Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #171
rknop

Default Re: [IC] In Nomine -- The Redemption of Eli

Heb Rhoneniel, Baz, and Naomi

"Heb-Rhoneniel, it is pleasant to hear from you," Erian says in a level tone of voice. "I understand your meaning, and I understand your reluctance to visit me down here where I live. I've been meaning to call you. There's something... something odd going on off of the shore of Catalina island, down near the ocean floor. I wanted to ask your opinion of it."

"I don't suppose there is any chance I could talk you into finding your way to Southern California to meet me here, so that we can talk freely, and so that I can ask your opinion about this phenomenon?"
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #172
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
With a serious look on her face, Penny says, "So, what's going on?"
Soma sits back and observes. This is Penny's friend so she is content to allow her to handle this. Should she have any additional questions, she will bring those up at an opportune time.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #173
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:

She leads Soma and Rudy back into a room at the back of the garage. It's sort of an office, but there are stacks of bike parts, a few cans of grease, and scattered parts catalogs scattered all about.

With a serious look on her face, Penny says, "So, what's going on?"
Rudy hoists herself onto the nerest stack of debris that will hold her weight. Once the door is closed and she's sure no one else is listening, she looks at Penny and says "It involves a friend. No, not Soma here, one you haven't met yet."

She removes her bike helmet, runs her fingers along it thoughtfully. "She's hiding out from an old boss ... the Pimp, in fact. She's not quite ready to see the Light, but it could be only a matter of months if things break right. Your own boss would probably be interested in her, and when the time comes, he'd probably be the best placed to bring her aboard."

"The only trouble is, I've been hearing a few things lately. And they've got me worried."

Rudy sets the helmet in her lap, removes her hair tie, shakes her hair out. "I haven't seen the Artist around San Fran in a long time. That's not unusual, I know he gets around. But I met someone recently whom he rescued back East about five years ago. She said that when she mentioned her plight to him, he told her 'I could redeem you. I think I still remember how to do that.'

"He could have been joking, I guess. But it's a Hell of a subject to joke about. Especially given what I hoped he might do someday."

She leaves her improvised seat, shuffling her helmet from hand to hand as she talks. "I've also heard that the Judges are starting to poke around a little more than usual. They've always been hard-nosed about the Artist, of course, but they seem to be turning up the pressure, like they think there's more to worry about. Any other time, I'd laugh it off .... but now I'm a little worried, too."

She looks directly at Penny, her own eyes radiating concern. "Level with me, Penny. Is he ... OK? Is he even still answering his mail? If it were just me, I might not be bothering you like this. But I'm worried about another person's soul here, too."

Rudy casts her eyes downward, a little abashed. "I'm sorry. It's inexcusable to throw this much on a friend. But sometimes friends can lighten burdens ... and I really need someone to lighten mine."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #174
ladyarcana55

Soma listens quietly and stays out of the way but while the discussion is taking place, Soma will use her Resonance on Penny just to see what's what.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #175
rknop

A clouded, troubled look comes across Penny's eyes once it becomes clear to her that Rhoda is talking about Eli.

"Your... friend. I'm afraid you're probably going to need to find to ask somebody else to perform the redemption when you think she's ready. I haven't seen...."

She stops, stands up, goes to the door, looks out briefly, then comes back, closing the door behind her.

"I haven't seen Eli in years, now. He used to drop by every few months, and it used to be I could call him, and there was a halfway decent chance that he'd respond. But I haven't been able to invoke him for... wow, I don't know. I think I stopped trying a couple of years ago."

Penny looks like a completely different woman (well, angel) from what she looked like when the two of you arrived. When you arrived she looked energetic, in control, full of life. Now, the slump of her shoulders, the crease of her brow, speaks of a weight on her shoulders.

"It's been tough for a few decades, you know. The triads coming through and asking very probing questions, implying that everybody doubts me. But, it was all OK, those of us who hadn't been assigned out, because at least Eli himself would come by, and he was always such a presence, such an inspiration, that we could keep the faith despite being cut off. But... well, initially, he almost seemed to be on a walkabout. But as time went by, he became more distant. It would come an go, but it was almost as if he were fading away. I was always too afraid to ask him about it, and tried to convince myself that I wasn't noticing a progression, that it was just sometimes one way, sometimes the other. And, to be sure, some times were more noticeable than others."

Penny shakes her head. "But, now, when he doesn't come by, when he doesn't answer when I call.... Well, I'm trying to keep doing my little bit of good here in my corner of the world, trying to support Creation. That's all we each can do, right? Keep the faith."

She sighs. "I don't know. I guess I should check in with The Committee, since they're the ones trying to hold those of us left together. But doing that, well, that almost seems like admitting that he's really out of it, and I guess I just don't really want to admit that. You know, things are OK for me, so maybe he just has more important things on his mind...."

She closes her eyes and shakes her head. "I'm sorry, Rudy. I shouldn't have dumped all of this on you. It can be lonely for anybody working as an angel on Earth, I know that. I don't mean to burden you with the life of a Creationer; but, I do think you shouldn't count on Eli for redeeming your friend."

(OOGM : You guys may or may not know what "The Committee" is. If you as players know, then you can decide if your characters know. If you as players don't know, then your characters don't know :) .)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #176
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

"Oh, Penny ..." Rudy steps forward and wraps Penny in the biggest, warmest embrace she can find. She holds her for several long moments, even letting her cry if she needs to.

When the moment seems right, Rudy releases the Creation angel and looks her in the eyes, her voice a little hoarse. "Is there anything I can do?" she asks gently. "Is there anyone who might know something, or should know something, any help I can give? He's always been ... one of the best of us and it scares me to think of him maybe ... fading, as you said. And, oh, hon, how it must terrify you ..."

She hugs her fellow Ofanite again. "Do you want me to come with you to the Committee, for support at least?" she asks her when they re-emerge. "I know they're the last thing in the Symphony you want to face right now. But if he's been gone as long as you say, they probably need to know ... and sooner, rather than later."

A smile peeks out of her troubled visage. "Besides," she says, a little lightly, "we're Wheels. Doing things is what we are. Sitting is for Cherubim." Rudy winks, trying to lift Penny's spirits for a moment -- and maybe her own, too.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #177
ladyarcana55

Soma looks on with sympathy and concern in her eyes, but she doesn't feel the time is right to say anything quite yet. Even if it were, there really is nothing Soma can say or think to say.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #178
Acolyte

Default Re: Heb Rhoneniel, Baz, and Naomi

Quote:

"Heb-Rhoneniel, it is pleasant to hear from you," Erian says in a level tone of voice. "I understand your meaning, and I understand your reluctance to visit me down here where I live. I've been meaning to call you. There's something... something odd going on off of the shore of Catalina island, down near the ocean floor. I wanted to ask your opinion of it."

"I don't suppose there is any chance I could talk you into finding your way to Southern California to meet me here, so that we can talk freely, and so that I can ask your opinion about this phenomenon?"
"Well, I'll have to converse with my associates, but as long as the trip doesn't involve actually entering Los Angeles, I'm not inherently opposed. Will you hold for a second, Erian?"

Heb Rhoneniel rather comically holds the cellphone at arms length away from Baz and Naomi and covers the receiver with his hand.

"Erian, my Creationer contact in Los Angeles, is willing to talk to me and probably us, but he'd prefer we travel to Southern California and visit him. Additionally, there is some kind of underwater disturbance he would like examined, and if it is not detrimental to our main mission I feel as though checking it out would be a good idea." He pauses, thinking. "If it turns out to be a serious matter, I can at least scout it out and let my fellow Seraphim know while we pursue our main mission. Do you think we could travel to visit Erian somewhere near Los Angeles?"
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #179
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
"Erian, my Creationer contact in Los Angeles, is willing to talk to me and probably us, but he'd prefer we travel to Southern California and visit him. Additionally, there is some kind of underwater disturbance he would like examined, and if it is not detrimental to our main mission I feel as though checking it out would be a good idea." He pauses, thinking. "If it turns out to be a serious matter, I can at least scout it out and let my fellow Seraphim know while we pursue our main mission. Do you think we could travel to visit Erian somewhere near Los Angeles?"
"I don't see any problem with that. I brought an old beater with me when I came to town, and nothing was catastrophically wrong with it at the time. As long as I can remember where I left the thing, it should take us down there."
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #180
Andygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Naomi shrugs, "I suppose that will work, and you are certainly welcome to take a quick look at whatever it is the trouble is while we're in the area and see if it's something that needs further attention. Just as long as we stay out of Los Angeles proper and don't sit around in the area for too long."

Tags
eli, in nomine, net play, pbp