Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default An experiment in secret campaign conversion...

Ok, for quite a long while, I was having issues with my D&D Eberron campaign, mostly due to my frustration with the D&D system itself. Then, I finally decided to convert the whole damn campaign to GURPS. But I new my group would have a problem with that.

So I decided on a cunning plan: Under the guise of telling my players I'd be handling all the rule-related issues such as Dice rolling, HP tracking and the like, I secretly converted their characters into GURPS stats, and then did just what I said I'd do, using GURPS rules instead of D&D rules. Mind you, I'm taking a Cinematic Approach to the whole thing: their GURPS sheets are mostly a list of ads, disads and skills without point totals, and I'm mostly using skill rolls as guidelines, no more.

Thus far, nobody's noticed the difference. If anything, the game's combat sessions have run faster then they ever did with D&D. Only problem was that the group's only spellcaster, a Cleric, wanted to keep using her Clerical Spell Slots (even though I offered to keep track of those, too), and throughout the game session, used more then a few spells I hadn't heard from she'd read in various D20 books, such as Relics and Rituals 2 and Magic of Faerun.

I'm thinking of resolving this by giving her GURPS character Syntactic Magic instead of a spell list. In the meantime, I just ask her what the spell does, nod my head, and make something up appropriate using existing spell effects.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: An experiment in secret campaign conversion...

Spell slot merized magic, cleric based

Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) Spells only -20%, Limited Use 1/d (-40%), Peperation required (1 minute) -20%

Total Cost: 2 points per possible point to put into the slot.

Edit, on closer readind that does quite wore as comic limits you to only one slot 8(

so lets try agian:

Modular Abilities (Super-memorization) Spells only -20%, Limited Use 1/day (-40%), Peperation required (1 minute) -20% [replace spellbook with Reaction check with diety +0%]

a 1 point spell slot costs = 2pt (prep time = 61 seconds)
a 2 point spell slot costs = 3pt (prep time = 62 seconds)
a 4 point spell slot costs = 4pt (prep time = 64 seconds)
a 8 point spell slot costs = 6pt (prep time = 68 seconds)
a 12 point spell slot costs = 9pt (prep time = 72 seconds)
a 16 point spell slot costs =11pt (prep time = 76 seconds)
etc..

basicly Properation time is the time it trake to pray for access to each spell.

Last edited by roguebfl; 02-14-2005 at 10:15 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Wonder Lemming

I wish I could see your players faces when you tell them they were'nt actually playing D&D.

I know some people who'd commit Seppuku if they dared touch something not published/supported by WoTC (one guy refused to play Munchkin and Illuminati because he couldn't see why anyone wouldn't want to play M:TG)
Wonder Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
I wish I could see your players faces when you tell them they were'nt actually playing D&D.
Heh.. I can't wait to reveal this surprise on them.. In 3-4 game sessions.. Or perhaps after they've finished the dungeon. I only really have one vehemently "D20-Only" player, and I fear he may drop out of the game unless I can pull off a critical success in negociating with him.

And thanks for the tip, Rogue. I think that can work.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
thastygliax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
Only problem was that the group's only spellcaster, a Cleric, wanted to keep using her Clerical Spell Slots (even though I offered to keep track of those, too), and throughout the game session, used more then a few spells I hadn't heard from she'd read in various D20 books, such as Relics and Rituals 2 and Magic of Faerun.
I'm a bit confused why you're allowing her to use spells you don't know about yourself...? Maybe I'm a cruel, nasty GM, but I never let my players' characters have skills or powers that I haven't approved first. And if I don't own the book it's from, it's verrrry unlikely that I'd approve it, regardless of system. As GM, I need to know what the characters are capable of, and how it all works. And I've seen at least one game go down in flames after the GM allowed the use of material she neither owned nor understood.

Other than that, the Syntactic Magic fix sounds fine.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thastygliax
I'm a bit confused why you're allowing her to use spells you don't know about yourself...? Maybe I'm a cruel, nasty GM, but I never let my players' characters have skills or powers that I haven't approved first. And if I don't own the book it's from, it's verrrry unlikely that I'd approve it, regardless of system. As GM, I need to know what the characters are capable of, and how it all works. And I've seen at least one game go down in flames after the GM allowed the use of material she neither owned nor understood.

Other than that, the Syntactic Magic fix sounds fine.

That's a good point. And since she's a Cleric, I'm well within rights to know what spells she's prepared.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Whitey Fats

Quote:
That's a good point. And since she's playing in my campaign, I'm well within rights to know what spells she's prepared.
Fixed for accuracy

Last edited by Whitey Fats; 08-20-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Whitey Fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If anything, the game's combat sessions have run faster then they ever did with D&D..
They haven't noticed that hexes are different from squares? Or that they have facing now? Or that they have hit locations? People getting crippled? That they have to choose a defense when they are attacked? Or that you keep rolling 3d6 instead of a d20? Do they just think you are using a very comprehensive set of house rules?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Only problem was that the group's only spellcaster, a Cleric, wanted to keep using her Clerical Spell Slots (even though I offered to keep track of those, too), and throughout the game session, used more then a few spells I hadn't heard from she'd read in various D20 books, such as Relics and Rituals 2 and Magic of Faerun.
I am surprised that you let her get away with this. One of the corrolaries of Game Master Is God, for me, has always been that the rules of the game must be known to the game master. If a spell is in a book I own, and I've said that we'll be using it, or if I've added it to the list of spells myself (and published it to the players, because I don't do stealth GMing), then it's part of the rules. But a player can't just say, "Oh, there's this spell in this book I've read" and get to use it. Why on earth would you let a player get away with that, and why would players expect that they can just go out and buy a book and expect to use any spell, magic item, feat, character class, or whatever it happens to contain, without the GM getting to vet it for campaign appropriateness?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
carllarson

That's the beauty of d20/D&D, everything is RAW to the players, and then comes the rules lawyering. Or so it seems.

Although in this case, it aids his plot, by making folks think they're still playing something other than GURPS.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote