Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #11
Rolando

Default Re: GURPS 4e books with real-world tank stats

If you are using this as material for a campaign you may be better looking in 3e GURPS books, there are lots of tanks, historical and sci fi. You may use almost every vehicle stat as is, specially DR, speed, endurance and weapons, but not the Accuracy of weapons (you need to halve accuracy to have a better fit for 4e Acc).

If it is for something else, maybe 3e books can also be of use... if you want to know if there is a market or a need for tanks in GURPS 4e, I think that more material, list of tanks (and other AFV's), etc will be appreciated by many.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

From past discussions, I believe that the GURPS WWII books from 3e have crucial inconsistencies with general statting. And I think there's a 3e/4e conversion consideration on HP, but IDK if that's difficult.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
From past discussions, I believe that the GURPS WWII books from 3e have crucial inconsistencies with general statting. And I think there's a 3e/4e conversion consideration on HP, but IDK if that's difficult.
There is a general difference in HP due to basic philosophies between 3e and 4e. The slotution would be to assign 4e HP based on mass whihc is probab;ly pretty easily determined.

The hard part about conversion is that the WWII books are the only Gurps books I know post High Tech 1e where 25m of RHA does not equal DR70. The WWII figures are higher but not by a simple proportion.

I have heard that this was done deliberately because the tank guns were overpenetrating the armor. I'd have nerfed the guns myself.

A multi-step conversion process where you convert the G:WWII DRs to mm of RHA and then convert that to standard Gurps might be possible but it would be a lot of work and then the guns might be wrong.

It might be simpler to find a non-game sourcebook that listed armor thicknesses in mm of RHA and then derive Gurps DRs from that.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I don't know if it has a one line stat listing, but among the sample characters at the end of the Campaigns book, there's a futuristic centauroid robot tank.
I couldn't find the character, but I did find the picture, and that one to me fits under the category of "battle-mech" more than it does "tank". ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
If you are using this as material for a campaign you may be better looking in 3e GURPS books, there are lots of tanks, historical and sci fi. You may use almost every vehicle stat as is, specially DR, speed, endurance and weapons, but not the Accuracy of weapons (you need to halve accuracy to have a better fit for 4e Acc).

If it is for something else, maybe 3e books can also be of use... if you want to know if there is a market or a need for tanks in GURPS 4e, I think that more material, list of tanks (and other AFV's), etc will be appreciated by many.
No campaign or greater purpose, I just like tanks. :)

And GURPS 4e only, please.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #15
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I couldn't find the character, but I did find the picture, and that one to me fits under the category of "battle-mech" more than it does "tank". ;)
I know it doesn't fit your needs, but I was wrong about the book it was in. Page 307 of Characters, NOT Campaigns. Sorry, I knew it existed, but guessed the wrong book.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 PM   #16
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I know it doesn't fit your needs, but I was wrong about the book it was in. Page 307 of Characters, NOT Campaigns. Sorry, I knew it existed, but guessed the wrong book.
No worries. :) No tanks, but thanks. :)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It seems likely that Steampunk 2 has some kind of tank in it, but I don't have that book.
It doesn't have a tank. It has an "Iron Soldier", an 18' tall mechanical man, that is intended to serve a similar purpose on the battlefield, but doesn't carry a crew inside itself.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #18
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
You may use almost every vehicle stat as is, specially DR, speed, endurance and weapons
Not even that. 3E vehicles are practically unusable in 4E. The best way to deal with tanks in modern games is to base ones that already exist on Hight Tech and Pyramid, and create variations on top of them.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post
Not even that. 3E vehicles are practically unusable in 4E.
You ned minor conversion (when not dealing with material from the WWII books) butt hat's just HP, Weapon ACC and Handling I think. DR, weapons damage and oher things will still be slright.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #20
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You ned minor conversion (when not dealing with material from the WWII books) butt hat's just HP, Weapon ACC and Handling I think. DR, weapons damage and oher things will still be slright.
Not even DR.

Tiger WW2 Book, 3E: DR around 400.

Tiger 4E, Pyramid: DR 275.

Sherman, 3E: 300
Sherman, 4E: 210
Panzer IV, 3E: 315
Panzer IV, 4E: 280.

There is a significant difference.

Tags
tank, vehicles