Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #91
Cyratos

Default Re: OOC: Skies of Steam

Singh may have suspicions, if he wants to. So far, the only character that has been observing N!Dugon with care is Toncho, as seen in IC threads.

But yes, you've noticed correctly that his name doesn't suit his appearance.

<comparing PbP with IRL rp> I'm still getting used to this, conversations IRL with my players usually take a WHILE, since most of them are really actors, performing on stage. But, PbP erases the probability of those HORRIBLE fights they get into as characters. </comparing PbP with IRL rp>
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #92
Skullcrusher

Toncho will be watching N'dugen closely everytime he is around him. Let me know if I have to roll any perception rolls.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #93
ACuterTriangle

Yeah, N!Dugon is treading on thin ice here. I don't think he planned on going up against a linguist and an authentic primitive person. (I know I wasn't planning on it, but [bats aren't bugs].) He has cobbled his persona together from snippets of rumor, cultural knowledge, and imagination. As a con perpetrated on ignorant persons, it works because he can be what the victim wishes for. But it doesn't hold up around knowledgeable people.

I tried to give him useful skills in addition to an interesting personality, but maybe he is a better concept than character. Like I said, I have never played an RPG before. I'm not...exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing. :) Any advice is appreciated!
ACuterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #94
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACuterTriangle View Post
Yeah, N!Dugon is treading on thin ice here. I don't think he planned on going up against a linguist and an authentic primitive person. (I know I wasn't planning on it, but [bats aren't bugs].) He has cobbled his persona together from snippets of rumor, cultural knowledge, and imagination. As a con perpetrated on ignorant persons, it works because he can be what the victim wishes for. But it doesn't hold up around knowledgeable people.

I tried to give him useful skills in addition to an interesting personality, but maybe he is a better concept than character. Like I said, I have never played an RPG before. I'm not...exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing. :) Any advice is appreciated!
Oh, I think being caught in a lie makes for a very interesting character!
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #95
Cyratos

Well, since N!Dugon is a con-artist, I don't see a thing he cannot do. If you have some more specific questions, send them via PM, we can do something to sort this out.

The most important thing about being caught in a lie is to explain why there was a lie, and most of the time, people forgive them. There is still that roll of 17 and 18 in real life, though.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #96
ACuterTriangle

Oh, I see. I didn't know if being caught would be "losing." Thanks, guys, for explaining.
ACuterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #97
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACuterTriangle View Post
Just play the character.:) The conman/mercenary/criminal with a heart of gold is fairly common in fiction. Or maybe he finds that when he is put to the test he can rise to the occasion, or learns to accept who he is, or...

Take the character and see where he goes.

Jeff
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #98
Adina

Does Lady Elizabeth have a title or last name? Dr Singh is a bit formal, so he would be using that instead of 'Lady Elizabeth'.
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #99
Cyratos

Her fuull name is Elizabeth Caroline Masters, although she has only introduced herself as Elizabeth Masters so far. She is a lady, she doesn't have a specific title. She does, however, have an interesting reputation as a female archaeologist... and she's beautiful by appearance, although 38 years old. (she looks 28)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #100
Cyratos

@ the engine:

Capacitators are basically power generators, but in this manner they draw the power from the powerstone, and use it to generate steam. Basically, they are enchanted to cast spells to create fire and steam. Ergo, if the malfunction of the main capacitator has been caused due to magic, Singh could try to repair it on a good thaumatology and alchemy roll.

Engineers ought to have a mage amongst them, since they're dealing with a magically-infused engine here, but still, every help is more than welcome.

@ the Alchemy
Alchemy, although it is used for creation of concoctions, is used in explaining the basic magical principles. One does not need to be a mage to use it, though.