Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS 4e books with real-world tank stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
Not even DR.

Tiger WW2 Book, 3E: DR around 400.

Tiger 4E, Pyramid: DR 275.

Sherman, 3E: 300
Sherman, 4E: 210
Panzer IV, 3E: 315
Panzer IV, 4E: 280.

There is a significant difference.
You quoted the part where Fred said "when not dealing with material from the WWII books"...
Old 03-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #22
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You quoted the part where Fred said "when not dealing with material from the WWII books"...
Opps. Sorry!

These are the ones I have here. In other books what are the numbers? And what books? I wanted to take a look to see which ones are possible to use in 4E.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
Opps. Sorry!

These are the ones I have here. In other books what are the numbers? And what books? I wanted to take a look to see which ones are possible to use in 4E.
The 4e Tiger in the Pyramid issue has a Frontal DR of 280.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #24
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The 4e Tiger in the Pyramid issue has a Frontal DR of 280.
Not in my PDF here. The status listed in page 25 are:

TL6: Henschel Tiger Ausf E ST/HP 200; Hnd/SR -2/6; HT 10fx; Move 2/17; LWt. 61.6; Load 1.5 [b]SM] +5; Occ 5; DR 275/220; Range 100; Cost $680,000 Loc 2CT
Old 03-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #25
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Will wait for confirmation on Steampunk 2.
As noted elsewhere, Steampunk 2 doesn't have vehicles, because the point of Steampunk Conveyances was that vehicle stats went there.

However, Steampunk 1 does have a conversion algorithm that creates stats for steampunk vehicles from stats for modern-day real-world designs, and as a worked example, applies that to the Sherman tank stats from High-Tech to create a steampunk "Mobile Fortress". (It also has an algorithm for weapons, and applies that to the Sherman's guns.) So you get a steampunk tank there that's more like what we call a tank than the Land Ironclad in Steampunk Conveyances, which is on, shall we say, a different path of technological evolution.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #26
Varyon

If you want to design your own tanks for 4e, you could do worse than modifying the rules from Spaceships. You'll need "Alternate Spaceships" from Pyramid #3/34, both for the tracked drivetrain and for the armor and volume rules. A necessary modification is to allow concentrating armor - overall DR 200 (for example) could instead be DR 300 for the front and turret and around DR 180 elsewhere. Based on the T-72, the surface area of a typical turreted tank would look something like this:

Code:
Front		5%
Sides		20%
Back		5%
Top		25%
Bottom		35%
Turret		10%
-Front		(2%)
-Sides+Back	(3%)
-Top		(5%)
An issue is that while SS support for beam weapons is mostly alright, the "guns" in that are rather unlike a tank's main cannon (and simply plugging in the mass of a cannon doesn't account for the ammunition hopper, mounts to either fix it in place or allow it to rotate with the turret, etc). But at the very least it's a jumping-off point.

(EDIT: Although now that I look again at it, I can't help but feel I messed something up back when I first came up with these numbers - Top+Turret should actually have a bit more surface area than the Bottom, seeing as the former has a raised bump in the form of the turret, although when rounding to the nearest 5% this was probably lost)
(EDIT2: Found my old numbers, definitely a rounding issue. The top is closer to 27.5% (27.22), while the bottom is closer to 32.5% (32.28), in case anyone was interested)

Last edited by Varyon; 03-04-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #27
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
As noted elsewhere, Steampunk 2 doesn't have vehicles, because the point of Steampunk Conveyances was that vehicle stats went there.

However, Steampunk 1 does have a conversion algorithm that creates stats for steampunk vehicles from stats for modern-day real-world designs, and as a worked example, applies that to the Sherman tank stats from High-Tech to create a steampunk "Mobile Fortress". (It also has an algorithm for weapons, and applies that to the Sherman's guns.) So you get a steampunk tank there that's more like what we call a tank than the Land Ironclad in Steampunk Conveyances, which is on, shall we say, a different path of technological evolution.
Thanks, good to know. I'll add Steampunk 1 to the list.

A different technology tree is fine with the revised rules after there proved too few real-world tank stats to bother narrowing down to that; so long as it's still recognizably a tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If you want to design your own tanks for 4e, you could do worse than modifying the rules from Spaceships. You'll need "Alternate Spaceships" from Pyramid #3/34, both for the tracked drivetrain and for the armor and volume rules. A necessary modification is to allow concentrating armor - overall DR 200 (for example) could instead be DR 300 for the front and turret and around DR 180 elsewhere. Based on the T-72, the surface area of a typical turreted tank would look something like this:

Code:
Front		5%
Sides		20%
Back		5%
Top		25%
Bottom		35%
Turret		10%
-Front		(2%)
-Sides+Back	(3%)
-Top		(5%)
An issue is that while SS support for beam weapons is mostly alright, the "guns" in that are rather unlike a tank's main cannon (and simply plugging in the mass of a cannon doesn't account for the ammunition hopper, mounts to either fix it in place or allow it to rotate with the turret, etc). But at the very least it's a jumping-off point.

(EDIT: Although now that I look again at it, I can't help but feel I messed something up back when I first came up with these numbers - Top+Turret should actually have a bit more surface area than the Bottom, seeing as the former has a raised bump in the form of the turret, although when rounding to the nearest 5% this was probably lost)
(EDIT2: Found my old numbers, definitely a rounding issue. The top is closer to 27.5% (27.22), while the bottom is closer to 32.5% (32.28), in case anyone was interested)
Tanks for the tank system. That is useful information for if I do decide to stat up some of my own tanks.

We seem to about have run out of books with tank stats to link in, so yeah, feel free to discuss tanks. Note that I'll still only be listing official books with tanks in the first post. :)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, vehicles