talents should also affect some of its listed skills under certain conditions. This creates more possibilities for bizarre talents. Under a Talent, if a skill is listed with a condition, it counts half for calculating Talent cost and the learning time reduction does not apply.

For example:-
Devious Wrecker: Your sly and underhanded perspective of machines is too bizarre for other engineers to second-guess; Armoury (sabotague only), Computer Operations (hacking only), Electronics Repair (sabotague only), Electrician (sabotague only), Electronic Operations (Security), Electronic Operations (Electronic Warfare), Explosives (traps and disarming only), Mechanic (sabotague only) and Traps. Reaction bonus:sabouteurs, burglars and Luddites. 5 points/level

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3

Last edited by warmachine; 05-16-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Devious Thinker was too vague
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
Importance

Natural Born Sneak (5pts/level):
Shadowing
Stealth
Observation

Bonus from others who prefer not to be noticed.
Importance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, talents