Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Anders

Default Blinding Attack

How do I build this:

Blinding Attack: Anyone looking directly at a Luminal must make a HT roll or be blinded for one second per point he failed his roll by.

Can it be built for under 80-ish points?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Clockwork_Virus

Default Re: Blinding Attack

Let me try my hand at it:

To create the blinding effect: Affliction 1 (HT; Disadvantage: Blindness, +50%; Always On, -40%; Area Effect, 32 yards, +250%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%; Sense-Based: Vision, +150%) [53]. I use a 32 yd effect here, but that can be increased or decreased as preferred. Likewise, the value of Always On is my own judgment, but reducing it won't change the point cost by much.

Since light intensity is something that drops off with distance squared, having an effect that impedes vision without causing blindness might also be appropriate. Dissipation on the Aura would make it too weak, so I would instead use Obscure (Vision) (Always On, -50%; Defensive, +50%; Extended, Infravision and Ultravision, +40%) [2.8 points/level].
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Anders

Can you put the LOS enhancement on an Aura?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Clockwork_Virus

I don't think it's verboten. Sense-Based only forbids other penetration modifiers, which Aura is not.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Anders

Looked at Aura again. Probably not kosher. I'll go with yon build.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Maybe I'm missing something... but why not just drop the "Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%" part of the Aura build. It's never felt 'integral' (being that's it's a separate limiter).

Or for that matter why not some form of Area Effect + Emanation without the Aura? The light is only blinding out so far.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
Appletoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Let me try my hand at it:

To create the blinding effect: Affliction 1 (HT; Disadvantage: Blindness, +50%; Always On, -40%; Area Effect, 32 yards, +250%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%; Sense-Based: Vision, +150%) [53]. I use a 32 yd effect here, but that can be increased or decreased as preferred. Likewise, the value of Always On is my own judgment, but reducing it won't change the point cost by much.

Since light intensity is something that drops off with distance squared, having an effect that impedes vision without causing blindness might also be appropriate. Dissipation on the Aura would make it too weak, so I would instead use Obscure (Vision) (Always On, -50%; Defensive, +50%; Extended, Infravision and Ultravision, +40%) [2.8 points/level].
What's reduced duration for?

EDIT: Also, here's an alternative build: Use affliction (blinding) with area effect, persistent, emanation, extended duration (permanent) and sense-based (vision).

Last edited by Appletoe; 10-14-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
Anders

Normally it lasts for 1 minute per point you fail the resistance roll by.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Appletoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Normally it lasts for 1 minute per point you fail the resistance roll by.
So what happens if you make the roll exactly? Also, I updated my original post with an alternative build for you.
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Anders

Then you don't fail the resistance roll, so nothing happens.

Tags
affliction, afflictions