Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Servant Level WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
"It is a real Symphonic connection, however; more than friendship, loyalty, domination, admiration, fear, or compulsion (any of which may also be present in the relationship). ... Voluntarily or not, a servant's will is suborned. His master can make him do things, and he knows it."
There are folks who interpret that as meaning the master doesn't have to ask or threaten or cajole or trick the servant to do something if the master wins the "will war" - the master just tells the servant, and the servant has no choice but to carry out the order.

I believe I've posted a fanfic snippet addressing this ... (goes and looks) ... yes, here it is.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
PenitentDemon

All Im saying is a strong Symphonic Connection, will be a LOT more useful with some servants then others.

Like I DOUBT theirs many orders (That a servitor of Dominic, or Laurence would ever be likely to give) That someone who'd accepted a place in their service would ever be likely to disobey.

And, I admit, Im pretty sure, even Baal, if you killed a soldier for something short of blatantly selling out, would probaly respond with something like

"Hmmmmn, am I to understand you believe that 6 force Mortals grow on TREES? Im afraid that they dont it may take a while, try to be patient.."

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 12-11-2010 at 04:53 PM.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Azel

Ah, now that's a role playing aesthetics question. Those are totally dependent not upon canon, but upon the relative mood, contrast, and levity of your game world. If you do play such austere interpretations of each of those Superiors, then yes, you can probably get away with a lot more role playing action that does not depend on Servant Level.

However, it's always a good idea to know canonical mechanics in case the GM ever needs to pull a string. PCs can get quite lazy if they think their threats will always work on their minions/Servants. Reminding them that there is a value to purchased servitude, just like purchased roles, is a healthy way to control power creep in your game. (***plug for Liber Servitorum***)
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
JCD

Depending on the Servant, they can do RIGHTEOUS damage to a Celestial.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Depending on the Servant, they can do RIGHTEOUS damage to a Celestial.
I'm missing a trick here. Do you mean physical--which doesn't last, especially against a Malakite. Trauma is serious, true. Or do you mean something more subtle, like exploiting resonances? Say, kicking some poor cherub's attuned to get the cherub's attention?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I'm missing a trick here. Do you mean physical--which doesn't last, especially against a Malakite. Trauma is serious, true. Or do you mean something more subtle, like exploiting resonances? Say, kicking some poor cherub's attuned to get the cherub's attention?
Doesn't have to just be physical damage. Servants can learn Celestial Light as well as anybody else. The key is that the GM has to be wary about what it's likely for a demonling or a soldier to have learned. If the GM doesn't specifically say "no" (I learned the hard way), it's pretty easy to craft a Servant that acts as an extension of the PC's Song and Skill set. On the surface, it ends up looking much more points-effective to give your PC all the roleplaying-oriented Songs, Skills, and Attunements she needs, and then just buy a bodyguard with Corporeal Shields 6, Dodge 6 (to dodge INTO blows targeting the PC), and Numinous Corpus Tail 6, which my player calculated is the NC song with the greatest damage per turn potential...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Doesn't have to just be physical damage. Servants can learn Celestial Light as well as anybody else.
Actually, no they can't, at least not most Servants. Human servants can usually only learn Corporeal Songs, with a few exceptions like Saints. Now demonlings, relievers and other supernatural beings, yes ...

Quote:
The key is that the GM has to be wary about what it's likely for a demonling or a soldier to have learned. If the GM doesn't specifically say "no" (I learned the hard way), it's pretty easy to craft a Servant that acts as an extension of the PC's Song and Skill set. On the surface, it ends up looking much more points-effective to give your PC all the roleplaying-oriented Songs, Skills, and Attunements she needs, and then just buy a bodyguard with Corporeal Shields 6, Dodge 6 (to dodge INTO blows targeting the PC), and Numinous Corpus Tail 6, which my player calculated is the NC song with the greatest damage per turn potential...
Quoted for truth. My view is that a Servant should be created by the GM, not the player -- the player can give broad strokes, but the GM determines the details, including the specific character sheet.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
... a Servant should be created by the GM, not the player; the player can give broad strokes, but the GM determines the details, including the specific character sheet.
True, for *any* of my campaigns, regardless of specific game system used. ;-)
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Actually, no they can't, at least not most Servants. Human servants can usually only learn Corporeal Songs, with a few exceptions like Saints. Now demonlings, relievers and other supernatural beings, yes ...
I did mean demonlings, and they are even cheaper to create than soldiers as servants. As I said, though, I learned the hard way not to let my players pull this kind of thing...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
Azel

The likely reason why servants can cause a lot of problems to their masters is very simple -- most masters usually have servants that complement their resource set. Essentially more valuable servants bring something new to the table. If not so, the servant would still be useful (everyone can use a gofer), but mostly redundant in more important situations.

So it would likely be a corporeal bodyguard to help a corp-lite celestial, and vice versa. And naturally all PC characters get a look over by the GM before play (including servants, who serve a mixed NPC-PC relationship) . In fact, I do find the optional guideline to restrict any resource to a max 3-4 levels on character creation a good rule of thumb. Anything hitting around 5-6, though not strictly forbidden, should receive considerable more scrutiny. Them human players are crafty! ;)

But human servants and the like are no slouches, if GM'ed creatively. It doesn't even have to be a successful confrontation, either. For the Malakim example, a servant would usually only balk if a) the relationship is so sour the servant hates the Malakim OR b) the request goes too far against their moral code. (Damned servants, or in the process of becoming so, would most likely be already dead long before it could rebel against a Malakim master.)

In situation B a Malakim has little recourse to "enact Heaven's vengeance" upon someone who is being true to their code of honor (especially in the face of death). Oh, they could still kill them, yes. However, you'll have a lot of explaining to do to your Superior if word gets out... and blessed souls are about impossible to silence in Heaven (Pax Dei, baby). They will likely get audience w/ your Superior quite quickly. Malakim going rabid is a concern for Heaven, that's why they are policed/police themselves so strictly...
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resources, servants