Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Free Lilim and Vessels?

When Lilith creates a Lilim and they choose not to serve a Prince they owe 9 favors. But how do they get to earth? Does the Princess of Freedom give them a vessel? Do they have to barter for one?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Jason

Default Re: Free Lilim and Vessels?

Good question. I have a hard time imagining Lilith giving a vessel for free. I'd say that it depends on what you want to have in the character's back story. For PC Free Lillim who don't want to start with extra Geases, I think a suitable explanation might be that the new Lilim found her way to the Guildhall and did enough favors until she earned a vessel.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
William

They make deals for it. Newborn Free Lilim must deal for everything.

They either take enough extra Geases to pay for a Vessel, or if they take fewer, it's assumed that they did so in the past and worked them off, or somehow got their hands on other resources.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Drakyrias

Is there a book reference to support, or just GM interpretation. I generally agree. Just want to know if there is material I can point to.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Omegonthesane

Superiors: Lilith brings up the problem, and points out - for the one person who must have a Vessel without the Geases to match - that Andrealphus routinely gives free first Vessels to Lilim... and then has sex with the Vessel as part of the deal, which is usually pleasurable enough to get said Lilim ensnared in a chain of geases because only your first night with the Prince of Lust is free...
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsofDivinity View Post
Is there a book reference to support, or just GM interpretation. I generally agree. Just want to know if there is material I can point to.
Superiors: Lilith PDF, p. 25 (Andre; the vessel isn't a freebie (the Lilim needs to pay for it in service). Nybbas is also popular.)
ibid, p. 26: Valefor's another good source.
ibid, p. 37: this may be your best bet for a firm answer: "Since Lilim often trade for resources, GMs may want to use the following conversions – both to determine how hard a Tempter had to work to get where she is today, and what she’d have to promise for future advances[.]"

GURPS In Nomine, p. 70: a paragraph about "Free Lilim must bargain for everything."

What may be most helpful is the Fall of the Malakim book/PDF, p. 24. The sample character is stated to have bargained a vessel from Lust, but only owes Geases to Lilith. This pretty much sums up the concept of "If you pay points for it, it's in your backstory that you bargained for it but you don't have a Geas still owed. If you talk your GM into it, you may be able to swap an appropriate Geas for a vessel without paying points. If you get it in the course of the game, you can either pay for it with Geases, points, or both (depending on what the GM feels is fair). If you get it between sessions, same deal: Geases, points, or both, according to the GM's preference."
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Drakyrias

Thank you Omegon and Beth.

Tags
lilim, vessels