Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Cyratos

Default [IC]: Skies of Steam

Nathaniel Lodgerstone, a well-known archaeologist, historian, anthropologist and explorer, is holding a banquet. All of you have been promptly invited, and therefore decided to attend it. His 17-year old daughter, Elizabeth Jane, has engaged to a famous American lawyer, Henry Dawson.

Dawson is most known for the trial of Gregor McHutcher, where he stood in defense of a man who was thought to be a murderer and a rapist, but managed to prove the prosecutors wrong, showing everyone evidence that the poor man was set up.

The manor is built in a romantic manner. Very simplistic and elegant outside, with a small, but charming garden and a fountain in front of it.

In front of the manor, a man is waiting for arrival of the guests. The man promptly greets everyone, and shows them their way further into the house. He looks like a servant of some sort, most presumably the butler.

As soon as you came in front of him, he asked you for your names and kindly led you inside the manor. As you passed through the first long hall, you saw many souvenirs from Lodgerstone's journeys, including African tribal masks, Egyptian sarcophagus, some old, ancient tablets, crystal balls, Mayan pictographs and many, many other wonders.

It didn't take long before you were taken into the banquet hall, which was highly decorated, with a great number of guests and servants already inside. There are paintings hung all over the room, with eight crystal chandeliers on the ceiling. The velvet curtains on the windows are colored in red, and many plants and flowers are put on the sides of the windows. The tables are round, and there are about 50 of them, situated all around the hall. There is a vast space left in the middle of the hall, probably reserved for the dance. Speaking of music, the string quartet is playing Beethoven's Op. 18, no. 4., Allegro in C-minor.
(ooc: Link)

You see that there are many familiar faces around here, including Admiral Matthew Lobe, known for his brilliant strategic skills, and obsession with bringing all sky pirates to justice. Next there is Lady Francesca Lamberti, Italian baroness, whose late husband, great engineer and inventor, Andrea Lamberti, just recently died, leaving her a massive fortune. Then there are many famous Alchemists, including Francois Guillbert, second in charge of French Royal Alchemist Society, Algernon Fawces, a British Alchemist, whose field of expert are mythical beasts and fairies, Marko Stojanovich, an Alchemist from the Balkans, known for his harsh temperament.

Most of them are sitting, although there are some standing and chatting with their drinks in hands. You are led to your table, where you are asked what you would like to drink.

Captain du Croix, Lady Elizabeth and N!dugon sit at the table with 2 more persons, apparently some American couple, judging by the accent.

Lord Styles, his companion, Tonco and Dr. Singh sit at the table near the large, greek statue of Poseidon, with 2 more persons, as well. Judging by the accent, both are Scottish, and by the looks, apparently brothers.

OOC: Post your drink, describe your characters a bit and resume with whatever you wish.

Last edited by Cyratos; 02-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Cyratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Skullcrusher

Default Re: [IC]: Skies of Steam

Setting his hat on the seat provided for him, Toncho stands behind Lord Styles with a watchful eye of everyone who approaches. When a server approaches to take everyone's drink request, Toncho puts his hand up in refusal and goes back scanning the room for danger.

occ: see attached picture for description http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...nps/Tocho3.jpg

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 02-10-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added picture
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
somecallmetim

Captain du Croix is a short, slim man in his mid thirties. Both his hair and mustache are carefully trimmed and he is wearing an immaculate dress uniform of a French airship captain.

Bowing to the lady at the table, he takes his seat.

To the server " A red wine, something French, si vous plait. A Burgundy, perhaps?"

EDIT: OOC: I should probably also have mentioned that he is wearing an eye patch in the description, sorry.

Last edited by somecallmetim; 02-10-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: stupidly leaving out details
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Cyratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim
Captain du Croix is a short, slim man in his mid thirties. Both his hair and mustache are carefully trimmed and he is wearing an immaculate dress uniform of a French airship captain.

Bowing to the lady at the table, he takes his seat.

To the server " A red wine, something French, si vous plait. A Burgundy, perhaps?"
"Oui, monsieur", says the servant and fetches a bottle of Burgundy.

"This is a vintage from 1873, I hope you will enjoy it, monsieur."

He pours a little bit of wine into your glass. Wine is really rich with taste, just as Burgundy should be.

The lady that sat next to you says:

"I'd like some of it too. Nathaniel never had bad wines in his cellar, as far as I remember."

She turns towards Du Croix, and says:

"French have always had the finest wines, don't you agree? Name's Elizabeth Masters, pleased to meet you, monsieur."

Although in her late thirties, she looks quite stunning. Her dark hair is curled, falling down her shoulders in a really delicate, cute manner. She is wearing a black dress, elegant, but not too much revealing. She has a lot of jewelry, along with the make-up, to conceal her age. She has stunningly big, green eyes, which seem even bigger with the mascara on.

"Gentleman that sits next to me is N!dugon (ooc: this ! is pronounced like a click). You are a friend of Nathaniel, too? How great for his daughter to get engaged with such a lovely young man like Dawson."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher
Setting his hat on the seat provided for him, Toncho stands behind Lord Styles with a watchful eye of everyone who approaches. When a server approaches to take everyone's drink request, Toncho puts his hand up in refusal and goes back scanning the room for danger.
You see many people dressed in pretty much the same manner as Lord Styles usually is. Most of them are chatting and giggling, so you see no danger in that, and interest, as well.

You see that the paintings of white men are stunningly correct and punctual, but some motifs on the pictures, like the one with a woman on the bull in the river (ooc: Picture) are just too hard to understand.

Last edited by Cyratos; 02-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Cyratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Skullcrusher

Toncho relaxes slightly grimly eyeing the woman next to the foppish frenchman thinking to himself that in his land he would have already ravaged her in his lodge by now after killing the fool sitting next to her. He shakes his head and continues scanning the room.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyratos View Post
"Oui, monsieur", says the servant and fetches a bottle of Burgundy.

"This is a vintage from 1873, I hope you will enjoy it, monsieur."

He pours a little bit of wine into your glass. Wine is really rich with taste, just as Burgundy should be.

Ah! Tres bien! Merci.

Quote:
The lady that sat next to you says:

"I'd like some of it too. Nathaniel never had bad wines in his cellar, as far as I remember."

She turns towards Du Croix, and says:

"French have always had the finest wines, don't you agree? Name's Elizabeth Masters, pleased to meet you, monsieur."
"The pleasure is mine, Madame. Indeed, the French people are blessed with excellent land and temperament for the creation of wine."

Quote:
"Gentleman that sits next to me is N!dugon (ooc: this ! is pronounced like a click). You are a friend of Nathaniel, too? How great for his daughter to get engaged with such a lovely young man like Dawson."
Du Croix gives a friendly nod to N!dugon.

Last edited by somecallmetim; 02-10-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Adina

Dr Singh is a small, slight man. He is dressed in proper european evening dress except for his black turban and the medallion and ribbon that mark him as an alchemist. Even behind spectacles, his eyes, though dark in color, are quite lively. He possesses a large, full, salt and pepper beard, that has obviously been the subject of a valiant and mostly successful attempt to tame it. The observant will note the hilt of a small decorated knife discretely tucked into his waistband, the especially observant will also note that it is peace-bonded with white cord.

Good evening gentlemen. Feasgar math. I am Dr Ranjit Singh from Lahore, it is a pleasure to meet you.

His english is clear and precise, but it is clearly not his native tongue. This, combined with his warm brown complexion, clearly shows his Indian lineage.

(to the servant)
A touch of water will be sufficent, or a bit of fruit juice if you have any.

The bride is lovely, is she not? I declare that she is the second loveliest bride I have ever seen.

His eyes contain a slight twinkle as he says this with a smile.

Lovelier than any save my own.

Last edited by Adina; 02-11-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: put his glasses on.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
chimchim

Lord styles is sat in the formal dress uniform of his former regiment Her Britanic Majesties Grenadier Guards though he looks dashing in the uniform it is obvious to all in the room he is also somewhat overly warm and a little uncomfortable. The cause of his mild discomfort apears to be too many years of less than active service making the fit of the uniform a little on the close side. As a waiter aproaches he waves them over and asks if they have any Port. As soon as the waiter withdraws he will turn to Toncho and say "I say old man look after this for me." as he hands him his Beer skin.
"My good sir I served a year in Punjab and visited Lahore more than once. A fine city. I am Lord Major Styles of the Grenadier Guards it is good to make your acquaintence. This is Toncho my batman"
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
ACuterTriangle

N!Dugon glances around the room while the waiter is taking orders. He is a slim tanned young man, scented with macassar and in fashionable evening dress, save for a sash and dagger around his waist. He notes a number of exotic people around the room and makes a mental note to act a little extraordinary tonight so as not to be outshone.

When the waiter approaches, N!Dugon asks for, "something sparkling for me, a Cava perhaps, but Champagne will do." He raises his glass to Du Croix and says, "I'm afraid my tastes in wine aren't terribly civilized. I was but recently rescued from the ghastly void beyond the edge of the world by my dear Countess."

Lady Elizabeth laughs. "Captain, N!Dugon is teasing you! He is merely from Australia, though it is a place of mystery to be sure."

[Assuming Du Croix is not offended] N!Dugon returns the friendly nod. "How are you and the Lodgerstones acquainted, Captain?" N!Dugon asks. "Lady Elizabeth has thoroughly regaled me with tales of the Nathaniel of the family's exploits, and I look forward to meeting him."

Last edited by ACuterTriangle; 02-10-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added color
ACuterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACuterTriangle View Post
N!Dugon glances around the room while the waiter is taking orders. He is a slim tanned young man, scented with macassar and in fashionable evening dress, save for a sash and dagger around his waist. He notes a number of exotic people around the room and makes a mental note to act a little extraordinary tonight so as not to be outshone.

When the waiter approaches, N!Dugon asks for, "something sparkling for me, a Cava perhaps, but Champagne will do." He raises his glass to Du Croix and says, "I'm afraid my tastes in wine aren't terribly civilized. I was but recently rescued from the ghastly void beyond the edge of the world by my dear Countess."

Lady Elizabeth laughs. "Captain, N!Dugon is teasing you! He is merely from Australia, though it is a place of mystery to be sure."
Du Croix laughs. "Ghastly rightly describes any place where Cava would substitute for proper Champagne."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACuterTriangle View Post
N!Dugon returns the friendly nod. "How are you and the Lodgerstones acquainted, Captain?" N!Dugon asks. "Lady Elizabeth has thoroughly regaled me with tales of the Nathaniel of the family's exploits, and I look forward to meeting him."
"We met while I serving in Africa. Monsieur Lodgerstone's mastery of German and diplomacy were invaluable in resolving a very delicate situation. I look forward to seeing him again," smiling at Lady Elizabeth, "especially on such a happy occasion."