Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
korbeau

Default Realistic Invention Rule

Just to be sure I understand the Invention rules because It's look nearly impossible to use it in realistic campaign.

Being a above-average engineering building a motor with Mechanics/14
Not being in an "adventure context" (no zombies run after him) he can have a +4 for his skill. He can build Complexe device with the effective skill skill at 18.

The Complexe device have a modifier of -14 (!!)
The device already exist but he didn't have a model with him, +2
The Engineerign give a good description, GM giving him +2
The engineering must make a roll under 8 (mechanics 14 +4 -14 +2 +2) for the concept roll.

He have two assistants (Mechanics/12) for a effective Skill level of Mechanics 16
It's a complexe device, -14
The device already exist, +2
They have good equipments (a shop or a BIG laboratory) for building the device, giving +2)
Good description +2
The Assistants possess Skill level at 8 (12 +4 -14 +2 +2 +2). No help here, they don't have 20+ (how could it be possible????)
The Engineering must make a roll under 11 again for the prototype.

Am I right?
I use only the Basic here with Skill definition in Basic p. 112 "Expert at 14, Ordinary Folk at 9-11", having good assistants at level 12. It's look hard, nearly impossible, in a realistic game where Basic skill at 17 is REALLY uncommon.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Realistic Invention Rule

Sounds good to me, new inventions are not made very often after all.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Anders

Yeah, if you want to make something as complex as a modern motor - probably. A modern motor is a very intricate piece of machinery made up of many separate parts. Figuring out how to build one from scratch isn't easy.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
I use only the Basic here with Skill definition in Basic p. 112 "Expert at 14, Ordinary Folk at 9-11", having good assistants at level 12. It's look hard, nearly impossible, in a realistic game where Basic skill at 17 is REALLY uncommon.
A merely expert mechanic with two of her merely professional friends attempting to reverse engineer (concept check) and then build a modern internal-combustion engine (prototype check) isn't going to be something they should reasonably expect to do without quite a few failed attempts along the way.

If anything, I'd say the invention rules are unrealistic in that they make it too easy.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Kraydak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
A merely expert mechanic with two of her merely professional friends attempting to reverse engineer (concept check) and then build a modern internal-combustion engine (prototype check) isn't going to be something they should reasonably expect to do without quite a few failed attempts along the way.

If anything, I'd say the invention rules are unrealistic in that they make it too easy.
On the other hand, the late 19th/early 20th century development of internal-combustion engines was not the result of massive research efforts by huge corporations.
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraydak View Post
On the other hand, the late 19th/early 20th century development of internal-combustion engines was not the result of massive research efforts by huge corporations.
Their engines weren't Complex either. Still probably involved skills higher than 14 and a good bit of Luck too.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
McAllister

Yeah, the difficulty of realistic invention is probably in a good place. I have questions about the expense, but the difficulty seems right.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
Just to be sure I understand the Invention rules because It's look nearly impossible to use it in realistic campaign.

Being a above-average engineering building a motor with Mechanics/14
Not being in an "adventure context" (no zombies run after him) he can have a +4 for his skill. He can build Complexe device with the effective skill skill at 18.

The Complexe device have a modifier of -14 (!!)
The device already exist but he didn't have a model with him, +2
The Engineerign give a good description, GM giving him +2
The engineering must make a roll under 8 (mechanics 14 +4 -14 +2 +2) for the concept roll.

He have two assistants (Mechanics/12) for a effective Skill level of Mechanics 16
It's a complexe device, -14
The device already exist, +2
They have good equipments (a shop or a BIG laboratory) for building the device, giving +2)
Good description +2
The Assistants possess Skill level at 8 (12 +4 -14 +2 +2 +2). No help here, they don't have 20+ (how could it be possible????)
The Engineering must make a roll under 11 again for the prototype.

Am I right?
He can get up to +5 for taking extra time.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
He can get up to +5 for taking extra time.
Knowing it take 1d month... having a +5 bonus need x30 times spends. Near 3 years minimum, 15 years maximum.

Ouch
Old 09-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Yeah, the difficulty of realistic invention is probably in a good place. I have questions about the expense, but the difficulty seems right.
For the expense, I understand you need a lab of at least 250 000$ for building a Complexe device + the retail price of it, where it should be less than 1 million.

If the motor cost 100 000$ (yea, it's a complexe motor), the initial cost should be 350 000$ and if you fail, it cost you 100 000$ each time for making the prototype.

Did I understand right?

Tags
invention, inventions