Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #51
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice [IC]

So this might not be a case at all... Best to look into it, with a senator involved. How well do you know this witch politician you were visiting? Could she be behind something? If she's a victim, it might come in handy to have a politician owe us a favor if we take care of her little plumbing problem... Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though, 'crazy ears' may just be a non threatening supernatural that happens to be a plumber. You might be surprised how many of those are out there, I sense them all the time.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #52
Talosian

"So this might not be a case at all... Best to look into it, with a senator involved. How well do you know this witch politician you were visiting? Could she be behind something?"

"We were, uh, casual acquaintances." Jack coughs into his hand, and says solemnly, "Can't discount the possibility that she might be involved. Though it'd be weird if her plot involved hiring a super-plumber.

If she's a victim, it might come in handy to have a politician owe us a favor if we take care of her little plumbing problem... Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though, 'crazy ears' may just be a non threatening supernatural that happens to be a plumber. You might be surprised how many of those are out there, I sense them all the time.

"I refuse to believe that a witch politician can have a superhuman plumber without there being something going on."
Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #53
the_matrix_walker

"Stranger things have happened... But something could be going on without her being in on it. I'm sure a senator or whatever would make an attractive target for all kinds of disreputable shenanigans."
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #54
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Marcus Savage:

After about 5 minutes, Marcus gets a text back from his contact:

Code:
Standard* rate for demons. Bonus for figuring out who summoned them. Will get back on near fae.**
*VL has a standing policy of taking out demons in most situations. Demons don't function well enough in society to hide, which means killing them doesn't just leave prey open for others -- they will rampage until killed. They are also fairly rare, and usually have someone summoning them as muscle.

** I'm not sure how to run wealth on this kind of work. Its kind of his job, and its kind of the adventure.

PC's can respond as they see fit -- all of you got the text. This happens after all of your current threads.

Randal Kane:
Randal is inspecting the door when a security guard comes around the corner. The man is fairly chunky and looks good natured, though he's currently doing his best to scowl. He's carrying a flashlight.

"Hey! what are you doing? Get away from that door!"

Rolls:
Forced Entry (IQ)

Brother Man

Shawn: No, I haven't done nothin'. I've been better than normal, if anything. Trying to actually figure out life, ya know?

Brother Man is pretty sure Shawn is telling the truth -- this appears to be unprovoked, as far as the boy is concerned. And yet the behaviour of the shadowers appears very deliberate.

Rolls: Detect Lies

Jack Brown: (you two ready to show up at Ketties house yet? You two are cracking me up with this whole plumber thing...)

Everyone:
You have received two general messages to the monster hunting public. The first is a message about trouble brewing, sent from the hermit. This happened before everything else.

You have also received a plea for help and an offer of free beer from Marcus. This is AFTER all of your current threads.

If you have an active thread I didn't reply to there, let me know.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #55
Refplace

The Hermit heads out to various cities to check for responses and see if anyone wants or needs to contact him.

His standard is to go to a town and then do readings for the area to see if anything meriting his attention is there. He will pick a bar or park and hang out in a corner doing readings for people. Typically tips like a street vender.
He casts a Chance spell to help those who need his help more easily find him.
At the end of the night if nothing is going on he does a reading for the next town to go to.
Sometimes he will stick around the same town for a bit as things play out.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #56
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Laura Night:

Tweaks to spell: she's going to need to add more time to properly sort through people or add another sense to figure out who these people are (either expand it to an hour or add a sense mind effect to pick up hostile intent beyond a certain magnitude. Both ways add 2 base energy and increase the cost to 44. I'm going to proceed, but let me know which route she takes, because it might give more info).

Laura gets 'wind' of the murderers, or at least she thinks she does. They match the physical description of the murders, and are there at the right time. They are identical twins (or at least genetically identical), and they aren't quite human. She's has a suspicion they're been tampered with genetically. The spell is too focused on the ritual connection to know or guess anything else.

Rolls:
final ritual roll
bioengineering roll
After casting the spell on location Lara heads back to the office. Tossing the ow slightly less blank notebook on her desk she reports,
Well, I think I found them. Genetically identical and I think possible gene engineering too. If this was a movie the guy behind it all would be the CEO, but Cherion isn't that poorly run. Well at least the when it comes to the big stuff the CEO would bother with. Anyway, I have enough to drop a tracking spell on them.

Spoiler:  

OOC: Well, I didn't tap the magery reserve so the extra energy for the last spell can come from there.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #57
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Three Fae: Marcus Savage

While he waits, Marcus keeps careful track of where the different fae are. The two demons merely lurk in the basement, occasionally moving around. The shadow is flitting from window to window at the top, seemingly keeping an eye on Marcus. It hasn't gotten too close to the demons yet.

Ketty and Plumber: Jack Brown, Marcus Savage

Marcus's analysis of Jack:
Jack is two beings -- a mortal and a high/near fae. The fae is dependent on the mortal for continued use of powers. The mortal has some access to magic, but its mostly from the fae. The fae is obsessed with tricks and embarrassment, but does not require them for sustenance. The magic used frightens animals and is weakened by iron. The illusion abilities are quite diverse -- invisibility, personal glamour, quite a bit of reactive illusion, and the ability to see in the dark. The fae has a lot more potential, but isn't able to use it to the fullest extent. Something has been done to cripple it -- Marcus isn't sure exactly what.

The two of them arrive at the place shortly after the strippers and the 'zine, but before the police. one security guy is trying to keep the press out, while the other is kicking out the strippers -- probably less vigorously than he would if he wasn't on camera. The plumber's vehicle is still present -- or at least a large van that seems to fit the description.

The Warehouse: Randal Kane

Randal could of sworn he looked over the patrols, and none of them ever came near this place. To get caught here is the worst of luck -- or it means the officer was informed by someone else. He thinks over places he could have missed a camera. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. He doesn't think he missed one though. Maybe it is just bad luck.

GM Rolls:
IQ check (what mistakes could I have made?)
IQ check (Analysis of should this officer be here)

OCC: If I need you to roll, I will ask you to 'please roll' or 'Rolls to make:'. If it helps I can start labelling the roll lists.

Cherion Murder Investigation: Laura Night

Laura puts out her spell to keep tabs on their where abouts -- only to have it putter out and fail. She's not sure why. She casts the spell again, taking her half an hour. This time she figures out what's going on -- someone has warded the two thugs against tracking spells -- now. Not when they were robbing a restaurant and shooting people*, but now.

GM Rolls:
Casting roll
Analysis Roll -failed
Gathering and Casting 2
Analysis Roll

*yes, looking back in time can get around wards if you do things right. Its possible to ward against that, but its harder (more expensive).

Impending Conflict: Hermit

Hermit goes out into the world looking for those who may respond to his message, and those who need his help. The first few nights are clean and those who need him have easy to solve problems: whether to take out a loan or not, is my husband cheating on me, should I swap jobs, and so forth.

OCC: The spell as described is simple, but will attract people in general need. If he wants to attract people threatened by the impending conflict, he'll need to cast something more specific. Examples are in OCC.

Also any Player (not character) who wants to get involved on this strand should make that desire known. It happens Before Three Fae (Marcus's strand), and can be merged with your strand.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #58
the_matrix_walker

Past (with Jack)
Spoiler:  

Present (the Hermit)
Spoiler:  

Future (Still solo so far)
Spoiler:  
Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #59
Talosian

This is better than I could ever have expected, Jack thinks with a swell of pride, and Brown cackles manically in response. Jack takes a moment to swallow the rush of boundless glee shared by him and Brown, and then says, with a straight face, "Congress-witches with super-plumbers and kinky strippers. How are those 'stranger things' measuring up now?"

Spoiler:  
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #60
Skullcrusher

Randal charges the security officer (Heroic Charge 1fp) and tries to punch him in the face...

Punch to the face 10 or less (3d6=10) just hit.

Damage if hits (1d6+1=4)

hp: 18/18
fp: 13/14

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote